Archinect
anchor

how lucky do you feel?

IADR

Does anyone feel fortunate to be in the design world? Whether that be in the field of architecture or other design related areas.
If you do feel fortunate, do you wish you earnt more, or possibly got more respect?
I personally feel that designers play a very powerful role in society, they influence how comfortable people are, they portray a certain image about the consumer via the products the consumer purchases.

Jul 4, 04 12:35 pm
anatomical gift

Fortunate? Fortune requires luck and I think most people made a concious decision to become a designer. Personally, I think I would have been happy doing a lot of things with my life. It may sound pessimistic but I just decided one day that I wanted to do Architecture without really knowing what it was about. I just wanted to pick something to be passionate about because I thought people who were passionate about something were happier (like the movie Adaptation). I don't regret the decision but I also don't think that architecture or design is the only road to happiness for me. Architecture does lend itself to people who are passionate so I think I made a good decision that way. If I wasn't in design I would need to be doing something that could consume me like architecture does.

"There are too many ideas and too many people. And too many directions to go. I was starting to believe that the reason it matters to care passionately about something, is that is whittles the world down to a more manageable size."

Jul 4, 04 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

John Laroche: Then one morning, I woke up and said, "Fuck fish." I renounce fish, I will never set foot in that ocean again. And there hasn't been a time where I have stuck so much as a toe back in that ocean.
Susan Orlean: But why?
John Laroche: Done with fish.

Jul 4, 04 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: