Archinect
anchor

The USA is far more better than Europe.

normiex

All things considered, the US is a joke. 

Land of the free and home of the brave my a**.  

Of course no country is perfect and we are all boased towards our homes. 

Personally i like cadilacs and burgers, but only in the movies. Don't care much for not affording healthcare despite working, GMO food with pesticide sauce, mass shootings, 5 litre engines that barely move the 3 ton car, lack of public transit, neonazis, trump voters(ok same thing), the debt culture etc. 

It all looks good in the movies, but actually being there? No thanks, i'd rather use my bicycle to go home to my small debt free house and cook my own gmo free food. And i'd rather have my kids not die in a school shooting or from a drug overdose. Cheap jeans and stuff aren't worth the trouble, i can always order them on ebay. 

America? No thanks. 

Mar 8, 19 7:08 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

You made an account especially for this?

Mar 8, 19 7:34 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Do ya like corn?

Mar 8, 19 7:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It’s ok, you can say ass here. So where does your holiness live then?

Mar 8, 19 8:01 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

America can beat your country up. You lose.

Mar 9, 19 12:49 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Florida is really nuts though. We should totally
dump Florida.

Mar 9, 19 12:54 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Europe is not a country, you must be from Florida ;) You'd have to find the country first, in order to "beat it up", back2school!

Mar 10, 19 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
michaelmantion

Hopefully if Trump Gets re-elected we can get out of the UN and NATO. Get read to speak Russian. Face it you are America's bitch, we fight your war for over 100 years, we constantly send you aid, you bitch and cry and act like you are better. All while living in the house of freedom we built. You offer the world nothing except a cautionary tale of what not to do.

Oct 23, 19 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Wanker.

Oct 23, 19 5:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Drawn in

No problem Normi, carry on in your utopian society wherever that is. And you're welcome for the US saving your country wherever that may be, and providing a blanket of military security from Russia, and soon China.

Aug 16, 20 9:50 am  · 
 · 
orangeyouhappy

it's all relative.... there are no absolutes, otherwise Utopia would exist (which then would void its existence...mind fuck).

Anyway... degustibus non disputandum est.

Mar 8, 19 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
terryshaw

"far more better" ... more better? Nice.

May 9, 19 8:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The OP is from USA... so... that checks out.

May 9, 19 8:43 am  · 
 · 
michaelmantion

Thanks a lot of valid points in the article.  I think the thing that is missing is Europeans have a confidence issue that makes it impossible to accept that Europe sucks.  There is a reason why few Americans choose to become european citizens and millions of Europeans are currently trying to become Americans.  

The problem with this article is anyone who is open minded has never given any serious thought to living in Europe.  Sure we may want to visit or even work there for a couple of years, but we don't want to live there.  

So the people who are going to read your article are european snowflakes that can't admit you are right about everything.  

Oct 23, 19 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Europe > USA by a cubic light-year

Oct 23, 19 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

You are an idiot! So Europeans have a confidence issue to admit Europe sucks, yet they choose to move to the US? You probably never left your county let alone the continental US.

Oct 24, 19 9:37 am  · 
 · 

first time poster talking about snowflakes ... LOL

Oct 24, 19 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

This Michael is just some guy who works in a warehouse and spends his free time on the internet. Ignore him.

Oct 24, 19 11:27 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I bet ya he has a fine collection of red ballcaps.

Oct 24, 19 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I kind of like those red caps. It's like someone wearing a sign that lets me know they are stupid and I shouldn't waste my time with them.

Oct 24, 19 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is it the new "Qray" bracelet? That used to be my default warning sign.

Oct 24, 19 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Can this thread be locked? It's turned into xenophobe bait & we don't need any more of that.

Oct 24, 19 11:52 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Agreed.

Oct 24, 19 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
computerpro

Where are you getting this tripe:

"While the typical American suburban house is about 4000 square feet, the average in Europe is 1300, yet you pay as much if not more."

The average American home is closer to 1300 square feet. In an Expensive area that is large. Are you talking about a 1 million dollar mansion? Or living in Detroit?

Feb 12, 20 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Feb 12, 20 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
computerpro

That data is fairly meaningless even if it is real. Post the exact URL address source of data. I'm not buying that the average American home is 2,500 square feet. And does that include apartments, condos an town homes? Those are a huge part of the USA housing stock.

In large urban areas with high incomes large houses are far more expensive. A large home starts at $1 million USD. Maybe its half of that in a poor rural area. Or in a poor metro like Detroit Michigan. So yes in the country and places where wages are low there are larger houses. 

Feb 13, 20 5:29 pm  · 

Image caption shows source: census bureau.

Feb 13, 20 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
bramroosen

don’t know where you got this from, but like 99% of what you said is not true

May 2, 20 7:45 pm  · 
giorgiamah

I am Italian and reading this text made me smile many times, because you understood very very little about Europe and its context. In Europe food might be more expensive because we eat REAL FOOD, not just fast food and junk food, colourful but fake food, water with many different colours and flavours but..NORMAL AND NATURAL WATER! We buy fresh food more often because fresh food is good and healthy, why do you have to store food for a month? In many Us stores there are more chocolate bars or canned food ( also Pasta with cheese that fortunately you will NEVER find in Italy because nobody would buy it) on sale than fruits and vegetables! And this is super strange for us, because food is the most natural thing on earth! You have big cars...okay...here distances are reduced, we just dont need a huge car but a the right size one. Houses? Yours might be bigger but at least in European houses people from the same family still meet eachother and talk to eachother, eat together and look at each other's eyes, in the Usa many people from the same family barely know each other! Ask yourself what you really need in your life, what is important at the end of the day...if  money is the answer you should go back to the Usa where money is more important than lives and people. In Europe and in Italy Hospital care, education are free, we have a lot of history...so..try to be more objective. I travelled to the Usa many times, there were many things I appreciated but at the same time many I didnt like at all I felt a general sense of superficiality  where appearances are more important that the essence of things. I would never live there, but I would go there again to understand more about it and its culture. the whole world is special some how!

Aug 12, 20 5:55 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

France is nicer.

Aug 12, 20 6:15 am  · 
3  · 
randomised

you made an account for this?

Aug 12, 20 8:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I sure did.  

I knew all this work would pay off one day

Aug 12, 20 8:15 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

Meant giorgia, but good for you ;-)

Aug 12, 20 11:22 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

The US saved Europe from the Nazis, so there’s that. Italy is beautiful, but most of Europe is not nearly as culturally diverse as the US. We are a melting pot, so culture is mostly expressed in private around the family functions...while the public realm is for superficial things...

Aug 13, 20 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

So, just coming to visit you won’t necessarily see the depth as apparently as you do in Europe. I totally understand what you are saying though.

Aug 13, 20 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

To be fair, Russia did the the leg work. Without them, even with the US, we may have lost. That’s not to say the US wasn’t a help, they were. It’s just that the enemy had decimated Europe and hope had wained, where without the US, there would have probably been a bad ‘truce’ and a facist superstate.

Aug 15, 20 2:46 am  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Russia may have controlled Western Europe as they did Eastern after the war. You never know. It’s a strange thing to imagine alternative scenarios.

Aug 15, 20 2:49 am  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Every time I press enter haha... I think the US’ was a bigger help in preventing Russian expansion, more so than the nazi defeat. They had the capacity to fend the US had Russia not been there.

Aug 15, 20 2:52 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Have you watch “The Man in the High Castle”?

Aug 16, 20 6:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

British houses don't blow over in the wind! 

You do however have such beautiful uninhabited scenery; go exploring and never see anyone.

Also, FREE public toilets!!!

Aug 12, 20 12:02 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

And they speak English, sort of...

Aug 12, 20 3:38 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Are you sure you don't mean Oregon? This sounds like my life in Oregon.

Aug 12, 20 4:08 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Where in Oregon? It's on my "possibles" list.

Aug 12, 20 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Anywhere but Klamath Falls (sorry Klamath Falls).

Aug 12, 20 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Is that where the sovereign citizens gather?

Aug 12, 20 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm constantly reading about Astoria, Oregon. That place must be stellar.

Aug 12, 20 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Beautiful city but the locals can be a bit over the top.

Aug 12, 20 4:25 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

Currently, just the one eccentric here.

Aug 12, 20 6:01 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I think the idea that we're far "more better"just proves why we're not.

Aug 12, 20 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

[inserts clip from The Newsroom - America is not the greatest country in the world]

Aug 13, 20 7:09 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

But they do live real close to the best one tho... like literally below it. Just don’t come over until you get your shit together.

Aug 13, 20 7:28 am  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Does that include spelling? Can Canada also spell 'Tyre' correctly? :) :) :)

Aug 13, 20 7:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nope.

Aucune chance mon ami.

Aug 13, 20 8:18 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

NZ is the best country in the world.

Aug 13, 20 10:45 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

...when you’re white

Aug 13, 20 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

rando, are you dutch?

Aug 13, 20 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

yep!

Aug 13, 20 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

so, before riding your high horse all over this forum, please read a bit about your ancestry. I bet you know most of this history.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/africa/dutch-colonization-wreaked-havoc-from-asia-to-africa/1075570

Aug 13, 20 3:45 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

btw, I don't disagree with your comment.

Aug 13, 20 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Just rewatched Whale Rider last weekend, made me feel very nostalgic and sentimental.

Aug 13, 20 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
TED

American here and now a Brit living in UK - undeniably Europe is far better that USA. 

We believe in science. 

We don't eat chlorinated chicken 

We have the NHS. 

......What the orange blob has done to US will take decades to repair. Getting out of the Paris Accord should bring brought millions to the street.  Caging humans and children should have bring millions to the street.  Gun deaths and mass shouting should have bring millions to the street. Inequality particularly education in the black community should bring millions to the street.

Trump worries about toilet flushing with 1 person dying every 8 seconds. 

What a silly question to ask!

Aug 13, 20 10:17 am  · 
4  · 
tduds

I eat sodium chlorinated chicken. It's gross otherwise.

Aug 13, 20 12:43 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Isn’t that annoying to always having to add chicken to your sodium chloride?

Aug 13, 20 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

toilet flushes? totally wrong - he was worried about showerhead flow rates!

Aug 13, 20 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Chlorine on chicken is better than ketchup on chicken...

Aug 13, 20 7:31 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Ketchup on chicken is a terrible idea.

Aug 13, 20 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

And in Europe we put neither ketchup nor chlorine on our chicken.

Aug 14, 20 5:08 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

mayonnaise?

Aug 14, 20 6:52 am  · 
 · 
randomised

We fuckin’ drown ‘em in that shit...

Aug 14, 20 8:29 am  · 
1  ·  1
Non Sequitur

Mayonnaise is just wrong...

Aug 14, 20 9:23 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

If Mayo is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Aug 14, 20 9:44 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^erata, White mayo is wrong, unless it’s mixed wither either curry or hot spices, then it’s fucking delicious.

Aug 14, 20 9:51 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I'll go along with that. However I will forcefully argue it is the correct dipping sauce for french fries/ frites/ chips/ whatever you call them locally. The Belgians can't lay claim to much, but at least they'll always have mayonnaise on fries, Eddy Merckx, and waffles.

Aug 14, 20 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

and flavored beer!

Aug 14, 20 11:08 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

fries are best enjoyed with cheese curds and drowned in thick brown gravy. Fight me.

Aug 14, 20 11:46 pm  · 
2  · 
x-jla

Fries and hummus. Fight me

Aug 15, 20 1:07 am  · 
1  ·  1
Non Sequitur

Sorry x, not gonna beat a classic poutine with some chick-pea and garlic mush.

Aug 16, 20 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

NS - I always thought Poutine was like a complete dish, not a dipping sauce for fries? You wouldn't order a bunch of fries and ask for a side of gravy and cheese, right? You just order Poutine.... In my book that makes it not "fries" but a separate and distinct culinary entity.

Aug 17, 20 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Drawn in

I mean... if they'd only speak English over there like us civilized folk here in America.....

Aug 14, 20 8:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

My educated guess is that the Dutch speak better English than some Americans...
https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/business/news-and-insights/news/2019/netherlands-first-place-in-ef-english-proficiency

And I just found this:

Aug 14, 20 9:02 am  · 
6  · 
proto

Surprised this gem hasn’t made here yet

https://youtu.be/xNzXze5Yza8

#american

#asshole

#douchebag

Aug 14, 20 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Drawn in

That's some funny sh*t.....

Aug 15, 20 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This one is better.

#fuckgm

#fuckwhiteguys

#fuxkcadillac

https://youtu.be/24VerifhVJk

Aug 16, 20 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Drawn in

Listened to a recent NPR story that illustrated Protos post well.  Talked about how young people from Europe were flocking to the US because the European Union business environment, and layers of regulations  made starting new business or growing them very difficult.  Young people everywhere want the good life, and apparently here they feel it's their best chance to achieve that kind of success, through our slightly workaholic  business model.

Aug 16, 20 9:47 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

They go because they think you need to be in Silicon Valley to start-up something related to the internet, until they realise they might need medical help, a holiday, maternity or paternity leave, social security, etc. and they come back home

Aug 16, 20 5:59 pm  · 
2  · 
Drawn in

Yep they went in to all of that. They come here because starting a business in the US is far far easier than in a centrally controlled, heavily bureaucratic EU. That's NPR' s report, and finding. They love the EU, by the way.

Aug 16, 20 6:24 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Still not worth it to have to deal with the other nonsense (healthcare, guns, religion, politics, trump, etc)

Aug 16, 20 6:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Drawn in

It's all personal preference. President come, and go here. I wouldn't be basing my moves on a temporary position politician.

Aug 16, 20 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That’s just one part of the problem. There is plenty more thats wrong that’s engrained deep.

Aug 16, 20 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Drawn in

Well, there are no perfect places. Every country has its issues. It's all what you make of the place you're in or going to, and right now the US has been a favorite of the millennial age population in the EU. Creating wealth is deemed easier buy many in the US than many other countries.

Aug 16, 20 8:14 pm  · 
1  ·  2
Non Sequitur

Even if that were actually true, still not worth it given all the other drawbacks. Creating "wealth" is an odd benchmark to use and ignores a metric shit-ton of missing adequate/reasonable/intelligent benefits.   

Aug 16, 20 8:37 pm  · 
1  · 
Drawn in

Creating wealth is the number one thing people in business are trying to do. Nothing odd about that in my opinion.

Aug 16, 20 8:42 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

"Young people everywhere want the good life"

Good life implies more than business.  You can have all the wealth generation culture you want, I'll take mine instead.  At least I don't have to allocate money each month to ammunition, hospital bills, or silly gated community HOAs.  

Aug 16, 20 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Idk non, its far easier to live in most parts of the US than most parts of Europe or Canada.

Aug 17, 20 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Most parts? I’m willing to meet you halfway on the EU point but not a chance on Canada.

Aug 17, 20 5:58 am  · 
 · 
Drawn in

Non s. you don't really have as strong grasp of the US. Most people don't live in gated communities, you don't need to buy ammo, and the health care while expense is still good, and you don't have to wait months and months for surgeries (pre covid of course). I like the back and forth, but reality needs to be part of the discussion. Both the US and EU have pros, and cons.

Aug 17, 20 7:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I do have a good grasp of the US tho and I want absolutely none of it.

Aug 17, 20 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Drawn in

No not really. Unless you've spent actual time here the things you're commenting on are headline grabbing issues, not actual daily life in America for the vast vast majority of citizens.

Aug 17, 20 8:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So you're saying the vast majority of citizens don't need to shell out a fortune for basic health care? That's good to know.

Aug 17, 20 8:39 am  · 
 · 
Drawn in

We can go on. about this all day. Yes, we pay more for medical insurance. Yes we have the most innovative medical colleges in the world, yes people from all over the world come here for the most delicate, and difficult surgical procedures. Yes to many issues, and its still a great country, just as the countries in the EU. If you're determined to make this a US sucks thread, I'm out. The topic was young people leaving the EU in large numbers because the EU is a difficult place to start new businesses. You've morphed it into something different. All those folks have weighed the costs, and issues with coming here, and decided it was the right decision for them. The US is right at the top of GDP in the world. We are nation that values hard work, and the rewards of that hard work. The other issues take care of themselves when you succeed in a place that fosters success.

Aug 17, 20 10:30 am  · 
Non Sequitur

Yeah, keep up those delusions buddy. It's not as great a place as you've convinced yourself it is. M'erica: "we're better because we told you so, fight-us!" is your dumb motto. Shelve it, along with your non-existant and backwards social policies, insulting 2A obsession, and inflated egos. Very happy that border is closed ATM.

Aug 17, 20 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Drawn in

Wow. Where do you call home ?

Aug 17, 20 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

North of your precious border. 8-) See the above discussion on the correct accoutrements with french(freedom) fries.

Aug 17, 20 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Drawn in

Canada, nice place. Have always enjoyed my visits except in Quebec. The rudest, most arrogant people I've ever encountered anywhere in the world, and we've traveled 3 continents, 2 hemispheres, and all social classes within those geographic locations.

Aug 17, 20 11:37 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Agree, quebec is the worst.

Aug 17, 20 11:41 am  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Damn frenchies.

Aug 17, 20 12:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^Correction, damn Québécois! 

As a francophone, I take great offense to be associated with them.

Aug 17, 20 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Drawn in

They make the French seem tolerable.

Aug 17, 20 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
proto

The other issues take care of themselves when you succeed in a place that fosters success.

Maybe for the wealthy, but the rest of American society begs to disagree.

There is no social trickle down.

Aug 17, 20 3:48 pm  · 
2  · 
michaelamato

okay for the love of god! 

Europe is better than the USA in some ways, and worse than the US in other ways. 

All I see here are obviously biased people arguing about whose country is better like a bunch of god damn School Children! Grow Up! 

Jul 16, 21 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why did you drag this dead horse for another beating?

Jul 16, 21 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Repeating my request to shut this thread down. 

Jul 16, 21 4:08 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: