Archinect
anchor

Redefining the Mountain Vernacular

neildesi

Can anyone think of any architects / projects that 'contemporize' a mountain vernacular for its particular area? - Aside from the work of Peter Zumthor

Feb 16, 06 4:59 pm
dia

I like this house by Gerold Wiederin in Austria. There is also a book called Mountain Houses which has some info, although not alot of detail, and not necessarily all 'mountain' locations. You might be able to follow up architects and projects by looking at the contents page.

Feb 16, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

You mean you don't want to cuddle up with cedar shingles and logs ????

Its something we face all the time. It helps if you really understand the environment in which your building. Snow / ice / water and the freeze, thaw cycle have a huge impact on building / material performance and generally drive a lot of what we do. As modern as we want to be sometimes it really comes down to making very practical choices. Its an aspect which we find challenging in the work but really tests your detailing skills. Lots of the "Mountain Houses" we see in books and stuff really don't function well or actually create huge longterm issues for the building owner, particularly snow dump coming off roofs ( it becomes an issue when it has the potential to kill people )

Frankly I have a flat roof on my house, tons of folks in town just think its plane wierd ( as expected ) but it works really well. The other guy intown with a flat roof is my long term Structural Eng who does snow management reports all over North America and has been doing it for 30 yrs. I trust that he knows what he's doing.

Feb 16, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Feb 16, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Vado is that Bull Winkle the only registered Architectural Moose in the State of Wyoming......? He used to hang on the wall in our office over the petrified wood fireplace.

Feb 17, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

one of my fav-

mountain architecture

Feb 17, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

well i think you could look at some of the works of H&dM, in particular the coupld of houses that they've either completed of designed have been vernacular studies

the one in the hills of italy is superb (stone)-imo
dominus winery? not sure if it meets your requirements but is primitive in concept/approach

also, the highly finished (fetishized) work of bohlin cywinski jackson
www.bcj.com

that's all I can think of off the top of my head

Feb 18, 06 8:08 am  · 
 · 
rayray

oh, there is a book called "country modern" - sounds terrible, but has some great projects in it also, including the one diabase speaks of - bare with me, first cup of coffee not done yet, check out david samela in minnesota and maybe some of the work by the guy who keeps winning the pa awards (not david james, but that keeps popping into my head - did the boathouse with the double curved roof)

Feb 18, 06 8:15 am  · 
 · 
rayray

man i can't stop - I was always intrigued by the corbu project that was built in south america (chile?) - essentially a cabin that was executed from a very short wet of drawings....not contemporary though....

there's the mountaintop house in NY state by the ex guy from meirer's office - it's essentially a glass box with a sub-terrain house - thomasphifer.com

corten house by (t-shape) by simon unger

conc. bunker with table roof pavillion - amazing
by the guy from madrid....will think of it later

cool house by r&sie - sort of mountain - camoflouged by netting
structure...worth looking at but may be suburban site?

Feb 18, 06 8:45 am  · 
 · 
rayray

campo baeza - madrid from above : )

Feb 18, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

madrid, new mexico that is....

Feb 18, 06 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

hey vado, you cut out the tavern......

I ived in a strawbale igloo for a while near Madrid, NM and worked on a couple earthships. ALso built a strawbale barn with a big pair of 10x10 sliding doors, but no drawings or permits

Feb 18, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: