Archinect
anchor

architectural/design practices in los angeles

quinoline yellow

any recommendations for design practices in los angeles that offer part-time internships/apprentices? i am at a very begining level and just want to get some more experience making models, as well as some exposure to Autocad. i have a list of practices i'm interested in contacting, but I wanted to see if anybody else had some suggestions.

thanks!

Mar 1, 06 7:28 pm
mdler

go for gehry

Mar 1, 06 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
fireplacemesh

to enter the arch designer forum

Mar 1, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
fireplacemesh

I am looking for the great residental designers.
For we can provide a special decorative material.
mesh drapery,fireplace mesh
MSN:[email protected]
http://www.masewa-wiremesh.com
email add:[email protected]

Mar 1, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
spiderdad

call brad.

Mar 1, 06 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

so you want somewhere that will pay a below-entry-level employee with no skills to hang out at their office and attempt to glue things together?

Sorry if that sounds bitchy, but it's just what came to mind when I read this because you don't mention what YOU can do for THEM. I know lots of design practices that build models and use autocad, but you've given us nothing to narrow down the field with.

Mar 2, 06 1:07 am  · 
 · 
quinoline yellow

chill out dude. i don't even expect to get paid. that's why i said "A part time internship/apprenticeship": because an internship/apprenticeship would be the practical route to follow in order to learn those practical skills no? i know i don't have much to offer these firms, except some basic photoshopping/illustrator/indesign, videomaking, and a little experience in modelmaking but not much. also my background isn't in design so i just wanted to get my feet wet a bit before i take the dive. and no i'm not afraid of diving. and yes i know how architecture is.

Mar 2, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
quinoline yellow

*and yes i know how hard architecture is.

Mar 2, 06 1:21 am  · 
 · 
this_guy

You learn those things in school man. No one is going to want you hanging around trying to learn things while they are trying to run a business. It is like putting on a paramedic uniform and riding around in an ambulance to try to learn CPR. You would do more harm then good. Sorry to put it that way man, not a jab at you, but that just seems like a kind of naive thing to be looking for. It is good you are thinking about Arch though. But try school first….

Mar 2, 06 2:10 am  · 
 · 
quinoline yellow

yes i am going to school next fall. however due to my background, i don't have that much studio experience/ practical skills. i'd like to gain some so i won't be as bogged down with some practical basics when school starts .oh never mind. i will figure it out without your help. poop.

Mar 2, 06 3:45 am  · 
 · 
spaceghost

do a little research on firms first. then call around and see if anybody needs their sample libraries organized or catalogs put away. start there. most of the time they get into a push with a model or something else like that and might pull you on. as you get comfortable you might also find another niche you as a free employee can offer them.

i would however recommend working for at least minimum wage. if your time isn't worth 8$ an hour to them, you won't be either. if not try to get into construction. can probably learn more there anyways at this time.

Mar 2, 06 4:04 am  · 
 · 
kim l.

for autocad skills, just take a night class of it at your local JC...it's pretty simple stuff and the class will be cheap.

as for working in a firm...you don't necessarily need to do autocad and model for them to be able to familiarize yourself with the environment. i've found that alot of pple i go to school with were in the dark of how a firm runs and the amount of work that is required. Snowboarstar2 is right...you will learn all the modeling skills you'll need in the first week (provided you adapt quickly). my suggestion: get a job that's easy to get at a firm (ie admin etc), then take some program classes at night. that way you'll have money when you start school and wont have to spend time trying to learn all the programs once it starts up; you can use that time to work on your shit (trust me you'll need it)

an idea of the programs i've had to learn in the first semester and 1/2:
illustrator, rhino, maya, more autocad, and a little surf cam for milling and laser cutting.

hope that helps and good luck

Mar 7, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Try the "jobs" link here at Archinect. Seriously, I am not being a smart ass at all.

Also try losangeles.craigslist.org.

Mar 8, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: