Archinect
anchor

they hate the Western world, but love our doughnuts

mdler
liberty bell

I'll have some Freedom Fries with my Rose of the Prophet, please.

Feb 16, 06 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

exactly lb - is it really any wonder that the right wing in the US and Iran reach similar conclusions to protect their beloved junk food? perhaps we've found common ground?

Feb 16, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I think they should mould the Rose of the Prophet pastries into the shape of the Danish prime minister, light it on fire and accidentally kill a 4 year old in the process.

Feb 16, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

"I just want the sweet pastries. I have nothing to do with the name," homemaker Zohreh Masoumi told the sales clerk taking her order.

Ha ha. I, too, just want the sweet pastries. LOL

Feb 16, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

i beg to differ. majority of iranian people don't hate the western world, and, life in tehran will not be paralyzed because of danish pastries. and iranian culture has pastry recepies that would make an at least 1000 page book. please visit an iranian grocery store.

Feb 16, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

funny, silly, and ridiculous

Feb 16, 06 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

just a small example of an athoritarian governments denial for freedom of speech...lets invade and remove them from power, then hold an election to vote for a new name for the pastries.

Feb 16, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

hmm (homer-like drooling)...TASTY diversions.

Feb 16, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

[off topic: jump- did you choose your name from Van Halen's Jump? I think it's a great name and a great song: esp the keyboards]

Feb 16, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

im sure you are right, orhan, there are a bout 25-30 iranian bakeries in the city i come from, each is better than the other. The best pastries and cookies ive ever had.

and yes indeed, if all the danish bakeries close down in tehran, i dont know who'd give a rat's ass except the danes themselves.

Feb 16, 06 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

and mdler, i dont think the iranians hate your 'western world', but its more the other way around, dont you think? last i remember, it was the member of the 'western world' that allowed those cartoons to run and re-run....

Feb 16, 06 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Wow .. thats just plain stupid !!!

btw ,, what do they call a french beard in the US ? .. Freedom Beard??

Feb 16, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

I have to agree with sameolddoctor.. Iranian and in general the middle eastern sweets are to die for.. simply awesome. You should try out the lebonese sweets.. ( my love handles are nooding in agreement!!)

Feb 16, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

like they were calling french fries 'freedom fries' in the US , when they were really pissed off with the french

Feb 17, 06 1:50 am  · 
 · 
poiuy

And in World War One, they changed "Cole Slaw" to "Liberty Cabbage"

Feb 18, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I always thought Pastries were french...

Feb 18, 06 9:00 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

liberty cabbage??? ... hahaha now thats priceless !!!

what did they call sushi after pearl harbour?

freedom raw fish ? ... liberty fish ?? ... mmmm??

Feb 19, 06 1:14 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

but in all fairness ... pearl harbour was no joke

Feb 19, 06 1:14 am  · 
 · 

neither is koizumi praying to the souls of the folks who planned it...

farmer, no not from van halen. eddie is amazing and david lee was super kool but i wsa never so much into them; even when they were big i was more into pink floyd and little stevie vaughan.

Feb 19, 06 1:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: