Archinect
anchor

Gehry unveils 'comforting' Alzheimer's Institute design

southpole

This article goes hand in hand with the tread about non even cities- but the issues is not about another iconic building designed by Frank Gehry, rather his trying to sell the design as comforting and calming to those who suffer from this tragic illness. I would have though of many other architects whose work embrace the ideas of calming and comforting way before Gehry.
link - 'comforting' Alzheimer's Institute design

Feb 16, 06 4:18 pm
mdler

hey Bob, I have an idea to create economic growth downtown...

what???

an alzheimer's center

Feb 16, 06 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
e

who are you? i don't know you. don't tell me to feel calm.

Feb 16, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

"Let the armchair architects begin their critiques."
sounds like a payola writing to me.
also, read.

Feb 16, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

worst model...ever

Feb 16, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wobbly forms are just what Alzheimers patients need.

Feb 16, 06 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

So frank if it’s all about the folds of a mother’s arms where are the pasties?

$60,000,000 55,000 S.F. building do the math = $1,090.00 per S.F.—
A conservative fee of 8% = 4.8 millions
That will cover the cost of:
Having a bunch of underpay inters put together a crappy model.
Frank’s inspirational trip to Venice to go check out the Madonna and Child-

Feb 16, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Model looks like fabric from a lawnchair...and what the heck does it say?

Feb 16, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
switters

pathetic

Feb 16, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i think they should use aluminium for the skin...seeing how aluminum can possibly contribute to the development of alzheimers

get you didnt think of that one, Frank

Feb 16, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

sorry..BET you didnt think of that one, Frank

Feb 16, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *gasp*
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

What in the f*ck are they all looking at??

Feb 17, 06 2:59 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

That has to be one STUPID building !! i guess ol' gehry's getting alzhimers himself. The design looks like a 1 year old's poo creation.

comforting ?? hardly .
however, i'll refrain from more comments till a better model comes along. if it ever does; ie

Feb 17, 06 3:16 am  · 
 · 
upside

alzhimers as a metaphore? a tangled mess full of holes? isnt that like using a gallows as a metaphore in a prison design?

Feb 17, 06 3:43 am  · 
 · 
grid

pure brilliance... um, what are we talking about again?

Feb 17, 06 5:45 am  · 
 · 
trace™

his models always look bad. Bilbao looked horrible as a model, imho, but I love the building.

Feb 17, 06 8:34 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

The building will not be perceived like a model in the city (as in this photo), much less by people suffering from the disease.
Hopefully we will get to see more of this project, I hate it that there’s not enough media material on these projects, only TINY pictures !

Feb 17, 06 8:40 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

bilbaos' model didn't look THAT bad. granted it's a small picture and somewhat early in the process, but that looks terrible. and i think that the only way someone could feel comforted in that space is if they were in a coma, someone suffering alzheimer's is likely to be terrified by that building.
gehry's done some alright buildings, but i think that an alzheimer's center in las vegas is not up his alley.

so the bilbao effect has switched typologies from museums to alzheimer's institutes? that's either extremely avant garde, or really really dumb. i vote latter.

Feb 17, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

Nonono

I think it’s not smart to think that the people with the disease will be treated or spend most of their time in spaces like the one seen inside the metallic thingie there.

What I don’t like about this project is that it’s composed of the typical boxes with functions (where the sick people will be) and the metal thingie is the add-on-gehry-signature-titanium-what-makes-this-a-gehry-building

Most probably, what is inside the metallic folding are administration and public spaces.

More images !
Plans!!

Feb 17, 06 8:56 am  · 
 · 

awful...just awful...and what's with the look on FOG's face? is he constipated?

Feb 17, 06 9:48 am  · 
 · 
dyske

The great thing is that patients won't remember how ugly the building is...

Feb 17, 06 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

it seems that this bulding contains everything but no patient's room...
oh right, they would die of heart attach just after they see that curving metal, framing glass panels falling on them.

Feb 17, 06 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

id been defending Gehry's designs as being progressive, inspiring many other designers and clients etc etc., but this building is just nonsense

Feb 17, 06 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
ret

"forget" about it........thats the point here!

Feb 17, 06 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Yeah. Remember, scream, get an tranquilizer injection, and repeat the next day. It is like a fresh new building each and every day.

Hey ret. See any rain your way?

Feb 17, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

its raining in silverlake

Feb 17, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Cool and drizzly in South Pas.

Feb 17, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

garpike..you work in south pas??

i live there

Feb 17, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Just started working here two weeks ago.

Feb 17, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

where do you work?

Feb 17, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Not sure I can say on the inter-web.

Feb 17, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: