Archinect
anchor

seeking direction ....

this_guy

I am a second year arch student who hasn't left New England my entire life. I go to school in Boston and live an hour away. I feel like I am not seeing enough of the world (or the country) to make a decision about what I want to do and where I want to go with life. I really enjoy architecture and I know it is what I want to as a career, but I feel I need to experience life out of my comfort zone to really grow. I want to transfer to a school in a different state or setting or environment so I can see new things and soak in a new atmosphere. Where are some places you guys would recommend to transfer, or should I transfer at all.... Thanks...

Feb 23, 06 11:16 pm
myriam

There is no better time of your life to try living in a wholly different place than during college. At no time is it any easier or more immediately and obviously rewarding.

Feb 23, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
frisbee pirata

I had seldom been outside of New England until a year ago when I transferred to Los Angeles. It's been an absolute blast... New England is not where it's at. Not at all.

Feb 23, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 

Or you could do summer programs at various places. Study abroad, go on a road trip, play it by ear.

Feb 24, 06 1:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

myriam is right on. College is such an easy time to pack up everything you own and try someplace new. If you hate it there, you'll know you only have to stay for a limited time: until you get the degree!

Though I hate the thought of yet more people moving to the western states, that's really probably the place to go. Maybe look for a school that has a European study abroad program in the spring semester, so you can do the program then spend the following summer travelling the rest of Europe.

I understand your desire to see more of the world - I felt the same way when I had basically only lived in Arizona my entire 20 years of life. Two very short years later, after school in Michigan, a study abroad semester in Austria, and a summer spent going to eastern Europe and Russia, my worldview had changed immensely. In just two years!

Good luck, go west young person!

Feb 24, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

I find that for a lot of folks, the best place to be is somewhere else.

Feb 24, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
myriam

New England is also particularly insulated. I'd actually say go south... the west is very accessible for later in life; easy to get a job, etc etc--the south would be a huge, fascinating culture shift from NE and more of a unique experience.

I grew up in southern california and applied only to schools on the other side of the country--solely, entirely based on geographic distance. I knew not one single thing about arch. schools. I lucked out on my college, found the experience rich and rewarding, took a leave of absence and headed to europe for awhile... these factors probably made up a good third of the worth of my college degree. The other thirds were the group of kids in my particular year at school and the program and teachers themselves.

Feb 24, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And U of Arizona, too.

Feb 24, 06 11:05 am  · 
 · 
walter_

UVa is an amazing place - professors are great, school is heading in the right direction. Also probably the most beautiful campus in the country. Charlottesville is an incredible town with tons to offer. Coming from the north I was glad to go somewhere new but always had something familiar.

Feb 24, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

i second the advice you are being provided above ... i spent my entire childhood in the south and went to college there ... i had the chance to attend graduate school in new england and found that experience to be wonderfully expanding, from a world view standpoint

to me, college and graduate school are about finding "the real you" ... until you have something meaningful to compare your past experiences against, you won't really be able to accomplish that goal.

good luck

Feb 24, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
southpole

Boston is not a bad place to live and go to school in architecture, I don’t know which program you are involved in but stick it out- after graduation you can job-hop around the country, Europe or attend grad school in the south or west coast for a change of pace, traveling the world is something every architect should be actively involved in, it’s a life time of learning.
Get your formal education out of the way then spread your wings or tails which ever suite you.

Feb 24, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

GO TO A STUDY ABROAD!!

I cannot stress that enogth. You can't make good architecuture, till you expirience good architecture.

Feb 24, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i been to paris
and i been to rome
and what'd i do
miss my home...
oh new england

Feb 24, 06 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I started here in school....traveled everywhere and yup I came back here in 89 and haven't left. Told myself couldn't live on the East Coast...but I found this nice little corner of New England. I even get to have fun doing Architecture once and awhile.

I was in six different schools in different communities before I graduated from High School and five different colleges. I have traveled to Europe, Canada and South America. One thing I have learned is life is an education, so make the most of life.

Feb 24, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

i am with cuervomuerto... see if your school has a study abroad program... it was the best thing i ever did for myself. i know many schools do... my undergrad had a one year program with the ecole d'architecture la villette. i learned more living there and traveling around than i did the previous three years studying in school (not that the fundamentals arnt important by any means.... but u know what i mean)

Feb 25, 06 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: