Archinect
anchor

Licensure & Immigration

wannabe

Hello....
I am a student with F-1 visa (which means not a US citizen)....
I am just thinking ...when I do the internship for three years, which type of immigrant status I will fall into?
Or the archi frim who are accepting me as an intern need to sponsor me or sth?.....Can it be later lead me to Permant Resident Status or Citizenship?
Do you know anyone who has the same situation as I do?

I really want to live in the States..I am looking for more opportunities which help me gurantee life in US....
Any ideas or thoughts?? Thanks!!!!

Feb 27, 06 8:37 am
quizzical

Let me start by saying that I'm no expert on immigrations issues, although I do deal with them from time to time in my work. Several thoughts:

1. Rightly or wrongly, after 9/11 the INS really tightened up on immigration matters and it is becoming very, very difficult for non-US passport holders to gain authorization to work in the US. There are many, many more applicants than there are visas authorized by the Congress.

2. US immigration law is very, very complex and you really need to employ the services of an experienced immigration lawyer to guide you through the maze if you want to pursue this course of action. I would not recommend making any decisions at all based on advice you garner from archinectors.

3. I do not believe obtaining an architectural license in the US would provide you with any particular advantage when it comes to obtaining permanent resident status ... there are other criteria that must be met.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has a very good website ... I recommend that you spend some time there to find answers to your specific questions.

Feb 27, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
vaishjais

u will have to check if u need a visa status change....for internship of three years...

it can lead u to permanent residence status if ...u or ur company files
a GC process...which takes normally five years to be aproved....after initiation

Feb 27, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

head up to canada and apply as an immigrant
europe and the states are virtually no-go except if you've been raped or suchlike

Feb 27, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

You need H-1 visa to do the internship in USA. You need your company sponsor you, which is actually just sign the papers. You can find a lawyer to do it for a couple of thousand $ or do it yourself if you know someone who has done it just follow same format. I done mine myself the second time and find the immigration lawyers make money too easily. (I can even do it for you for half price!-)You need fill different papers for Green Card or Permanent residence, which will take 5 or more years depends on the state you are in. So you may check which state is faster before decide the place to live. You may need a lawyer for that or you can buy some packages on line to do all the paper work yourself. It's a headache, so go to Canada seems to be a easier option. Good luck!

Feb 27, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
jualn

i work as a paralegal in an immigration law firm, so i may have more experience with this than some other responders above. that being said, i just typed a long response that was killed when my browser couldn't find the server.

since i don't have time to retype it, i will say in summary that most of the advice above is incorrect or outdated. talk to your international student office about whether or not you can apply for OPT (optional practical training) - this should be available to you, and would allow you to work for up to a year, in your field, at any employer in the US.

after this, you should be able to get an H-1B visa. you could keep this visa for up to 6 years, and possibly more. during that time, you could thoroughly explore your options for permanent residence. it IS worth at least consulting with an immigration attorney, even if you do not hire him/her to file your paperwork. they can help explain the bigger picture and long term options to you, seeing well beyond your initial work visa. if you think you want to stay longterm, it is incredibly important to do things absolutely right from day 1.

send me a personal message, or email me, or however it works on this forum if you need more specific advice.

Feb 27, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: