Archinect
anchor

recognition of U.S. educated architects in Europe

pojo

There seems to be some development in this area according to the Architects' Council of Europe (ACE)(http://www.ace-cae.org) and AIA (http://www.aia.org/release_120605_USEUagree) I am considering getting my MArch here in the U.S. While my undergrad is not Arch., I wonder how well a U.S. MArch will be recognised in Europe for practicing Architecture there ? Anybody here with a U.S. MArch. working the trade in Europe ? What is it like to get licensure in European countries with a U.S. MArch ?

One concerning excerpt from the recent report between ACE and AIA recognising U.S. educated architects practicing in Europe is :

'Agreement for Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications between the Architect's Council of Europe (ACE), the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) and the American Institute of Architects (AIA).

4. Mutual Recognition

Mutual recognition means that EU architects and US architects who meet the following requirements shall be recognised in each other's jurisdictions.

4.1 Basis for eligibility.

Architects from both the EU and the United States shall demonstrate completion of a period of not less than fourteen years made up of formal education , registration/licensure and practice, at least seven years of which shall be in certified post-registration/licensure fully-qualified practice. This Mutual Recognition Agreement acknowledges the differences between jurisdictions while upholding the highest professional standards.
'

Basically, it states you need 14 years in architecture between U.S. education and experience before you can become certified in Europe. That seems like a really long time to me !

I am interested in hearing any U.S. educated architects, particularly those with a MArch. and non Arch. undergraduate degree, regarding their experience practicing architecture in Europe.

Feb 19, 06 5:52 am

my march was equiv to part II in UK. there is a part III, but not a big deal, all in all compared to the us system.

in each country is different, but in holland for example all you need to do is graduate from a professional program. not certain about the undergrad in a different field thing; don't know anyone offhand who has gone that route. but lots of friends with a 6 year degree who went to europe and got a licence lickity split. none of them did the 14 year thing. 3 years tops after grad, less in some countries.

Feb 19, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: