weAREtheSTONES
Feb 17, 06 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
e

no, don't get on lb's bad side.

Feb 17, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

weARE, you may have run into a hotlink issue. Try another source for your mysterious image.

Feb 17, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

for weARE:

Put the image's url inside {img} {/img}, not the website's url.

Feb 17, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

As For Myself....I would go online and look for an old Airstream Camper. If you restore it to original condition, I'm sure you would
spend a heck of a lot less than purchasing a container and refurbishing it.

Feb 17, 06 5:50 pm  · 
1  · 
snooker

Wondering how Will Bruder managed to get his rail cars from the track to the site?

Feb 17, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

Sure, shipping containers are a raw element created to facilitate the mobility of goods from one place to another. The modular units designed to fit in the back of trailers and structurally strong to be stacked vertically and so on……playing around with such elements and transforming then into spaces for individuals to dwell is a different story.

From what I see in the web page at the head of this thread it’s merely a disposition to construct, you are employing and existing element (the container) and with this you build houses, this is construction, at most we can say ingenuity at work.

If I understand correctly, the predominant vehicle driving this construction is the cost, “x” amount of dollar for this and that; at the end you have a roof over your head for the least amount of money possible (a noble objective, can’t argue with that).
For this purpose you are most correct you don’t need and architect.

Now, if you were to take the same elements; not only the container but all of the elements, tangible and intangible such as the site, climate, orientations, cooling and heating, view, scale, proportion function, etc. and equate a relationship of these parts to the whole, you may find intriguing alternatives to investigate. This investigation will lead to a “home” with a soul, its own spirit if you will, a unique expression of found and imposed elements that work together to enrich the life of those who occupied it. For this, you most certainly do need and architect, and probably not much more money.

We only want what we have experience, until an experience changes our wants.

Feb 17, 06 5:53 pm  · 
1  · 
snooker

Geeze...another thought just came to mind....all those decommissioned airplanes sitting on the ground in Tucson Arizona. They could become the next alternative home....and you would be part of the Jet Set.

Feb 17, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

snooker, check out the student center under buildings/institutional at Lo-Tek.

Feb 17, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Speaking of Lo-Tek, I say have a good ol' time with shipping containers, but try to solve the world's problems with them.

Unless you believe in reincarnation, have fun. I know. That sounds irresponsible. Like looking at shipping containers to solve problems is.

Feb 17, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES
link
Feb 17, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES
Feb 17, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES
Feb 17, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES
Feb 17, 06 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Shipconner

>"Boxing is for sissies!"
lol, ok maybe I knew I was inviting a verbal beating but I can take it. To be honest I was trolling for shipping container pictures/projects when I stumbled across one of this sites discussions. It was almost a total bash of container homes and the few people supporting them. So maybe it is just my brawling nature but I would like to think I am offering a somewhat educated perspective for those who are new to the idea or not willing to engauge in the fine Brouhaha we are having here.

> Is living in a container condusive to a Good Life?
Well I cannot say because I haven't lived in one yet... but I am fairly sure I will thoroughly enjoy owning land and a home that is bought and paid for which I never could have done had I followed the $200k mortgage route.

> Vindpust comments
You had a lot of questions! Please read my Land & Zoning page and if you still have questions please email me directly
through one of the forms on my site.

>shipping container homes are the invention of the rich architects' un imaginative solution to housing problem.
6 years ago I came up with the idea myself, as have many others before and after me. If I remember correctly the only two articles I could find on the Internet at that time were from the "Escape Artist" and DOI. I think it is a great solution arrived at by applying ingenuity to a need. As in the need to NOT work for most of my life to afford a home! Or the dream to ever have a home.

>initial cost savings-wise, long term cost savings-wise, convenience-wise, or performance-wise, than a standard mobile home?

Initial costs - are almost the same from what I can gather.
Long term costs - not comparable. A shipping container home with 3/4 inch corrugated walls could last several hundred years if taken care of. And the cost to do so would probably be similar to a normal mobile home. I bet $$ shipping container homes appreciate over time. Mobile homes do not!
convenience-wise - depends on what your convenience is. Mobility <= shipcon, price = even, built to suite <= mobileH
performace-wise - A home that lasts for hundreds of years! A home that takes a plasma cutter to break into!

>Gimmicky. I think it's cool, but it's no solution to anything.
>Unless you believe in reincarnation, have fun. I know. That sounds irresponsible. Like looking at shipping containers to >solve problems is.
Responsible solutions not gimmicks
http://users.lia.net/neweden/container.htm
http://www.gbs-gpc.com/
http://www.medicsintl.org/
http://www.erge-raumsysteme.de/

>if you live in shipping containers it is only a matter of time until the new robots come to get you.
We are not assimilated

Keep the pics and links coming!

Feb 17, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
AP

poor soul. reading that^ made me weary. g'night.

Feb 17, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Kentique

My mom had a clinic in a temporary structure in Kobe Japan called "Square 7"- because it was made of 7 shipping containers stacked to make a complex- therefore there was 7 tenants with their own business.

This was built in the 80s mainly because the place was going to be bulldozed to become a street in the future. During the hot summer it was hot, but nevertheless, the tenants liked the gagetry value.

Also, there are these cool truck containers called "wing-sya" in Japan. They open up with hydraulics, to allow things to be put in the container even in the narrow streets of Japan. Over the summer I was thinking about designing a house with a garage for a small K-car with jsut one of these wing-syas.

Feb 17, 06 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Shipconner

For those of you who haven't ruled out Shipping Container Homes I had the opportunity to interview Global Portable Buildings (Previously ChuckHouses). They have a new line of Shipping Container Homes that are fully customized and range from $7,500 - $14,000. Anyway I really liked them and will probably buy one.

Feb 23, 06 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Hi
Years ago I to was amazed by these steel boxes I seen a few projects on summer day's I looked inside for a moment and I guess I thought this could be a way ,not any more.
I simply think that the thought and detail insight shuld be put in use ,develobing the new safe houses. This don't ask old ships containers but a new architecture and stand against old convensions.

Feb 24, 06 4:12 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Shipconner...Very happy for you.Hope you can get a nice unrusted one ina lovely shade of pink.
Plant vines over it...and put a board above the main entrance written with "container,Sweet Container".

Feb 24, 06 5:42 am  · 
 · 
Shipconner

Vindpust,

I agree new shipping containers are the path of least resistance. I am in the "process" of contacting one of the manufacturers of insulated shipping containers. I am sure you already know but the newer ones are "mold poured" polystyrene/polyurethane with an aluminum interior and a stainless steel exterior. In fact these are the type that are used in the Antarctic, and would instantly solve all insulation issues. It is just amazing difficult to get any of these mega corporations to call me back!

Feb 24, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Hi,

This is my first blog. After cancelling a move to Hawaii 30 years ago for over a girl...I have come full circle and the literal lifelong dream will be a reality in 3 months after 3 years on planning for it. 30 years ago, I was enrolled in University of Hawaii in Hilo, had a job set up at Pizza Hut, and even had the plane ticket. that was many lives ago and I have been many different people since then and now I am more like the kid I was again. It feels good. I do believe things happen for a reason. If I had come to Hawaii 30 years ago, I would probably ended up in trouble. I put many things in my life aside many years ago, and now have a great wife and 2 sons who are Eagle Scouts. My 25th anniveasry is June 30, 2009...coming up this June and i plan on re-newing my vows some place to be determined in Hawaii. Enough of the mushy stuff.

Well, there is my opening comment with all it's spelling and grammar errors. I am not a good typer.

I did read this blog about container homes, though.

I think my input may be a bit different than what I read from others. With me, I don't see a container as all of my home...more of just a core place that could be a safe place to retreat to, even if the rest of your dwelling may not be so safe...much like a basement is in my part of the world.

I am thinking of how the occasional earthquake and hurricane type weather in the Puna area could damage or destroy a weak structure. I am from Kansas (uh...we did have a ocean here at one time just for all you snikering out there) and we know about weather that can blow a place apart. Even though Hawaii does not get hurricanes often, (but they do), they do get ''very'' strong storms often. Heck, I could hardly believe my eyes on tv last week...they showed a tornado in Honolulu...lol!

It is my thinking that while we are enduring a bad storm, that it would be reassuring to know that the part of the home made of the steel container would be relatively safe especially if you did obvious/creative things to make it more ''homey''.

You can take this ''core'' part of the house and add on whatever you want as you want to do it.

These caintainer homes can be as simple, as I have described here...or as extravagant as only ones imagination can create. If a person was to try and develope some huge conatainer type home, then it would be because the person decided he simply likes the idea...and that doing it to save money was not the point. In fact, in that example, it could be very expensive...but extremely neat on the cool scale. I have seen some pictures of conatainer homes that are just plain awesome. I don't have the bread for things like that, but I do see the possiblility of using one somewhere in my home.

Hopefully, I have shed a new perspective on this subject and maybe even given some of you a practical way to envision using these containers. Beleive me, I don't feel like I have to be an engineer or even very bright to aknowledge some of the very good points many have said about these. My suggestion to all is to take ideas from several of us and then come up with what we humans are so good at...our individuality and our own unique creative nature that teaches us all.

The ideas about using renting plasma torch, putting a roof that will shield the heat, etc are obviously very good suggestions. these things look very nice when thye are worked on to make them look like a more conventional home...but having a wall here or there inside or outside that is simply painted could look very nice. Remember...we are talking ab out Hawaii here, and insulation is not as much of a factor. Many home using single wall contruction work very well with the right ventallation. I like air conditioniong...at least ''some'', and would not mind paying for the expense of having a ''core area'' with AC to use when I want it.

I don't think that I would want to live in a home that was just one of these containers, and that was about all...that sounds a bit dreadful. I have rented these things and they could be very hot if not adapted creatively enough...it would take a lot of ''adapting'', no doubt. But what an awesomely strong fortress it could be to protect you during a hurricane! I spent a few years when I was younger along the Gulf of Mexico/Texas coast and even lived on Galveston island one summer. My job was renting surfboards...which I am sure you Hawaiians are rightfully laughing this time...but ....believe it or not...we ''did'' have some good surf there occasionally...''and'' this 50 year old semi-fat man can ''probably'' ''still'' get out there and surf. I know one thng...I plan on giving it a try when I get there. I will just have to find some ''baby'' waves..lol! (''very'' baby)...and make sure there are lifeguards nearby!

The way utilities are going anyone who wants to have an entire home that is large and heat and cool every part of it every day ..well...people like that have money and lots of it.

I have to be more frugal, and I think it is wise to prepare a home now for what we will need in 20 years. I will be passing my place down to my son and I want to pass something along he will be able to appreciate even in the future...not some money pit. Unless the lava cover it up...

I am curious if anyone will reply. I need some info on the Puna area subdivisions and would really appreciate some help and the possibility of making friends. We are coming. We have visited the area about a year ago, and I have done a impressive amount of reasearch on the area...but that does not replace what people who live there can share with me. I need your help and advice.

We visited Oahu and The Big Island. We went completely around each of them and it was evertyhing I had hoped. Ya' all ( a Kansas saying as convenient as aloha is...lol!) really do have a paradice there! I will be happy there. I initially had planned on moving to the Hilo area, but after our visit last year and after going to the Volcano Park and hearing the Park Rangers scare us about living in the area, we made our focus on moving somewhere on Oahu.
We do really love Oahu better, but we don't dislike the Big Island. I hope I have not offended anyone by how I said that...I don't mean to do that...really!

After watching Dog the Bounty Hunter on tv, I just ''knew'' there would be areas on Oahu we could afford...after all...we saw the areas he went to and thought we would be able to find a place. Reality has now taken place and I now know that the entire island of Oahu is too expensive. Not even ''close'' to the bagains that can be found in the Hilo area.

After studying the rainfall areas more specifacally, the lava flow histories, etc...I am now completely warmed back up to the Hilo/Puna area and my initial deire to move there is back again. It is so beautiful there, and the more country atmosphere is going to be more like we are used to here in Kansas. Ohau is very exciting, though. We will be content with the fact that we can travel very esily to the other Islands and that propect is now just as appealing to us. We are looking forward to our move so much that I can hardly even tell any of you.

Here in Kansas, the reaction from others about our move has been amusing. We either hear the type of response that makes us feel good...from our well wishers...or we hear a sarcastic, jealous sounding , ''Well...lucky f--king you''. (sorry about the fake curse, but that is what they say...lol!)...or we hear...''why do you want to move there?''

Uh...it is now Mid February and the temp is 19 degrees outside and I have delt with this type of weather for 50 years...plus the summers here are as hot as anyplace you can imagine...many days over 100....enough said on ''why''...lol! Plus...winter is ''far'' from done with us. Around here, it stays too cold and then whe the weather turns to summer-like it is like Miami Florida..only it actually get hotter here than Florida. I will admit...we do have 2 months a year that are Hawaii-like mid -May to mid-June ...and around September or so. The rest of the year is extremes...too cold or too hot and overly humid. We have about 3 months of 90's with near 100% humidity and no wind. You would not like it.

I feel lucky to know that Hawaii is a real option that few realize is possible. We hope to be looked upon by other ''Hawaiians'' as welcome newcomers and the type they are glad to see move there.

We will not come to change Hawaii, we will come to let Hawaii change us...as advice I have read.

I have no one here to talk to about Hawaii, so I welcome all email.

I don't know how a blog works, but i am about ready to find out.

punaorbust describes me very well.

Feb 18, 09 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

"i smell a new Per Corell in the making! First 3dh, now shipping containers saving the world...Proof positive that everyone and their grandmother can do what an Architect can!"

Peoplesee what they want to se - you to : First you throw "smell" onto me,-- for some reson that only exist in your head, Then you prove you know nothing about what I do or what my oppinion realy are ; but what do you care, the guy you harass live far away, and for you whatever you emagine are ground enough to sidekick some dirt ---- These are the victims you need: people who can not defend themself for the "truth" you boyled in your head, --- you realy are in need for some prygleknabe ....

And if your PRYGLEKNABE have not said something that make you elevate in your own glory, -- then you just put those words in your PRYGLEKNABES mouth.

So remember that it is NASA who said tht the only foult with 3dh is, that it is 20 year ahead its time. --- and then read what I said here about containers, just that will prove that all you want here, all you are looking for here, the way you percive an open debate here, is to create your own private PRYGLEKNABE, -- that is a different drive than my drive.

Feb 19, 09 5:57 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

I would like to live in something like this over a shipping container any day...

Feb 19, 09 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Pocket Mies

It's a flash page so you have to navigate to the project...

http://icarch.net/

Competitons

Architecture and dissent

David Eccleston

Feb 19, 09 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

silverlake...very nice!

I want one, but only as my second home...ha ha! My favorite is still the jet someone posted a picture of. Wouldn't that be something? Sure beats an old school bus except for the fact it can be mobile anymore!

Down in hillbilly country at The Lake of the Ozarks, where we have a weekend cabin/home, many people keep every boat they ever had. Just like people who do the same thing with old cars. If you live in an area that does not seem to care if people do that, then people do it. Many of these people have some boats that are actually small cabin cruisers or small house boats or even old sailboats...anything that had a liveable area inside it. Many of these have everything you would ever find in any travel trailer. If you have ever been inside an old vessel of these sorts , then you know how charming and cool they ''can'' be. Maybe they are not water worthy anymore, but many just set them up in their yards on cement blocks or whatever and simple make it a part of their home. What kid would not absolutely love a bedroon that was one of these. It would beat the heck out of any tree house a kid could pound together, although I do have fond memories of old ''forts'' and tree houses that I was an avid builder of as a kid.

I have straightened up many a bent nail with a ''rock'' and re-used it...and I am not joking, Not just any rock, mind you, but a ''good'' one...lol! Hammer? Didn't have one. Cordless drill/screwdriver ? Are you kidding? They were not even invented yet. Now days I can have a regular screwdriver in my tool box, and if the tip/bits breaks for my cordless...I just hop in the truck and go buy one. I pretty much just use a screwdriver to pry/chisel,etc with and their tips are all funky (sorry monkey). I can remember when it was really bad to ever let your screwdriver tips gets anything less than almost perfect. We have all got soft!

Lazy? Not exactly, but it is just the way were are now...we live for technology. I do, at least...and I admit it. I am pretty handy and don't mind getting dirty and like to get back to basics and all that...but I have my limitations. I am afraid I just can't do without my cordless lithium stuff and my various nail guns. I had to use a hammer one day a couple weeks ago. I am still pretty good with one, but I am rusty...but...man, was my arm sore later. I am softer than I realize. I may be 55, but that does not exlain it completely. Most of us workers just have to have our power equipment ...and it is a change for the better.

Blame Tim the toolman TV show, Home Improvement. We can all realate to that show to some shamefull testament of what we have become.

We usually lived in neighborhoods hoods with home construction and back in those days it was not stealing to roll a wagon up to them and load up used scrap lumber...even if the workers were there. We probably were so brazen back then that we would walk up to a carpenter that had a board in his hand and ask him if he was going to use it...lol! Now days, a child could find themself with a police record at a innocent age doing that...even though all these construction sites do with the lumber is haul it away to the dump. Maybe not the boards that are actually in the carpenters hands and beinng sawed on...but all the others...he he!

Any...sorry about the tangent there...back to the junk boats. I have see some people who ''don't'' actually have a yard full of junk or other old cars and boats...but they do have ''one'' boat that is landscaped around it, etc...and they are truly something to consider as a extra room...possibly a guesthouse.

I figure if people can consider taking one of these shipping containers or some of these ''yurts'' or ''eco-domes'' and put them in a neighborhood that allows them...then these ''boat home'' would be not much different. Noah would agree, I'm sure. Yes...I am referring to ''the '' Noah , that we all know and you Noah (sick/know) who that is.

Now, don't that just float your boat.

Feb 23, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

At the junkyard I would think?

Good luck with the acoustics too if you're serious.

Jan 21, 17 1:06 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Thanks for the spam, I flagged your post adamaw 

Jan 23, 17 6:11 am  · 
 · 
Vsuros1204

check this out

Jul 15, 17 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Finjohn

Preservation Tiny Homes out of New Orleans builds some interesting homes and businesses with shipping containers.

Nov 19, 18 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
nomadic68

Iv’e built a tiny home and some van build outs for friends. First let me say, I’m all for alternative living and materials. My concerns are that if you have land and don’t need to be mobile. Why would you limit yourself to 7.5’ wide and 20’ long. I’ve priced out a 12’ x 24’ 2x6 structure with 2x8 flooring and 2x10 roof beams. The cost of a 8x20 shipping container is between 3-5 thousand shipped. The 2x6 wood structure can be built for a little more and it is easier to insulate, side, install windows and doors, etc. A 12’x24’ structure is still small enough to be consider a tiny or small living structure. You only need a hammer, nails and hand saw, not a welder or crane to install. 

Dec 15, 20 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Just say NO to shipping containers as architecture

Dec 15, 20 1:29 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Friends don't let friends live in hot boxes.

Sep 16, 22 1:08 pm  · 
1  · 
gibbost

Why is this still a thing?

Sep 16, 22 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

My guess is a spambot necro'd the thread and then got deleted, which still leaves the thread on the first page...

(Then some smart-ass decided to add a comment anyway.)

Sep 16, 22 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: