Archinect
anchor

strange habits?

wood_

I have the tendency to sleep with a stack of books by my pillow. Anyone else with a strange habit?

Mar 9, 06 11:28 pm
WonderK

bed related? or in general? because you know this could go south pretty quickly.

I sleep w/ a towel on my pillow. have for years. I dunno, terrycloth is just comforting.

Mar 10, 06 12:26 am  · 
 · 
wood_

general strange habits

Mar 10, 06 12:29 am  · 
 · 
sheri25

I chew gum while sleeping

Mar 10, 06 4:10 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

I design while sleeping

Mar 10, 06 4:24 am  · 
 · 
upside

i sleep while designing

Mar 10, 06 4:26 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

sleep..

what's that ?

Mar 10, 06 4:29 am  · 
 · 
hibz

i always get the brightest ideas when i'm comfortably lying in bed and ready to shut off my system, and i always tell myself ill remember them later because i don't feel like getting up just to write everything down. and then the next morning i'm blanked out again with nothing to start with. right, so now, whenever i'm desparate i set my alarm 10 min in advance then fool my body into thinking it's actually gonna get some rest, 10 minutes later i get that crappy reality shock but the thoughts are still there. works 80% of the time. haha yeah not so much of a strange habit but it's a really good tip.

Mar 10, 06 5:09 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

I've gotten so accustomed to working with headphones on, that much of the time I put them in compulsively and never actually turn on music. A cool byproduct of this habit that I acquired in arch school is that I can hear everything that's going on, but other people think I'm listening to music. When someone wants my attention, they usually shout my name and start waving their hands, which is funny.

Mar 10, 06 8:24 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

i'm doing the headphones no music thing right now. You can help the sell if you bob your head along with a beat.

Mar 10, 06 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

The head-bob is good. Occasionally, I play the air-drums, as well.

Mar 10, 06 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Anonymous

How bout other peoples strange habits. My favorite is John Ronan gnawing on his hand when he gets bored on a jury.

Personal strange habits....waking up and sketching out a design that came to you in your sleep. But that's not strange right?

Mar 10, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Sometimes when I'm bored, like sitting in class or a jury, I pull out my facial hairs. But not really anymore since I switched back to a blade razor from electric.

There is this girl at school that tugs on this lock of hair all day, everyday. It's annnoying.

I hate when people have that habit of moving their mouth as though they are chewing gum, but they aren't.

Mar 10, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 
myriam

My dad has developed that old-man habit of sucking on his teeth which is really annoying. I get trapped in the car with him for hour-long rides to the airport and all I can think about is the vortex of smacking noises I'm trapped in.

My roommate also pulls at her hair constantly. She does this while talking to you and it's very distracting.

As for me... I have long hair, and it gets all over my hands in the shower when I wash it, so I stick it on the wall to get it off and keep it from clogging up the drain. Then I spend the rest of the shower noticing naked female shapes in the strands of the hairs on the wall. It's like my own personal Rorshach... except it's always sinewy, naked women with long hair--never any other shapes. I like this habit, though.

Mar 10, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 

i chew gum incessantly. and when the flavor dies i spit out the piece and pop in a new one. so there is constant renewal of flavor. this habit, i've been told by my boyfriend, is odd AND wasteful.
and i snap my gum. but that's probably more annoying than strange. i've gotten a lot better at not doing it but i think i still do it. or so i'm told.

Mar 10, 06 10:34 am  · 
 · 
hibz

i like to swallow my gum after the flavour goes off, been doing that for ages. so now if that 7 year myth is true i guess there's a huuge chunk of gum lying somewhere in my stomach, or a gum coating developing on the walls. u can't really tell from the outside though.

Mar 10, 06 11:27 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i crack my toes (with my other toes). so i'll pop my foot out of my shoe just for a bit, crack my big and index (is that term appropriate for toes?) toe and slip it back in the shoe.

Mar 11, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Superglue, I do the same thing...
About half of the books I own are stacked up by my bed. But then again, half of the clothes I own are on my couch and half of the shoes I own are on the floor outside my closet.

Mar 12, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

i've got this habit of thinking 'ctrl+z, ctrl+z, 'ctrl+z!!!!!' whenever i fuck something up, dropped some eggs from the fridge tonight but they remained broken on the floor despite my mental 'computer plea' for undoing... scary, i think i might need a break from the digital world.

Mar 12, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Yup, got the headphones no music thing going on here too.

I have a strange habit of watching Time/Life music infomercials from start to finish. For some reason these things totally fascinate me, the archival footage and odd songs I've never heard before are mesmerizing. Even after they've started showing the same footage and songs, I can't turn away.

Mar 12, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

doberman i think ctrl+z all the time! threadless has a tshirt with that on it. threadless rules.

Mar 12, 06 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I have a bad habit of looking at this website too much.

Mar 12, 06 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

My boss pulls on his facial hair. Eyebrows to be specific and only when he's stressed out or listening to you butcher the explanation of some design concept. If at some point throughout your presentation of "Alternative A" your boss pulls his eyebrow out...you should start thinking more seriously about "Alternative B". Everybody always picks B anyways.

His eyebrow pulling (or my design skills, whichever the case may be) got so bad that we did some investigation. We found that this is a serious disease called Trichotillimania and there is at least one online support group. [url=http://www.trichsupport.com]here[url]

I also have a habit of setting my alarm for 5am even though I fully intend on getting out of bed at 7. I've somehow conviced myself that this snoozing condition will make me aware that I am sleeping and thus aware of how great it feels to be sleeping in until 7. This really pisses my girlfriend right off. We're working on it.

Mar 12, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy
here
Mar 12, 06 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

God, I want to pick all those little stars off my screen! How are those supposed to help someone with a compulsive disorder?

My father had a student who had it. The girl without eyebrows story was a popular cautionary tale growing up.

Mar 12, 06 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

your father should send the poor girl a card on June 22nd. Its is International Trich Day afterall.

Mar 13, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

I have another.

i go to work on weekends (almost twice a month)

Mar 13, 06 2:19 am  · 
 · 
e909
I sleep w/ a towel on my pillow

i do often because my hair's wet (shower before beddibyez)
or i use something else as bulky, such as one of those plaid shirt-jackets.

Mar 13, 06 3:25 am  · 
 · 
e909

i try not fall asleep with pen or pencil in bed. i visualize rolling over it and having it jam in my eye. (one eyed e909, not a pretty sight)
http://images.google.com/images?q=pen+%7C+pencil+%7C+sharp+%22%7Eeye%22+poke

Mar 13, 06 3:30 am  · 
 · 
e909

i try to sleep while "sleeping"
now lets ask mikey.

Mar 13, 06 3:30 am  · 
 · 
e909

hibz:
yeah, and i need a waterproof drawing pad for ideas (yah, like those brilliant operetta lyrics) that come while in the shower.

Mar 13, 06 3:32 am  · 
 · 
e909

hey sherri24, i can pat gum while chewing my stomach.

Mar 13, 06 3:33 am  · 
 · 
e909
i'm doing the headphones no music thing right now.

that's taking the rundown batteries technique too far.

Mar 13, 06 3:34 am  · 
 · 
e909
I hate when people have that habit of moving their mouth as though they are chewing gum, but they aren't.

what're they chewing? tobacco? cud? inside of cheek? tongue?

their batteries?

Mar 13, 06 3:36 am  · 
 · 
wood_

I'm sleeping with two more books I bought today.

Mar 13, 06 3:38 am  · 
 · 
e909
We found that this is a serious disease called Trichotillimania and there is at least one online support group.

{add one to Brazilian Wax for Xmas list}

Mar 13, 06 3:39 am  · 
 · 
e909
The girl without eyebrows story was a popular cautionary tale growing up.

i thought that was the "playing with matches" fable?

Mar 13, 06 3:40 am  · 
 · 
e909

i'm sleeping now. but you knew that.

Mar 13, 06 3:40 am  · 
 · 
e909
I'm sleeping with two more books I bought today.

menage a text

Mar 13, 06 3:42 am  · 
 · 
e909
God, I want to pick all those little stars off my screen!

try a can of spray paint

Mar 13, 06 3:43 am  · 
 · 
e909

i'm sleeping now. can't you tell?

Mar 13, 06 3:44 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore
Mar 13, 06 4:35 am  · 
 · 
doberman

^^^^
that's too much!!!!!

Mar 13, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 

a guy in my office trims his nails at his desk. if that's not a strange (read: bad) habit, i don't know what is.
i hear the noise of the clippers and i cringe.

Mar 13, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

haha .. nevermore .. too funny ..

one of them axe mouse pads ?

Mar 16, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
e909

disappointed that his hand found Mouse instead of (!)

Mar 26, 06 4:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

likr marcel proust, i do all my work in bed...unfortunately, i'm underemployed...

Mar 26, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 

performing 'peg' as acapella beatbox counts as a strange habit. not one of mine, mind you.

Mar 26, 06 10:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

steven you and liberty should use this version of peg as a framework for your class. now drink your big black cow and get out of here...

Mar 26, 06 10:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

okay i just downloaded "show biz kidz" a compilation of steely dan tunes. all their songs are about drugs you know. which one is dan??

Mar 26, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 

you don't wanna call nobody else.

Mar 26, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: