Archinect
anchor

The USA is far more better than Europe.

normiex

All things considered, the US is a joke. 

Land of the free and home of the brave my a**.  

Of course no country is perfect and we are all boased towards our homes. 

Personally i like cadilacs and burgers, but only in the movies. Don't care much for not affording healthcare despite working, GMO food with pesticide sauce, mass shootings, 5 litre engines that barely move the 3 ton car, lack of public transit, neonazis, trump voters(ok same thing), the debt culture etc. 

It all looks good in the movies, but actually being there? No thanks, i'd rather use my bicycle to go home to my small debt free house and cook my own gmo free food. And i'd rather have my kids not die in a school shooting or from a drug overdose. Cheap jeans and stuff aren't worth the trouble, i can always order them on ebay. 

America? No thanks. 

Mar 8, 19 7:08 am
randomised

You made an account especially for this?

b3tadine[sutures]

Do ya like corn?

Non Sequitur

It’s ok, you can say ass here. So where does your holiness live then?

jla-x

America can beat your country up. You lose.

jla-x

Florida is really nuts though. We should totally
dump Florida.

randomised

Europe is not a country, you must be from Florida ;) You'd have to find the country first, in order to "beat it up", back2school!

michaelmantion

Hopefully if Trump Gets re-elected we can get out of the UN and NATO. Get read to speak Russian. Face it you are America's bitch, we fight your war for over 100 years, we constantly send you aid, you bitch and cry and act like you are better. All while living in the house of freedom we built. You offer the world nothing except a cautionary tale of what not to do.

Non Sequitur

^Wanker.

orangeyouhappy

it's all relative.... there are no absolutes, otherwise Utopia would exist (which then would void its existence...mind fuck).

Anyway... degustibus non disputandum est.

Mar 8, 19 4:27 pm
terryshaw

"far more better" ... more better? Nice.

May 9, 19 8:36 am
Non Sequitur

The OP is from USA... so... that checks out.

michaelmantion

Thanks a lot of valid points in the article.  I think the thing that is missing is Europeans have a confidence issue that makes it impossible to accept that Europe sucks.  There is a reason why few Americans choose to become european citizens and millions of Europeans are currently trying to become Americans.  

The problem with this article is anyone who is open minded has never given any serious thought to living in Europe.  Sure we may want to visit or even work there for a couple of years, but we don't want to live there.  

So the people who are going to read your article are european snowflakes that can't admit you are right about everything.  

Oct 23, 19 4:33 pm
Non Sequitur

Europe > USA by a cubic light-year

poop876

You are an idiot! So Europeans have a confidence issue to admit Europe sucks, yet they choose to move to the US? You probably never left your county let alone the continental US.

first time poster talking about snowflakes ... LOL

Chad Miller

This Michael is just some guy who works in a warehouse and spends his free time on the internet. Ignore him.

Non Sequitur

I bet ya he has a fine collection of red ballcaps.

Chad Miller

I kind of like those red caps. It's like someone wearing a sign that lets me know they are stupid and I shouldn't waste my time with them.

Non Sequitur

Is it the new "Qray" bracelet? That used to be my default warning sign.

tduds

Can this thread be locked? It's turned into xenophobe bait & we don't need any more of that.

Oct 24, 19 11:52 am
SneakyPete

Agreed.

computerpro

Where are you getting this tripe:

"While the typical American suburban house is about 4000 square feet, the average in Europe is 1300, yet you pay as much if not more."

The average American home is closer to 1300 square feet. In an Expensive area that is large. Are you talking about a 1 million dollar mansion? Or living in Detroit?

Feb 12, 20 7:42 pm

Feb 12, 20 7:57 pm
RickB-Astoria

Graph: 

I suspect this is living area space.

Feb 12, 20 8:27 pm
midlander

the more relevant statistic would be area of space per occupant. A 2400 SF home for a family of 5 is more reasonable than an 800 SF studio apartment.

computerpro

That data is fairly meaningless even if it is real. Post the exact URL address source of data. I'm not buying that the average American home is 2,500 square feet. And does that include apartments, condos an town homes? Those are a huge part of the USA housing stock.

In large urban areas with high incomes large houses are far more expensive. A large home starts at $1 million USD. Maybe its half of that in a poor rural area. Or in a poor metro like Detroit Michigan. So yes in the country and places where wages are low there are larger houses. 

Feb 13, 20 5:29 pm
RickB-Astoria

computerpro, there is a LOT fewer of those expensive mansions. Lets not forget the existing stock of homes going ALL the way back to the 19th century and some earlier. That's likely living area square footage. New constructed homes aren't all mansions in scale and you got a WHOLE country not just the big cities. Even then, you have average lot sizes with even smaller buildable area due to setbacks and then you have the most common houses being one to two stories. Historically, houses were more commonly 2-3 stories in cities with few being up to 4 or 5 stories but they are rare and usually they are 4-5 stories because they have a floor or two that was for commercial with basically a 3 story house on top of the commercial space such as a doctor's office (which is not common at all anymore). Since WW II, houses were mostly 1-2 stories because going up and down stairs for more than one floor height is not as popular. Lot sizes in suburban cities and other housing development that began after WW II had lot sizes being a little larger than the urban/township residential lot sizes of 50x100 or 50x150 ft..... instead being 70 x 125 to 75 x 150 or about lot sizes for housing development in the 1950s. This easily facilitated the ranch style houses with garages on a single floor level with 5 to 10 ft. on side setbacks and a 15-20 ft. front yard set back (but often 20-25 ft front yard) and typical 15-20 ft. rear yard and it wasn't unusual to have maybe have an additional 10-15 ft. patio area. Rear yard setbacks may usually been 5-ft. or whatever but usually a rear yard and maybe a shed or something is put near the rear lot line or something. This was the typical lot size and are still fairly common. Since the houses might even have a front yard patio area as well and such the houses might have a sort of jig jag shape but the total footprint might be only 4000 sq.ft. but that garage takes up some portion of space as well. In a variety of ways, the lot sizes and the preference towards 1 story and 2 story in smaller lot sizes in higher density neighborhood developments were the lot sizes are 50x100 to 50x150 or similar size lots. Residential zones often have setbacks for yards on front and often there is rear yards bigger than the front yard (for children to play) but the rear setback still tending to be smaller than the front yard setback. With that in mind, that majority of houses are built in the 2500 to 3000 sq.ft. living area. This is fairly normal for houses which are usually built with average family size of 4-5 being the norm. So it is actually reasonably. My Victorian era house has only about 1600 or so sq.ft. that is finished interior living space with about 3300 sq.ft. of floor area over three floor levels. The attic/loft can potentially be furnished to provide an additional 450 or so sq.ft. of interior with ceiling height of at least 7 ft. Add dormers and that would potentially increase that to more closer to 700 or so additional sq.ft. I'm already counting for single small room in upper most floor that is furnished. That would be ~2100 to 2300 sq.ft. of living area. Some Victorian homes of similar size and floor plan is fully finished like that and have around that size in living area for houses that typically had 4-5 and sometimes maybe multi-generational (beyond the parents & children to have three generations living in the home) of about 6-8 in such houses.This would be harder to do today in the same footprint given our needs for technology gadgets and lifestyle so we have more items that we horde so to speak than maybe in the past generations but then it might not be too hard because things that were once common staples of homes, some of them are no longer common to see. Average european house sizes are growing as well. This is due to our increasing use of computers and technology gadgets. What once was only one TV set now one in each bedroom and the living room. Now, TVs include inputs for computers does make possible to have ONE TV in the bedrooms and the living room that can be used for game console, computer, DVD, and all that instead of a separate monitor for the computer. There is another trend factor as well.... the HOME OFFICE. In which case, a house will have an additional bedroom than needed that is the home office. In any cases, house sizes are increasing in U.S. and Europe but not necessarily are they all 5000-10,000 sq.ft. Mcmansions. The average living area per person is said to be 500-700 sq.ft. but that isn't exactly true. About half of a home is the "public" spaces of the home like living room, kitchen, etc. where people socialize and gather and then there is the private spaces but there are shared-use private spaces like bathrooms. So the average bedroom size is about 125-250 sq.ft. Bedrooms for each child and "master bedroom" being shared by the parents.... you can see there being 3-4 bedrooms being common formula for a single-family house. Some will have an additional bedroom (traditionally a guest bedroom but that is often now being used as home offices) so that's 4-5 bedrooms being the common setup with such homes. Just so you know, some of us here are architects and building designers that works on houses. Since we are likely the ones designing them and even a lot of stock house plans were designed by an architect or building designer. Some contractors are designer & builder. New houses that are being built aren't all super monsters. If you are building them with 3-car garages, that portion of space gets somewhat large and maybe a little disproportionate. They are hard to build on lots other than corner lots or outside city limits on land that are sized in terms of acreage like 1/4 acre or 1/2 acre or 1 acre lots or such and are not exactly rectangular grids but some funky polygon shape. I live in an area where that is NOT unusual to see.

Image caption shows source: census bureau.

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: