Archinect
anchor

Window Schedules

I've got a construction documents question:

At my firm, we always list every door individually on a schedule. Windows, on the other hand, we group into types: A, B, C... I think this is pretty typical.
I was project manager on a job recently and it occured to me it might be a good idea to list windows individually just like doors. The reason is that while there aren't the hardware and swing direction issues that make grouping doors difficult, there is the possibility that windows of the same type may have different interior and exterior trim details. This was the case on my project and I found it difficult to communicate to the contractor which windows were to receive which trim because we had no notation for specific examples of a window. It would have been nice to list every single window individually in a schedule and then have a column for both interior and exterior trim.
Hope that makes sense. Does anyone list every window individually in a schedule? Or do you somehow indicate trim detail groups on the floor plan?

A couple of other related questions:
-Do you give rough openings or frame sizes on a schedule?

-Do you put the door size on the plan drawing as well as the schedule? Contractors seem to like it there so they don't have to cross reference but then (unless you have a fancy cad program) you have the problem of potential conflict in redudent information. In other words you may update your schedule but forget to update the door size on the floor plan.

Thanks.

Feb 20, 06 2:21 pm
norm

on my jobs each window (or each type) gets elevated at a 1/4", with detail keys through the head jamb and sill. some windows will have multiple detail keys, due to different detailing. exterior windows are tagged on the exterior elevations...interior windows are tracked by room#, but never scheduled. (schedules are one of those things that if they told you about them in school no one would ever become an architect.)

Feb 20, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Our window schedules individually list the type of window (fixed, casement, awning, etc), rough opening size, and a column that points to the head, sill, and jamb details located in the drawing set. We also have a ton of other info in our window schedules such as U-value, frame mat'l., glass type, etc.

We don't indicate the door size on the plans; we put it on the door schedules.

Feb 20, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

so it sounds like norm and dml group windows by type the way I do while j lists every single window individually on the schedule?

j-what's your nomenclature for windows?

we do door numbers in an oval on our floorplans: 1st floor- 101, 102.., 2nd floor- 201, 202...
for windows, we put a letter in a hexagon (i.e. all marvin wdh4036's get an A, all wdh3632's get a B...)

Do you use numbers for windows as well as doors? If letters were used which I believe is standard for windows, I was thinking that individual examples of an A windows could be distinguished by using A.1, A.2. This would allow the contractor to pull sizes off the schedule easily and then when he gets to the trim phase, he could figure out the individual windows based on their decimal number. Except we currently use A2 to represent (2) A windows mulled together and A2.1 could be confusing. Maybe A.1 for the first single A window and AA.1 for the first double A window. But then a quadruple ganged window symbol could get a little unwieldy (CCCC.1) So maybe a ganged window should get a completely different symbol which should be accompanied by a drawing on the schedule which shows the relationship between the individual units...

Most of you may think I'm a raving lunatic at this point, but after trying to manage a fairly complex job, I realized that it would be a huge help to be able to call out any window individually the way I can with doors. I'd appreciate any more ideas and strategies.

Feb 20, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I GIVE BOTH THE RO AND THE WINDOW SIZE ON THE SCHEDULE. DO THIS ON THE PLANS AND ELEVATIONS AS WELL. YOU WANT YOUR FRAMER TO FRAME YOUR OPENING CORRECTLY, AND HER OR SHE IS REALLY ONLY INTERESTED IN THE RO. I USUALLY USE 1/4" ON EITHER SIDE AND TOP AND BOTTOM OF SHIM SPACE AS A RULE.

Feb 20, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Make sure that whatever listing/schedule you use, it allows easy calculation / cross-reference of totals (e.g. "yes, 16 on each resi floor, including 2/mezzanine") and does not allow misreading e.g. having one thing coded in captial ABC, and another characteristic in lowercase abc is a recipe for disaster with the contractor. Make the lowercase start at mno...

Be sure to put the key for the codings on each drawing (British Architects can be really, really slack about that).

Supply your schedule in Excel.

Feb 20, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

I have to agree with Norm, scheduled are the old way, and much careful coordination is needed with them. It’s a good idea to elevate each windows and door indicating type of windows or doors, dimensions, glass types and trim detail, these elevations need to be referenced back to the floor plans and elevations via symbols.
We do it much more like Daviddaneff has explained with the addition of a single tag that includes a door number, frame type, door type and HW group. This symbol is located on each door on the plan, very easy to reference back to the ¼” elevations while you have all the information in front of you on the plan.
We used to have all kind of problem with schedules.
Specs division 8 takes care of the rest.

Feb 20, 06 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: