Archinect
anchor

Internship in JDS Architect

Hello,

I got an offer to do internship in JDS Architect in Brussel but unfortunately it's unpaid. I want to ask is it common in europe about unpaid intern? I am a fresh graduate from architectural engineering from Indonesia and I thought that fresh graduate intern will get salary but unfortunately there's no salary.

I think, Brussel has high cost of living and it will be difficult for me to get the visa because I  have unpaid internship. So I am thinking to find funding for my internship, but it is a bit difficult :(

So I ask you, how's the work environment in JDS? do we learn and get lot of skill there?

thanks.

Jan 15, 12 1:06 am
RED_M

JDS, BIG and that kind of "ubertrendy" offices offer unpaid internships. It is not common in Europe to be unpaid if you intern in a more traditional star-system office (even at OMA you will be paid a small stipend) or in something more corporate.

Jan 15, 12 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
nicolasmjlee

Hi Fani,

Congrats on your offer! I am also interested in working for European firms such as JDS and I am wondering if you could tell me how the application works? (How many pages was your portfolio? Did you have reference letters? Were interviews conducted through skype?) I would really appreciate your help and insight!

Jan 16, 12 11:20 am  · 
 · 

@RED_M thanx for the info. OMA is paid internship but I think it's very difficult to get the offer since it's a starchitect. In Europe there's a erasmus program which give scholarship/grant to do internship abroad but in my country, I haven't found any info about the grant.

@leen thanx,but right now I'm still trying to find allowance to support my life during internship :(
Btw, i just send online portfolio,CV,and motivation letter. They don't have an interview. What is your email? I will send you my online portfolio link.

Jan 16, 12 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
TheMasterBuilder

Why are you excited about the prospect of working for someone who isn't paying you? That sounds horrible to me. I don't care how "ubertrendy" they are, if they don't respect you enough as a person to pay you a salary, look for someone who will. I mean, chances are you'll be fetching coffee for the first 6 months anyway, that's how all firms are.

Jan 16, 12 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

They pay the janitor, but not their interns

Jan 17, 12 1:01 am  · 
 · 
go do it

ask them if they will come and work at your house or apartment for free

just for the experiance 

Jan 17, 12 1:35 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

that is crazy.  I am tired of hearing about this shit.  Do not work for nothing. 

Jan 17, 12 11:07 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Where does all this " you people are a dime a dozen" attitude come from - recession? too many of us?

Jan 17, 12 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

there are lots of offices that would love to have free help. of course... having some of those offices names on your cv can help you later in life... if you can afford it. 

but to answer your question: no. almost all internships or... jobs... in europe are paid with  benefits. 

Jan 17, 12 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
own1221

"They pay the janitor, but not their interns" - best quote ever!

Jan 17, 12 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: