Archinect
anchor

Include artwork in grad school app?

bowling_ball

I'm not sure if anybody here is familiar with the various Pre-Master's architecture programs at certain Canadian universities, but I'm applying to three of these programs in 2007. In the meantime, I'm getting my grad-school application portfolio ready to go, well in advance.

My previous education is in product design, so obviously my portfolio will be design-heavy. However, I also attended (and won an award at) a well-known art school after high school. I've kept a handful of my favorite pieces (mostly etching, lithography, and some illustration).

Would it be appropriate to include a couple of pages of my artwork in my portfolio? This isn't filler... I'm quite proud of the work I did all those years ago. I'm just not sure if anybody else really cares.

(The programs to which I'm applying have traditionally accepted undergrads from various backgrounds, not just architecture and design.... I'm sure the Canadians here know which schools I'm talking about.)

If you've read this far, thanks.

Mar 3, 06 11:34 pm

slantsix,

i transferred into architecture school from fine arts and only had artwork and good grades to recommend me. not pmq but first bachelor degree, and back then (1991, or so) there were artists teaching studio as well as architects, but i don't believe the attitudes have changed so much...

so would recommend including them if you think they are good and they show something about how you think/approach art/design...

i went to university of manitoba, btw. there were people from all backgrounds in march who went through the type of program you are looking at. most did well as far as i can recall. luck to ya.

Mar 4, 06 2:14 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That's really good to hear, jump. Thank you.

My first choice, coincidentally, is UManitoba. Other (non-architect) people seem to think I'm crazy for wanting to move to Winterpeg, but I'm pretty excited by the whole prospect.

Thanks again.

Mar 4, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
n_

my professor attended yale university and he is most certain that he was accepted because he included his paintings. actually, a professor came to him in the first week of studio and told him that his painting stood out from all the other portfolios. it worked for him so i highly recommend it.

Mar 6, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

absolutely! Most "institutions" enjoy seeing the depth of someone's creative exploration. Regarding art, I had charcoal and pastel large format, figure and stills in addition to my undgrad arch stuff and I was told one reason they liked my portofolio was due to its/my diversity and range of medium. I applied and visited 4 schools, was accepted by all, and they all said the same thing about the range of media in my portfolio.

I don't mean to sound a braggard... you should include ANYTHING that exibits your creative thought process and capacity... it will not hurt your portfolio!

Mar 7, 06 2:07 am  · 
 · 
wood_

which school did you apply for cowgill?
I use a wide range of media in my portfolio as well though there wasn't a particular theme to the overall presentation.

Mar 7, 06 2:12 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

sci-arc, ohio state, virginia tech, clemson... sorry no canadian mate!

I didn't have a particular "theme" either... just a type of graphic structure... I treated each project individually but made sure it was governed by the books' graphics.

There was really no way for me to weave my art into the arch part of my portfolio so I just made another "chapter" and included non-arch stuff there.

Mar 7, 06 2:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: