Archinect
anchor

Printer Advice

topophilia

I am shopping for a printer to print my portfolio and am having trouble finding the perfect printer - prints larger than 11 x 17, individual ink cartridges, excellent quality prints, and doesn't cost a fortune. Does anyone have any advice? Or general advice about brands - I am looking at Epson (heard lots of bad things about blocked ink nozzles), HP, and Canon. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Feb 27, 06 10:02 am
e

seach the achives here. this topic has been discussed many times.

Feb 27, 06 10:15 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I love my canon, so much better than my old epson.

I don't think you're going to get decent 11x17 for under $400, probably closer to $500.

Feb 27, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i got a HP 9800 which prints up to 13x19. quality was def. high enough for my grad school app portfolio albeit with some slight annoyances here and there. i think it set me back $300.

getting the color right took a bit of playing w/ settings. def. not as high quality as the high end epsons though.

Feb 27, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
mlee

There seems to be this preference for Epsons out there, but I've had both Canons and Epsons, and in my opinion, there shouldn't be any question - Canons are way better. I've got a Canon i9900, paid $400 for it brand new, ink is cheap, better than anything epson's got within a few hundred dollars. My recommendation is definitely with canon. I think just about all of their printers in the $200-$300 range print borderless. Stay away from their new ink tank system though. The pixma ip6000d is about as good as you can get for your money. Some people think that having a lot of ink tanks will be too expensive (i think the 6000 has 4 or 6) it's actually cheaper than having two because it's far more efficient (with better quality). I've got 8 tanks in my i9900 and I spend much less on tanks than I did with a 2 tank epson.

Feb 27, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: