Archinect
anchor

Interviewing for second job out of school - what to do...?

2ndjobwhat?

Any tips on (quickly) revamping portfolio from school with office work, after around 2 years of work in an office? opportunity came up very quickly, and need to ramp up in a (busy, short) week. I am planning to pare things down to the top 3 or 4 projects, and then take a set of drawings I worked on, plus my own project I'm in charge of... what's the word - what matters most at this point, the portfolio? actual cd sets? good bs during the interview? how is it different from the first time around, which to me seemed pretty easy?

thnx

(i've posted on archinect before, under another name...but I'm paranoid about how small this world is so I done changed it....thanks for your understanding...)

Feb 13, 06 4:02 pm
mad+dash

I just interviewed today for my third job out of school. I bombed badly. Good bs during the interview matters most because I knew I was the most qualified though am not expecting a return call back. ohh well.

Feb 13, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

simple things like remembring the names of the structural engineer of the project that you're showing.....having a little memory recall of those facts on the projects goes a long way. otherwise sounds like you have a handle on it from the description you gave. have some good questions about what they're doing and past projects - good luck.

Feb 13, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I think I may have overkilled my portfolio for my second out-of-school interview (but it was impressive, and good to have). Seems like a few loose sheets would have sufficed - a simple page with a project illustrated (plan, rendering, a detail). Make it a similar format as your school one, then you can bring a few select pages from there. Although I didn't have any school work to show by then, and it wasn't necessary. I brought in a half size set of some CD's that I was in charge of producing.

To keep an ongoing portfolio, I might succumb to the pre-bound book with plastic inserts to update as I go along.

As for how the interview was different, I felt my interviewers were looking for my communication skills first, now I interacted with them, how I presented my projects, and if I was prepared to answer questions. The seemed less interested in the portfolio projects, and more in what I said about them, the layout of the pages, etc. I think this is b/c I am still a yungin. I tried to express my varied responsibilites, to show that I was a go-getter and didn't sit on an CAD station all day (even though it was partly true).

Also, talk the talk, don't say, "and stuff" or "you know" SAY WHAT YOU MEAN and talk about as much project managment, if not more, than design talk.

Keep a sense of humor, and humility about it. Most likely your interviewer will try to break the ice - let them, give em a big smile and show you are good to get along with. Don't act like a know-it-all who's going to waltz into the new office and show everyone up. Be genuinely interested in the next phase of your career and what it is to come. Be prepared to answer questions about goals for licensure, and taking yourself to the next level.

Don't be afraid to ask difficult questions of them, as long as they are not condescending, of course. I wish I had done this. Only after I felt I was going to get an offer, but I would have asked some open answer questions like, "What are 2 things that could be improved about this office?" or "What is the best thing about working here?"

Feb 13, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
digger

a good personality, strong communication skills, perception and intelligence will overcome weakness in a portfolio every time ... the prospective employer wants to know a) can you do the work; b) are you interested in being helpful to the firm - and not just stuck on what the firm can do for you; c) do you have the capacity to learn and grow; and d) will you fit in well with their culture

if the opportunity came up quickly and they know you weren't already in the job market, then don't sweat the details ... just gather the information you think best represents what you can do (and have done) and show up with a plausible story about how it's organized -- but, be organized -- don't just show up with a sack full of drawings ... if they're too shallow to understand the circumstances surrounding what you bring, it's probably not the place for you

i interview candidates a lot ... i've learned to look for diversity of experience, some evidence of talent, lots of evidence of intelligence and solid, solid people skills ... we can teach you knowledge ... we can't make you smart and we can't teach you to get along with clients, contractors and colleagues ... i've hired lots of great people with average portfolios, but will dump a candidate with a lousy personality or an outsided ego in a heartbead, no matter how stunning the portfolio

Feb 13, 06 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Try to make sure you can answer some questions about the size of the projects you've worked on (both square footage and construction cost.)

Feb 13, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

and wear a tie.

Feb 14, 06 3:51 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Well for one of my first interviews out of college, I wore a tie!!..

I was the only clot wearing a tie !! and my interviewer (aka. the boss) waltzes in wearing a led zep t-shirt and long combat shorts !!! the rest of the office was equally casual. and there i was, shirt tucked in. khakis neatly ironed, every strand of hair neatly placed and sweating my goddamn pores out.

needless to say, I didn't get a call back !!

Feb 14, 06 4:05 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Well for one of my first interviews out of college, I wore a tie!!..

I was the only clot wearing a tie !! and my interviewer (aka. the boss) waltzes in wearing a led zep t-shirt and long combat shorts !!! the rest of the office was equally casual. and there i was, shirt tucked in. khakis neatly ironed, every strand of hair neatly placed and sweating my goddamn pores out.

needless to say, I didn't get a call back !!

Feb 14, 06 4:05 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

damn .. i should stop double clicking !!

Feb 14, 06 4:06 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

sporadic..u should thank your stars u didnt get in there........

i wonder what office system would there be in that place, if the boss comes to work in a heavy metal tee and 3/4ths.
did he offer you a smoke as well ?

Its nice to see arch offices which stray a bit from the stiff upper lip starched white collar look but hey even 'cool' has its limits.

It doesnt reflect well on a firm if a high-profile client suddenly decides to drop in and finds the boss and clients in ripped denims and caps turned backwards or something like that.

doesnt fit in even if you may be one of the most famous, successful arch firm.

people could behave that way in an advertising office..but architecture ..its a dignified profession. Well.. I dont know.

Feb 14, 06 4:23 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

* boss and staff

Feb 14, 06 4:31 am  · 
 · 
A

Don't sweat the portfolio too much. I never bothered bringing in sets of CD's or anything like that. Some photos of finished work is nice and some schematic sketches to show your original idea. A lot of it is BS. After two years you should be able to talk-the-talk. At my 2nd and 3rd interviews I did show some college work still. Mostly sketches from travels and some thesis renderings. Since being out of school I've rarely sat down with colored markers and made something look pretty. You should dress at least a shade better than the dress code for the job you want. It's hard to know if they wear shorts and concert t-shirts, but you're probably safer betting on wearing a tie. I still think most people hire on personality and less on ability. Just be natural and you should be fine.

Feb 14, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: