pronunciation of arch acronym

matteo

what's the correct official pronunciation of acronyms like:

NAAB
NCARB
IDP
ARE
AIA

do you spell every single letter or do you pronounce them as a single word?

Feb 15, 06 9:56 am

with the exception of ncarb which is pronounced "en-carb" the rest are all just the letters said in succession.

Feb 15, 06 10:05 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Actually, when I was in the middle of them, I pronounce IDP and ARE with a ARRRRGGHHH sound.

Feb 15, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Usually the people who work for "en-carb" don't call themselves that. They actually spell out the letters.

People who work in architecture schools often refer to NAAB as "Nab", but again the people who work for NAAB usually pronounce all the letters instead.

Feb 15, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

Oh, I ALWAYS pronounce AIA as a single word.

sort of "ahhheeeeeuhhhhh", similar to Ikea.

Is that not right?

Feb 15, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

sorry matteo, that wasn't a dig if it came out that way. I just thought it'd be funny to hear all these old white men slurring their way through a fully pronounced 'AIA'.

Feb 15, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Is DAAP pronounced "dap"?

Feb 15, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

what is DAAP?

Feb 15, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ooops.

University of Cinncinnati Department of Art Architecture and Planning

Feb 15, 06 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

"uck-dap"?

Feb 15, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I know there are DAAP-ers here somewhere.

Uck, eh? So did I go to Uck-Lah or Yoo-Klah here in La-la?

Feb 15, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

That is Oook-Lah, garpike. Also the chinese word for sweatshirt.

Feb 15, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
spark

usually we pronounce it "f_cking NCARB"

Feb 15, 06 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
meta

On a tangent, I know OMA stands for Office of Metropolitan Architecture. What does AMO stand for?

Feb 16, 06 6:32 am  · 
 · 

hey i went to undergrad at "woo-stuhl in the looo"
(that's Washington University in St. Louis)
and that's really how we pronounced it

Feb 16, 06 7:39 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Actually garpike, DAAP stands for the College of "Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning". UC has 17 colleges, of which DAAP is one.

And yes it is pronounced "dap". It was much less interesting before they added the School of Planning.

Feb 16, 06 7:40 am  · 
 · 
antipod

In Britain we pronounce the ARB as F*%$ YOU...

Feb 16, 06 8:34 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

Isn't AMO is their special projects division, where they do their wacky stuff (more or less)?

Feb 16, 06 9:03 am  · 
 · 
meta

Yeah, AMO supposedly is the Think Tank of OMA. Anyone here knows what it stands for? I spent over 15 minutes searching the internet.. yet could`nt find it.

Feb 16, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
cynic

I know someone who used to work there and I heard that at one point it stood for "Advanced Media Office".....but I think that no one really calls it that....it seems that people prefer the acronym because it is more important to be the mirror image of OMA, rather than have some other more specific title.......but don't quote me on that.

Feb 16, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

"I know someone who used to work there and I heard that at one point it stood for "Advanced Media Office".....but I think that no one really calls it that....it seems that people prefer the acronym because it is more important to be the mirror image of OMA, rather than have some other more specific title.......but don't quote me on that." -cynic

Feb 16, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

What was the purpose of that post?

I think that that is actually the ONLY reason it is called AMO, because it is OMA backwards. No, really. I thought I read that somewhere.

Feb 16, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 

the amo discussion reminds me of the band mdc (80s west coast punk, if i'm remembering correctly) which had a whole host of things that mdc stood for, 'millions of dead cops' among them.

i think that amo should use the same strategy.

Feb 16, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
justinx

WHAT ABOUT EIFS?
"E - FUSS" OR "I - FUSS"

ASSUMING YOU ARE BEING UNFORTUNATELY FORCED TO SPEC IT IN THE FIRST PLACE...

Feb 16, 06 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

cynic finished his post with "but don't quote me on that".

i thought it'd be mildly amusing to immediately quote him on that.

well... at least i make myself laugh.

Feb 16, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
hibz

haha u made me laugh as well superheavy, not sure if it's out of mere boredom or it actually being mildly amusing

Feb 16, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
hibz

haha u made me laugh as well superheavy, not sure if it's out of mere boredom or it actually being mildly amusing

Feb 16, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

speaking of DAAP, a few years back the University of Cincinnati printed themselves up some DAAP window sticker for the cars....

'College of Design, Art, Agriculture, and Planning'

I thought it was funny

Feb 16, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

mdler, I still have my window sticker somewhere I think. Once we figured out they had them, they sold out at the bookstore in what, an hour, I think? What a classic.

SH, I got the joke right after I hit "Submit". Yeah I laughed.

Feb 16, 06 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ah yes. I now know of the dap. And the Chinese sweatshirts.

My uncle asked my 4-year-old cousin "You see LA?" Not only did he get the joke, but he recognized how lame it was with a certain you-have-to-be-kidding look on his face.

Feb 16, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: