Archinect
anchor

Arizona's new stadium

R.C. Barn

Check out Discovery Channel's Extreme Engineering this Sunday at 4:00 PM (not sure what time zone). They will re-air the construction of the new Arizona Caridnals Stadium which is set to be ready for the 2006 season. Interesting stadium...but am I correct in assuming that it's designed by Eisenmann? It's bad enough that the team sucks and it has the washed up Kurt Warner for their QB, but now they have to house them in a space that is full of crackpot theory but no practicality (assuming the worse here which usually isn't far off with Eisenmann).

Feb 24, 06 11:28 am

it was suppose to be more "crack pot," but as in any project there are compromises and value engineering. There use to be a separate hotel and convention center too.

Feb 24, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

looks like one of those take home paper and foil containers that they give you at a sit down resaurant.

Feb 24, 06 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

J-
the idea of the of the movable field was stolen from the Saporo arena in Japan (a soocer stadium)- nothing new there.

as per the design of the Stadium I like the original gesture much more than it final statement

Feb 24, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Southie....anything is better than sitting in the ASU Stadium on a Sunday afternoon in Late August on the East Side of the Stadium with
the sun beating down on you at two o-clock in the afternoon with no Beer to Drink!...So Go Cardinals. The pic looks abit like and exotic waffle maker.

Feb 24, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

I haven't seen the stadium completed, but I did see it in person under construction. For an American Stadium, its pretty interesting. I'm curious if there will be too much reflection off the panels. Either way, I think it is a step forward for stadium design. We could have had HOK rehash the same idea.

Sun Devil Stadium does not work as a pro stadium. As far as the team is concerned, I wish new owners took over because they have held back the team for a long time.

Feb 24, 06 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'm not a huge fan of the stadium. i don't have anything against the design, but i don't approve of the glendale location. the previously considered site by the rio salado in tempe would've been better. even los arcos mall has been sitting dead in scottsdale for years, and since the coyote's stadium proposal fell through on that site no one has considered such a thing again to the best of my knowledge. this is just going to be another sprawl generator in phx. people are literally going to be driving an hour from east mesa to see these games. phx metro is becoming another houston. the result of this is going to be yet another downtown even farther from phx then tempe/scottsdale. if phx metro is really serious about implementing their light rail system in the next few years, than they should be putting these sorts of things along the route. otherwise they're designing the system to fail, which will be one more opportunity for conservative developers in the valley to wave point their fingers at designers who seek to create an intelligently designed metropolis.

Feb 26, 06 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

The location is horrible. There was a huge mistake when choosing the location of it.

Le Bossman is right, this will only further the sprawl in that direction which is a problem because Phoenix really needs to start infilling on existing sites and worry less about expanding. The single-family housing developers have really controlled the future of the city and someone needs to stop it.

Feb 26, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
timpdx

People in Phoenix worried about sprawl? I never thought I would see the day...

Feb 26, 06 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
R.C. Barn

Indeed...isn't Phoenix like the 5th largest city now...but they have almost no urban/downtown area? Yeah...sprawl, WATCH OUT.

Feb 26, 06 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
grid

I agree, the location sucks. I saw it under construction over the summer. It looked interesting. Probably better under construction than when it's finished..

Mar 1, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

the sprawl is quite bad here. there's so much flat land here and lots of construction going on here

but it's not like houston. the codes are more strict and there seems to be a unique arch culture here in phoenix.

sprawling is terrible for a place like phoenix. ppl are going to overheat during the summer.

Mar 1, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

Can someone familiar with phoenix tell me where it is precisely? I used to live on the Phx/Glendale border, and 35th and Union, so I'm trying to put the thing into context in my mental image of the city...

Mar 2, 06 1:02 am  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

It's west of 91st ave and Glendale Ave. It is right next to the 101 which provides ease of access, but that is about it.

Mar 2, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Geeze Sounds Like it is half way to Yuma!

Mar 4, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: