Archinect
anchor

Architecture as a second career/ age factor?

seltsamematerie

Hi all. I've been lurking around this message board for quite awhile and have found it most interesting.

I am going to UW Milwaukee this fall for architecture. My previous career had nothing to do with architecture, engineering, or design. I'm 37 years old now, so by the time I enter the workplace with a M.Arch. I'm in my mid-forties. Anyone here with a similar experience or know of someone who entered architecture late? Assuming I'm somewhat bright and industrious, how awkward/difficult will it be establishing a career being twenty years older than my peers? Thanks!

Feb 17, 06 10:16 am
quizzical

This is a repeat of a post i made in another thread ... but, it seems quite applicable here:

"an observation ... i handle the majority of recruitment for our firm ... in that role, i see a fair number of candidates who have returned to school to study architecture or interior design after 5-8 years in another field ... these people typically have done VERY well in school and they come out of school both with maturity and with clarity about what they want to do with their lives ...

as a growing design firm, we really like to interview such candidates because a) these people know how to hold a job and show up for work; b) they know why they come to work every day; c) they bring commitment and seriousness to the client and the project ... the only drawback is that they sometimes have economic expectations (due to their age) that are somewhat inconsistent with what they can deliver right away -- but, we usually can work through that challenge

i can't help you decide what the right decision might be for you ... what I can tell you is that firms like ours would welcome a chance to speak with you once you've earned your degree ... the combination of your life experience and your design training promises a lot of value."

Feb 17, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

The only thing I might add is this ... any awkwardness will depend almost totally on you and your attitude ... the fact that you're older suggests that you bring maturity to the profession ... but, as an entry level intern, you'll still be doing the same kind of entry level work as somebody 20 years your junior ... if you accept that, and the short-term economic implications associated with that, then you should not have difficulty easing into the profession ... however, if you look at such work as 'beneath you' then you're likely to have problems.

In the end, becoming established is ALL about what you know and what you can do. Focus on that -- instead of your age -- and you should do fine.

Feb 17, 06 10:34 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Oh ... a really good sense of humor helps a lot !

Feb 17, 06 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Throughout my undergrad career, I knew quite a few older people who ended up in studios with me. What I saw from these people, mostly, was that they felt intimidated by the younger generation when it came to computer skills. My school relied heavily on computer renderings.

Feb 17, 06 11:03 am  · 
 · 
GJ Virostek

Once you get into your studio work, believe me, you are not going to have the time to speculate if you will be the hapless victem of some random age based discrimination when you start sending your portfolio around AFTER graduation. Getting out clean will be too consuming.

I hope you enjoy the ride.

Gregg

Feb 17, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
lekizz

Some great answers. I also started my architecture degree at 37. Personally I have found it a struggle, but that is as much attributable to subjective factors, like attitude, state of mind, as much as social isolation, or responsibilities to family and home.

My college (a traditional university) had a positive goal to increase the number of mature students on its course. On one year intake the two over-30's did absolutely brilliantly. Thein another year intake the over-30's struggled badly.

As said above, you bring maturity, commitment and organisation with you, if you have worked before. You are not coming to college *just* to get away from your parents and drink beer ;-) You will have a more rounded world view, have possibly travelled more widely, met more people, have good interpersonal skills etc.

In the world of the architectural practice, I find young students are valued for their computer presentation skills, fresh outlook and the fact they will accept crap wages (on which the profession relies!). Some practices may not want you. They will certainly expect you to start at the bottom! But it can work in your favour when you graduate, because a few grey hairs and wrinkles will get a bit of respect amongst some professionals :-)

Feb 17, 06 12:08 pm  · 
seltsamematerie

Wow - talk about helpful. After the sorts of jobs I've had, I doubt humility or salary will be a problem. Thanks for your most thoughtful comments. Sounds like I'm in pretty good shape -- now all I have to worry about is the talent part.

Feb 18, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Norman Blogster

Architecture is my 2nd career. I previously worked in software, although my first degree was architecture. Going back to do the postgrad bit in my early 30s was refreshing and I really enjoyed the change and freedom and the intellectual challenge. Your life experience will help a lot. I won't be as old as you will when I finally qualify, but I will be considerably older than my colleagues.

Don't be intimidated by the young CAD guns. They are more intimidated by people who can genuinely draw/model in my experience. Dying art and all that. You can bring a lot more to it than pushing buttons. And if you don't get too bogged down in the CAD thing, you'll probably progress in the profession a bit quicker.
I haven't found getting work difficult at all, but the money is a serious problem. I always knew it would be, but only earning half what I used to 5 years previously hurts sometimes in more ways than one. I can't get as big a mortgage as I used to have, which means I can't live in as nice an area or as nice a house. The sports car has gone, the nice holidays are much shorter. And there are no fringe benefits.
Sometimes it's hard working with other consultants/contractors etc. When they see you're uglier and balder, they expect more and you can feel a right goose sometimes when you just don't know stuff. You used to be able to pull it off when you were younger, but if you've been competent in another career, you want to be as immediately as competent in architecture, and you can't be because it's a big old thing that takes years to master.
The difficulty in architecture is that you only really start learning once you finish the education and start working.
But maybe that's just me.

In summary, sometimes I regret coming back to my first love, sometimes I don't. You have to love it to do it, cos there's no other reason. The course is fantastic. The profession's not.

HTH a bit

Feb 18, 06 9:52 am  · 
snooker

Think I will become a Public Notary....must make more money than and Architect.

Feb 18, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
NRKTecture

I'm 34 and I will receive my undergrad next year... After that I will Attend the BAC for my M Arch. I'll be 38 before I can sit for the exam... and that's only because the BAC requires that you intern full time as part of your education and I'm being placed with advanced standing in the program. I've had great careers in the past and made good money... Now I'll be selling my house to survive during my last year of undergrad. Without blinking... I'd sell my wife, if I had one, so I could have this opportunity... If it makes you tick, do it!

Feb 19, 06 11:06 am  · 

i was 32 when i finished march and that was about normal all in all. but one of my mates was about 37 when he finished and then went back to homebuilding on his own after working for an office proved not so much fun and awful for the wallet.

he is in his mid-40's now and being very bright and talented is now in the states working as project architect for a pretty interesting starchitectural office (but not the bullshitty type). while he had a few years experience as an intern his construction knowledge and his maturity (he ran a succesful business, etc) were absolutely in his favor more than anything when he wanted to find an architectural position again.

so no, age isn't that big a factor. especially at school, as long as you are open minded. more challenging is after you graduate...

intern wages can be pretty harsh. most people where i live could make more working for mcdonalds (i am not joking), and the wages are not very good even later compared to other professions. you will have to decide if that is ok for you or not.

Feb 19, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: