Archinect
anchor

Help!!!!!!! 3 hr assembly with 6" CMU wall?

Reason

I wonder if any one knows any 3 hr assembly with 6" CMU wall. It will save us a lot of money to keep the exsting CMU wall between the two buildings. But I can't find any at the 2000 Fire Resistance Directory. Your help will be really appreciated. Thank you!

Feb 14, 06 7:12 pm
cf

No listing found.
1. Talk to an official about a variation of UL Design no. U910 for 5 5/8" block.
2. Worst condition, assume no fire rating for the existing block. Use UL Design no. U426 with channels or metal studs.

Feb 15, 06 9:14 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

have you tried calculating the fire resistance of the assembly yourself?

Feb 15, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
cf

Be certain you can prove to inspectors that your existing partition has a documented rating if you want to take the responsiblity calculating the multiple material rating. Otherwise, let someone else make the documented fire rating decision.

Feb 15, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Reason

Thanks for your response. I don't know how to calculate myself. I guess it is better to use proved and tested assembly.

cf, What official should I talk to? City permit person or any related organization ?

it's a great idea to just build another 3 hr assembly next to the exsting wall. Since we only have 6" CMU wall on the top part of the wall. The concrete panel below will be OK for 3 hrs.

Feb 16, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I think IBC 2003 has some info for calculating fire ratings for built up assemblies.

I trust you went through the UL online site.

Feb 16, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Yes, I did found UL online. It's a great help for a search. Thanks dsc_arch.

Feb 16, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: