Archinect
anchor

Best Laptop available on the market

trace™

My RAID config if from Dell. They only offer 0 or 1 as stock, but they support RAID 5 and 10 (not 100% sure about the 10 - I didn't have the drives for that, but it seems the best) and they walked me through the entire configuration process. I just love the Gold Tech Support!! Really, I never wait more than 5-10 minutes. Good stuff, makes my life less stressful.

I have three 250 gig drives in there, though, so you need 3 to get RAID 5 (it's a cross between 0 and 1, if you weren't aware).

As for Max, I'd be happy with $2k. Ideally, I'd like to have a few copies but wouldn't need all the bells and whistles with each one. So Character Studio, while becoming more applicable with motion capture data readily available, I don't need a bunch of copies.

not holding my breath, though. If ADesk acts like a typical monopoly, they'll get rid of the cheaper Mayas and keep Max high.

If they are smart, they'll follow Adobe's lead and offer choices, but big discounts if you buy a bunch of things (like Combustion, Cleaner, etc.).

I'd look at C4D for arch viz. Much better community. XSI has a nice following in HWood, but not for arch viz. You can get Final Render for C4D (that's what I use), too. Lightwave is pretty cheap these days, too.

Mar 19, 06 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'm looking for a laptop. Is it a bad idea to buy a refurbished one?

Mar 19, 06 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Personally, I wouldn't just because they are so sensitive to begin with.

Here's the specs I got my friend, great deal:

Dell E1505
1.83 Dual Core
1 Gig ram
100 gig hd, 5400rpm
15.4" WSXGA screen
Intel WIFI (whatever the upgrade was a/g)
MS Works
4 Year Premium Support (that's onsite and accident coverage)

Total: $1431 ($750 off with coupon, so it was originally $2k+)

That includes tax and shipping. Great deal, imho. Only questionable thing was the integrated 256mb Intel Graphics card (no other option). Fine for what he's doing, but for 3D not so sure it'll hold up.

Mar 20, 06 8:57 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

that's a great deal... where can someone get that $750 coupon?

Mar 20, 06 9:04 am  · 
 · 
trace™
www.techbargains.com

fantastic site, just great deals everywhere

Mar 20, 06 10:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: