Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

proto

(i almost made a thread since it's likely there are more gems [& sorry for the IG link after the social media hate above!])https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca...

just amazing

Mar 21, 22 11:59 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

I kinda like this?

Mar 21, 22 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That account is great

Mar 21, 22 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I've actually thought about doing something like that in a desert environment myself.

Mar 21, 22 2:12 pm  · 
1  · 

Rode 16 miles and went to see a Lego exhibit today. Getting in all the funemployment goodness before April 4th

Mar 21, 22 4:58 pm  · 
4  · 

Do you start a new position on April 4th? Good job on the ride by the way!

Mar 22, 22 10:28 am  · 
 · 

I do. Looking forward to getting back to things.

Mar 23, 22 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

Josh that's great, did you get to see any decent LEGO projects? I am starting off at a new position in April as well. Best of luck to both of us!

Mar 24, 22 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

My GenX brain heard this the other day, and it already sounded so antiquated; Gender Neutral Locker/Bathroom. For a school no less. It's amazing how far we've come in such a short time. I suggested that it would seem that we are moving away from this phrasing, and that schools may be inclined to use facilities like this punitively, and force segregation on students that are transitioning, or don't identify with their assigned gender. 

It's really interesting, and in many ways tragic, how architecture is used to harm people, in both intended, and unattended ways.

Mar 21, 22 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We had one large client request that both the mens and womens washrooms (8ish fixtures per) only have stalls. Ie, no urinals. Use what ever one you want. Was a neat idea I’ve not seen since.

Mar 21, 22 7:40 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

The large university here is one of my bigger clients and their official policy is gender neutral washrooms for all new construction, and wherever possible, even renovations. I've been doing this a lot for restaurants lately too. Individual stalls and communal sinks. Super common here. It might help that the head of plans examination here has a visible disability and is very encouraging of alternate solutions like that. I can't say the same for the rest of his staff, but there's hope.

Mar 21, 22 11:53 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

This is the way. European-style toilet partitions (or individual rooms if they can afford the lighting/ vent/ fire alarms) with a common sink. No urinals. I even got to use one of those round wash-basin style sinks recently in this capacity.

Mar 22, 22 8:37 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I might have written this here before, but many years ago... like 15 or 16years ago... I remember a public washroom in some french city (tourist area Grenoble, perhaps) with 2 distinctive doors. Men's, and Women's (in french, obviously). Both doors led to the same gigantic room with urinals on the left, sinks on the right, and stalls in between.

Mar 22, 22 8:42 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I think the long term solution is that all public toilets, locker rooms, and showers will have to become single-occupant type, or at very least the partitions and doors of the stalls be redesigned to provide complete privacy and all multi-accommodation rooms be designated for all genders.

The current solution I see the most is to have a couple single-accommodation toilets or showers in addition to the usual gendered ones, but in a school setting where even future decent adults are known for being merciless about any "otherness", just being seen going into or coming out of the "special" toilets or showers could draw unwanted attention.

Mar 22, 22 5:50 pm  · 
2  ·  1
SneakyPete

It would also be really cool if we could somehow stop equating nudity with sexual activity. But that's just a dream.

Mar 22, 22 11:03 pm  · 
1  ·  1
atelier nobody

At the risk of possible TMI, I have some experience in communities where casual nudity isn't a big deal and a few transgender friends. Even in that environment, transgender people can be very self-conscious about their parts not matching their identity - all of my transgender friends keep their bathing suits on even when everyone else is skinny-dipping.

Even if our culture changed to the point that all-gender locker rooms were no big deal, there would still be transgender people who would be uncomfortable (not to mention all of the other people that are just shy for reasons having nothing to do with gender dysmorphia).

Mar 23, 22 1:49 pm  · 
SneakyPete

I did not intend to ignore the real issues of trans people. I apologize.

Mar 23, 22 3:51 pm  · 
1  ·  1
atelier nobody

No apology necessary - I'm sorry if I came off as critical of you or your statement. I think you and I are in complete agreement about the normalization of the human body - I just wanted to expand on the thought a little vis-a-vis the topic at hand.

Mar 23, 22 7:31 pm  · 
bowling_ball

atelier nobody, I don't know if this changes anything but the washrooms I'm talking about are single-accommodation as you put it. It's becoming the norm here. In fact I'm sitting down in one right now, writing this comment. The sign on the for says "Whatever, just wash your hands" and who am I to argue? My circle of friends involves plenty of trans and non-binary people. I really couldn't give less of a shit (no pun!) what bathroom anybody uses. The entire issue is so overblown.

Mar 23, 22 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

sign on the for = sign on the door

Mar 23, 22 9:54 pm  · 
 · 

What do I need to do to get AIA to stop selling my contact information to companies that want to spam me?

Mar 22, 22 1:41 pm  · 
1  · 

Not be a member of AIA?

Mar 22, 22 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

too late

Mar 22, 22 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, me too.

You may want to read this, looks like they don't sell your contact info . . . kind of?

https://www.aia.org/pages/2269...

CAN Spam Act of 2003 that AIA follows . . .

https://www.ftc.gov/business-g...

Mar 22, 22 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

I'd like to believe that, but I've been on the receiving end of spam trying to sell me the AIA contact list a few times now (I'll try to remember to post a screenshot next time I see it in my junk folder). So whether they are selling it to a third-party, or the third-party is getting it some other way ... they aren't doing a very good job of keeping my contact information private.

Also, they can follow the CAN-SPAM Act in their own communications with us, but I don't think that prevents them from selling information to other parties who may not follow it.

Mar 23, 22 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

The link above says they don't sell your contact info to anyone. I'd be curious to learn how third parties gain access to contact info if a company doesn't provide it. I'm sure there is a loophole somewhere. Hence the 'kind of' caveat at the end of my comment. ;)

Mar 24, 22 11:29 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I let the domain expire, but for a while I had a domain name for emails that was set up so that any message that went to any address @ that domain would forward to my inbox. When I signed up for things i'd use the name of the company / website as my email address i.e. "archinect@domain(dot)com", or "bestbuy@domain(dot)com". It was an easy way to see where spam was coming from.

Mar 24, 22 11:47 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

That's clever.

Mar 24, 22 12:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Not trying to pick a fight or anything Chad, but I didn't see that in the link you shared. I saw that they said they don't sell non-member data for bulk mailing.

"Non-member customer data generally obtained through online or storefront (paper) registration and sales is for internal AIA purposes only and is not shared or sold to vendors for bulk mail solicitations."

I also saw that they don't make the same claim for member data, but do instead offer mailing lists to advantage partners (https://www.aia.org/partners), but they claim this doesn't include email, phone, or demographic data.

"AIA has several advantage partners who have access to membership lists for promotional mailings. Email addresses, telephone numbers, and other demographic data are not made available to our advantage partners."

Again, I'd like to believe them, but it seems it's getting out somehow based on what I'm seeing in my junk folder.

Mar 24, 22 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

That's a good catch EA!  I clearly misread that, thanks for pointing it out!  

I would like to know how the data is getting out - either through AIA selling it or some other loophole type situation. I agree that the data is getting out somehow. 

On a related note I'm not getting that spam. Mostly just AIA stuff. I only get one unsolicited magazine. I have no idea how I've accomplished this. ;)

Mar 24, 22 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I'm not an AIA member, so I'm not sure, but many organizations I am a member of have a member directory publicly available on their website, so it wouldn't even be too hard create a routine that would just download all the available member information from there.

Mar 24, 22 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

atelier - good point. States have a publicly available websites that lists all of their lessened professionals that include a current working address. It wouldn't be difficult to get that info and sort it based on professional type.

Mar 24, 22 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

atelier, I thought of that too and it is a good point. I've avoided complaining about AIA specifically until I was sure it wasn't getting out in some other way. The only other organization I'm a member of (CSI) does have me listed in their online member directory, but I've hidden all my contact information precisely so I don't get cold called by manufacturers and product reps. So not even members, or the general public, should be able to get it that way. Here's what my public profile looks like after I redact my name/credentials (yes, it's been this way for years now, and any contact information that would have been listed previously is outdated):

CSI could still be selling my information to 3rd parties, but when I get spam about buying contact lists of AIA members (not registered/licensed architects, not AEC professionals, not CSI members ... but AIA members), that's when I settled on the most likely explanation is the AIA isn't keeping private our contact information.

I'm actually hoping I get something again soon to show you all what I mean. I just cleared out my junk folder which is why I brought it up, but those messages are obviously gone having just cleared it out.

Mar 24, 22 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Everyday Architect, it wouldn't surprise me at all if AIA were selling your information while claiming not to - they wouldn't be the first or last organization to do so. It's also possible that a rogue employee at AIA is selling the information without their knowledge or, as I pointed out above, there may be some other way for marketers to get at the info. If I were a betting man...I absolutely would not bet among the different possibilities on this one.

Mar 29, 22 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

Whew - I'm ready for this week to be done so I can do some mountain biking.  Just got my ride tuned up, replaced my chain (it was stretched),  and extended my front stem.  

Mar 23, 22 11:20 am  · 
1  · 

I'm tired of riding the trainer at night after the kiddo goes to bed. I've been itching to get out more and more on my road bike. Ordered some tire sealant and other things last week getting ready for the spring weather.

Mar 23, 22 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

I'm starting to train for a ride in August called 'The Palisade Plunge' 20 miles of downhill where you loose over 5,000 ft on some technical terrain. I will be walking a lot of it. Also I'll be wearing a full face helmet with chest, elbow, and knee pads.

Mar 23, 22 5:51 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

Palisade Plunge looks amazing. I love it as an example of the place-making powers of outdoor sports. It is such an attraction for the area.

Mar 29, 22 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

The whole AZP and his sock puppets thing went from "mildly amusing" to "OMG" to "ok, this is actually just sad" pretty quickly this week. 

Mar 24, 22 8:25 pm  · 
2  · 

???

Mar 25, 22 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, see here:

https://archinect.com/news/art...

Mar 25, 22 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Thanks NS. I don't follow acidemia at all. I didn't even know there was trouble in the program.

Mar 25, 22 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The big green head is skating circles and slam dunking field-goals all over AZP's "cancelation" claims.

Mar 25, 22 10:31 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

It's a equal parts sad and funny to watch someone so arrogant that they can't even fathom not having a basic grasp of something.

Mar 25, 22 11:22 am  · 
3  · 

I think it was a mistake to name your firm 'GGLO'.
"Hi, this is gigolo may I help you?"
Oh well, they are hiring, must be working out for them...

Mar 25, 22 11:18 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

Looks like another all-nighter at the office.Saturday Night Live Dan Aykroyd Fred Garvin Male Prostitute T-Shirt | eBay

Mar 25, 22 12:53 pm  · 
3  · 

Easy to pivot when they ABI tanks in a recession

Mar 25, 22 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

AZP having multiple accounts made my day 

Mar 25, 22 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

So I quit my job, am moving to a warmer climate, and basically just living in a a van down by the river for the next 2+ years chilling the fuck out. I'm trying to pick up some part-time contract work so I don't completely bankrupt myself and I know a few TC regulars have done it successfully. What was your secret? Did you pick a niche and focus there or just be available for whatever jobs might find you?

I have a 12 years of experience now, with 7 built ground-up or significant interiors projects that I was design arch and PA for, so my skills are sharpest in just straight-up architecture, which is a hard thing to do on a contract or part-time basis. It's also not very relaxing. I could probably be successful with my own shop but see above, I'm beyond burnt out. Thus the desire for something part-time and not so all-consuming as my own architecture projects.

Mar 29, 22 3:44 pm  · 
10  · 

Get back to basics. Take a job outside of architecture. Think about what your life priorities are and if anything in architecture can help you achieve them. Stay safe, and keep us posted. My 2¢.

Mar 29, 22 6:18 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

really depends on the van

and the river

Mar 29, 22 6:48 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

River TBD, but you know its a 1992 Chevy Astro Van baby, nothing but the best.

Mar 29, 22 7:08 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

Drafting work might be easier to pick up than PA work, and less stressful, if you have a powerful enough laptop and your own copy(ies) of whichever CAD/BIM software. On the other hand, z1111 may also have a point - maybe just pour coffee for a bit.

Mar 29, 22 7:37 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Good luck, archanonymous. That's a big step that sounds really tempting in many ways.

Mar 30, 22 2:49 am  · 
1  · 
square.

i more than understand and applaud you - eager to see how this turns out.

Mar 30, 22 9:28 am  · 
1  · 

Best of luck to you Anon. Keep us posted where you end up. If you go out West, please be ok with me setting up my tent outside your van.

Mar 30, 22 10:28 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Haha, of course.

Mar 30, 22 10:42 am  · 
 · 
proto

be sure to attach as many clean & unused overlanding accessories to the outside of your van as possible; it's how you will be recognized as a remote van lifer, esp traction boards & rotopax containers...absolutely essential

#vanlifebro

Mar 30, 22 12:55 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

@proto, I'm definitely doing that, but with electronics and office items. Old mechanical keyboards strapped to the back door instead of traction boards, coils of cat5 cable instead of tow ropes, mount up some chonky flat-panel monitors on the back, and some drafting lights where the rally lights would normally go.

Mar 31, 22 1:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^drafting table with mayline as roof rack.

Mar 31, 22 2:21 pm  · 
3  · 
axonapoplectic

I had no idea about the Sci Arc debacle until it started popping up as memes on Twitter.

Mar 31, 22 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I hate to miss a good debacle.

Mar 31, 22 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

between this debacle and AZP's multiple sock puppets it's been an interesting two weeks in architectural academia

Mar 31, 22 6:49 pm  · 
4  · 

That's one of the reasons I haven't had anything to do with architectural academia after I graduated. Other than mentoring high schoolers who are interested in architecture.

Apr 1, 22 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

speaking of debacles, I am still alive.

Apr 1, 22 11:08 am  · 
8  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I know you are, because I can feel your warmth!

Apr 1, 22 11:35 am  · 
1  · 

he is more like alive+

Apr 1, 22 2:17 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

How's things in the witness protection program, "Dave"?

Apr 1, 22 2:59 pm  · 
3  · 

Some of you may have seen this already, but I was interviewed about my taking a leave from the profession a bit. Luckily I found a great new opportunity that aligns with my values on how the profession should be, and I’m truly back in the affordable housing realm.
The Burnout Problem in Architecture

Apr 2, 22 1:59 pm  · 
6  · 

It's 4/4, and if I'm reading your recent posts correctly that means you start a new gig today. Congrats. Hope it works out well for you. You obviously don't have to share where it's at, but I'm curious to know if you do decide to share.

Apr 4, 22 12:51 pm  · 
1  · 

Yes, I did start today. Canopy Architects + Designers here in Chicago. Affordable housing and community based design. Right in my wheelhouse and similar thoughts on work/life balance

Apr 4, 22 10:02 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

This might interest some of you: https://mailchi.mp/86e4f6fdf03...

PRETTY GOOD LANDSCAPING

Thursday, April 7, 2022
6pm ET • 5pm CT • 4pm MT • 3pm PT

Landscaping can be a lot more than monoculture grass and dyed-bark mulch. Pretty Good Landscapes are ecologically sensitive, use locally sourced plants and materials, relate to the surrounding habitat, and complement a house’s architecture. They are climate-appropriate, resource-efficient, and long-lived. Learn what goes into designing such a landscape—it’s easier than you might think. Join us and landscape architects Kerry Lewis and Sutter Wehmeier to discuss Pretty Good Landscaping!

Please register in advance for The BS + Beer Show here:  https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_KnxdjKNiTdq0ngN6rKgMbw

Apr 4, 22 2:17 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The Real Suhlap Heard Round The World
Apr 4, 22 2:53 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The company I work for, is hemorrhaging staff, myself shortly. OOOF. 

Apr 4, 22 5:19 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

What’s the % leaving? I’m getting the feeling this will be happening here too with our already stretched staff pool.

Apr 5, 22 7:23 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Got this weird recruiter email to my work account about 2 weeks ago:

We’re looking for someone special.  Allow me to explain…

Architecture is an intrinsically aspirational discipline.  So long as it satisfies the prerequisites of health, safety, and human welfare, the sky is quite literally the limit on creativity.

Embodying  bold clear vision, our client is literally transforming the way people work and live.  They are creating mindfully innovative structures which radiate with possibility and inspire a new way of thinking about space and design.

Would you be interested in learning about this architecture firm and its disruptive business model?

If you send me your Gmail or other private email address, I will send you the complete overview.

The wanker just cold-called me on my office extension and layered on the sleezeball used car salesman quick talk.   Dude... there is a reason why no-one is returning your emails.

Apr 5, 22 5:16 pm  · 
4  · 

Had a recruiter call me a couple of weeks back. I told this person I wasn't interested. They then tried the "so you aren't interested in finding a better firm and furthering your career . . ." line. I responded by saying I'm a junior partner with ownership in the firm. There response was "oh" ::click::

Apr 5, 22 6:01 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

I need a shower after reading that message, Non. 

And recruiters' constant phone calls and emails at work is the most "disruptive business model" there is.  Boom!

Apr 6, 22 12:37 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Innovative disruptive and ground-breaking office yet they rely on antiquated recruiters to drum up staff? Like... if the firm in questions is so fucking awesome, should there not literally be a line-up of people dropping off CVs? The same text is pasted over the agency's website in several other adds but the office I'm suspecting is the source of this one also has a add out for "rainmaker" position.

Apr 6, 22 2:20 pm  · 
3  · 

I gots to know what firm this iz!

Apr 6, 22 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

NS, I was thinking the same thing and then I realized those are probably relative terms.

Apr 6, 22 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

I swear I got a similar message not that long ago ... "bold vision," "disruptive firm," "private email address," etc. I wonder if there was a thread where we all posted the messages we get from recruiters if we'd be able to quickly see some patterns? I'm assuming yes.

In other news this week, a firm is open to bringing me on 100% remote.

"I hope you have been well! [Company Name] is looking for a [Position Title] to join their team. They are open to bringing on someone to work 100% remote. Please let me know if this is something that you'd be interested in and I'd be happy to share more information!"

Apr 6, 22 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

I am willing to bet those are the search terms rank high on the Google algorithm.

Apr 6, 22 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
proto

re: Everyday Architect's last post in the "All my comments are all deleted" thread [now apparently locked]

I have noticed occasionally necro-threads bumped, but then can't find the post that bumped them...

Apr 6, 22 11:38 am  · 
2  · 

That's because the necro thread bumper was a spammer and the Big Green Head (all hail its ban hammer) nuked 'em.

Apr 6, 22 12:52 pm  · 
1  ·  1
proto

& that apparently doesn't retire the thread back to wherever it came from in the history? [date of last post]

Apr 6, 22 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

I think it takes a bit of time to work through the website to update and relegate the thread back to where it came from. I don't know what that timeline is, but I think it eventually catches up

Apr 6, 22 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
proto

gotcha, thx

Apr 6, 22 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Hey big green head, can we get some edit post functionality for the mobile interface? Annoying to have to switch to desktop mode to edit a spelling error. 

Apr 7, 22 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You can edit posts from mobile though.

I did it to add the photo.

Apr 7, 22 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

. . . .

Apr 7, 22 6:59 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I didn't say I couldn't do it, the edit post link is missing for me in the mobile version of the forum. I need to request the desktop version to see it.

Apr 7, 22 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Also would be nice to be able to insert a photo into a reply.

Apr 7, 22 7:11 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

By the way b3ta I find that photo offensive.

Apr 7, 22 7:12 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I also can’t edit from my phone.

Apr 7, 22 7:20 pm  · 
1  ·  1
b3tadine[sutures]

They turned it off for Canada, standards, gotta have em.

Apr 7, 22 11:02 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

because I can't add photos to replies on mobile. 

Apr 7, 22 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Are you using the Archinect app?

Apr 7, 22 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
proto

i didn't know there was an app

Apr 8, 22 11:54 am  · 
 · 

The mobile web interface is better than the app if I recall. Hasn’t the BGH basically said use mobile web rather than the app anyway?

Apr 8, 22 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Also, I don’t have ability to edit on mobile web interface. Is this a Safari vs. Chrome vs. whatever thing?

Apr 8, 22 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I use a browser native to my phone, so it's not just whatever you're using.

Apr 8, 22 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

my job went from being part of a team helping to brainstorm ideas and present designs to clients to me spending 90% of my time demonstrating to a stubborn boomer how their ridiculous ideas don’t work.

Before the pandemic I could walk over to someone and say “hey, this doesn’t work, how about we do this?” And they would he like “ah - ok.” Now it’s a day or two of me drawing up diagrams and doing a whole zoom presentation to someone who refuses to come into the office and seemingly cannot understand the primary reason something doesn’t work no matter how much I explain it to them. 

My motivation is completely gone.

Apr 12, 22 10:55 am  · 
1  · 

Bummer. Can you fire them?

Apr 12, 22 11:39 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Same story here too. The disconnect between involved parties is a big hurdle for us and eventhough we're all (mostly) full time back in the office... C19 WFH habits remain.

Apr 12, 22 11:51 am  · 
 · 

I find that really odd - if they could understand how something didn't work before C19 why can't they understand now?

Apr 12, 22 12:20 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

sounds like a personnel problem - we're doing just fine with wfh

Apr 12, 22 12:34 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

This person was totally fine to work with before the pandemic. Since they’ve been WFH it’s been increasingly challenging. I feel like they’ve lost touch with reality.

Apr 12, 22 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

jla lately.

Apr 12, 22 2:59 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

thanks admins for deleting that ridiculous thread.

Apr 12, 22 3:00 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

what did i miss?

Apr 12, 22 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

ah.

Apr 12, 22 3:30 pm  · 
1  · 

You didn't miss much proto. X-jla tried to say that ' dem cites' want to be like the current Chinese government. X-jla also said that this was his opinion so no one could ask for sources that supported his claims. What a tool.

Apr 12, 22 5:00 pm  · 
4  · 

Proud of myself I still have him on "ignore." Usually I haven't lasted this long but it has helped a bit with the forum. I plan on sticking with it for now.

Apr 12, 22 7:38 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

i put him on ignore now...just mental the level of grievance-pushing...i'm done with rewarding it

Apr 13, 22 11:57 am  · 
 · 
tduds

FWIW I flagged the thread, and it seems that got a response. A lesson perhaps for future threads...

Apr 14, 22 12:39 am  · 
3  · 

I've noticed flagging gets responses most of the time. I think the moderators have a lot to do and don't necessarily see everything we might. Flagging something gets their attention and they can review and take action. There have been times I've flagged a whole series of comments that seems to be heading in a different direction than the thread, and they've come in and cleaned it up. Actions seem to range from nuking the comments and locking out the user, to simply hiding the comments but allowing the discussion to continue for those who want to click through to unhide the comments.

Apr 14, 22 12:00 pm  · 
1  · 

I just piss off of x-jla by using simple logic to poke holes in his opinions. I clearly live in that fools head rent free. The funny thing is that until I see a bullshit opinion post of his I forget he even exists.

Apr 14, 22 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Every time you open the paper now, there seems to be another celebrity getting arrest for masturbation. First, it was Peewee Herman and then George Michael. If masturbation's a crime, I should be on death row.

Gilbert Gottfried

Apr 12, 22 4:34 pm  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The man was an iconoclast. His Aristocrat routine, legendary.

Apr 12, 22 6:26 pm  · 
4  · 

Mouse on acid was hilarious.

Apr 12, 22 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

*Mickey Mouse on acid was hilarious.*

Apr 12, 22 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
proto

RIP, i guess (but i never found him funny)

Apr 12, 22 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I didn't originally think he was funny. ("Why does he yell everything?") It was similar with Norm Macdonald for me at first.  At some point, something clicked, and I found them both really hilarious (Norm much more so). RIP,GG

Apr 13, 22 1:14 am  · 
1  · 

An interesting fact: Gilbert's voice was only a stage act. His real voice was soothing and rather genteel.

Apr 13, 22 1:29 pm  · 
3  · 

Well it's Monday and I'm already ::blah::

Apr 18, 22 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Could be worse, you could be crowdsourcing very expensive adult decisions in online forums. We’re on day 4 of a house-wide gastro bug.

Apr 18, 22 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

Gastro bug - that sucks.

Then again, I've been a type 1 diabetic for 34 years . . . I'd rather be diabetic than have the flu.  :s

Apr 18, 22 5:45 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Just got the e-mail with the next dates for a training and certification that A) doesn't come around that often and B) I really need. It's on the same days that I will be doing a facility condition assessment on a remote island in Alaska.

Pardon me while I just scream for a little bit now...

Apr 19, 22 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

For those of you who use COMcheck to show performance based compliance with the IECC . . . 

You may have noticed that their is no 2021 IECC option to choose for the code to follow.  The work around is to use the ASHRAE 90.1-2019 for your energy code.  The ASHRAE standard is what the 2021 IECC uses for their metrics to determine compliance.    

I'm embarrassed it took me this long to figure this out.   

Apr 19, 22 6:49 pm  · 
2  · 

Popping in to say holy crap working again after two months away is exhausting. But itge work is totally feeding into my passions and I wake up every day ready to go. I made the right choice.

Apr 21, 22 11:18 am  · 
7  · 
Non Sequitur

Good stuff.

Apr 21, 22 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

btw, this wanker here runs a firm in your backyard (CHI) and is looking for advise to trap staff. Weirdest question I've seen pop in here in quite some time.

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Apr 21, 22 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

What is ITGE work Josh?

Apr 21, 22 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

NS - I think that's a troll post by someone trying slander the architect. That or the OP is the dumbest architect in the history of the world. I'm 50/50 on the whole thing.

Apr 21, 22 3:19 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

Did you switch jobs or just take 2 months off?

Apr 21, 22 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

Both, and I have no clue what itge work is. I blame my phone.

Apr 21, 22 4:54 pm  · 
1  · 

Damn it, I really wanted to know what ITGE was. ;)

Apr 21, 22 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
proto

It could be a thing? Or at least an archinect meme? Next which-school-for-me thread, someone should ask if OP has got their ITGE forms in order. If not, they need to contact NCARB or, failing that, DM rcz1001 for further documentation reqts.

Apr 22, 22 7:07 pm  · 
2  · 
gibbost

Josh, just read the article in this month's Architect magazine where they featured your story. Glad you are bringing attention to the work-life balance that is missing in the profession--and how you bravely found a new path to preserve it for yourself.

Apr 29, 22 2:23 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

I hope that post about violating the 13th amendment is a troll. But knowing some smaller firm owners I fear that is might not be.

Apr 21, 22 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

I'm 50/50 on it being a troll or being cultural misunderstanding. I posted over there but apparently its a real thing in India.

Apr 21, 22 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

The username dose correlate to a real person - an Indian man running a firm in the Chicago area. The IP address of the OP says they're in California. I'm highly suspect of that the OP in that thread is trolling.

Apr 22, 22 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Cannot imagine a thread I'd rather read less than the one where it appears Rick and jla are arguing with each other. Good luck with that one folks.

Apr 25, 22 11:59 am  · 
5  · 
SneakyPete

Why have bans if they don't get used on the most disruptive and least beneficial posters?

Apr 25, 22 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

What I don't understand is why the Big Green Head bans people but then lets them back under a different username. I would seriously like a response from Archinect why they allow this. At this point It appears that Archinect wants the drama to increase website traffic.

Apr 25, 22 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

There are many moderators here. Sometimes the same moderator will block, delete, then revive comments or users for various reasons. The "big green head" has only deleted spam accounts and comments in the last couple weeks, depriving you of various forms of essay writing assistance, voodoo spells, and forex advice.

Apr 25, 22 12:36 pm  · 
5  · 

That's not really an answer Architect

It' seems as if you're saying 'it's not us, it's the mods'. I thought you set the standards for the mods? Also aren't your mods volunteer? 

I do appreciate nuking the spammers though.

Apr 25, 22 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Can you send me the voodoo spells?

Apr 25, 22 1:25 pm  · 
2  · 
Archinect

Yes, all moderators are volunteers that have been invited, or accepted, to be moderators due to experience and activity in the forum. Each moderator is trusted to moderate as they seem fit, following our terms of service guidelines. If you're looking for specific reasons why a particular comment, or set of comments, have been moderated, it's unlikely we can give you that answer if we're unfamiliar with who moderated the comments and/or why. If you feel like any moderator has abused their control, feel free to send us details so we can review.

"At this point It appears that Archinect wants the drama to increase website traffic" - this is not at all true. 

Apr 25, 22 1:27 pm  · 
1  · 

Archinect - I don't feel any mod has abused their control of the forums. 

My question was - why are users who were banned allowed to come back under a different username?  These banned users have come back several times and it's obvious they are the same person.  Hell - they even admit to it.  If you deemed their previous behavior on the site to be worth banning why let them back on -  often on the same day?

Apr 25, 22 2:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Archinect

"why are users who were banned allowed to come back under a different username?" - examples?

Apr 25, 22 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

x-jla, tumbleweed, jawkeenmusic and rcz1001 are a few that come to mind.  I'm sure other users could provide you with a longer list. 

Apr 25, 22 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not aware that any of those Chad mentioned except for rcz1001 have been banned from the platform and allowed back on under a different name. Still, the question remains for at least rcz1001.

Apr 25, 22 3:18 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I would like to know why JLA hasn't been banned considering the disruptive and non-relevance of most of the shit they post. Other folks have been banned for less antagonism.

Apr 25, 22 3:22 pm  · 
1  · 

Concerning x-jla, there was one of the many threads where his comments were deleted and he appeared to be banned and came back under a couple of different names on that same thread. As I remember, several of us called him on it and then the whole thread was deleted.

Apr 25, 22 3:36 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

don't we all have at least one silly hobby? for some it's pretending an architect's online forum is a great place to drop their ill-informed brain thuds. Others collect stamps. I'm on the fence deciding which one of these 2 is the worst.

Apr 25, 22 3:49 pm  · 
2  · 
Archinect

x-jla, tumbleweed, jawkeenmusic... have never been banned. They've been blocked on a lot of threads. Maybe you're confusing a thread block from a universal ban?

If someone is banned, then they communicate to us that they understand the cause of the ban and would like to try to participate again under a new username, we'll give them another chance.

Regarding the question of specific users not getting banned, we're open to feedback. Seems like Thread Central is a good place to solicit thoughts. 

Apr 25, 22 4:26 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

I've given mine. When the overwhelming majority of a users posts have nothing to do with architecture and cause frustration and negativity instead of satisfaction and positivity, that's when I would prefer they get banned. Off topic discourse can be fun, stimulating, and important. With JLA, it never is.

Apr 25, 22 5:17 pm  · 
3  · 
Archinect

Maybe we should create a Supreme Court of Archinect, where troublesome members are put forth in front of a jury consisting of all members with more than a certain number of comments, to judge whether a member should be allowed to stay or be banned? The entire process could be automated, when a member receives a critical number of flags, the member is then restricted to the courtroom, where they can argue their case for the jury to decided with online vote.

Apr 25, 22 5:25 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Good call. Let me be the first to submit a design entry for the new Architect courthouse.

r/funny - Free Hugs

Apr 25, 22 5:32 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

Apr 25, 22 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

My suggestion: It seems to me that one could limit the number of comments in a row and the length of a comment. A wall of text and/or 3 or more comments in a row preclude any
intelligent conversation. In addition their could be an off topic button.

Apr 25, 22 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nice one Proto but I don’t think Paul has the budget for that much paint.

Apr 25, 22 6:08 pm  · 
1  · 

*there*

Apr 25, 22 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Archinect wrote: 

::sic::  "x-jla, tumbleweed, jawkeenmusic... have never been banned".  ::sic::

x-jla was JLA.  JLA was banned.  

tumbleweed in the few years I've been here he / she has had dozens of throw away accounts that have been banned - I can't recall them. 

I was incorrect about jawkeenmusic - I apologize. 

I like the idea that Archinect and Sneaky had.  I don't like the locations of the courthouse that proto and NS made . . .

Apr 25, 22 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I don't think it needs to be codified. I think Architect needs to decide what sort of forum they want. If you want a forum that has a friendly discourse, with interesting commentary, then bans need to be a tool used to fashion that. If you want to leave it the way it is, then do so. I have no interest in being part of a third party oversight in order to be able to claim there's a process to banning. It's a forum. You own it. You don't need us to be a kangaroo court. I dont poll my house guests when one of them goes on a racist tear. I kick the motherfucker out and do not welcome that individual back.

Apr 25, 22 6:41 pm  · 
2  · 
Archinect

There's one account with the username JLA; they aren't banned and don't seem to be related to x-jla. tumbleweed - no idea, we're unaware of any other usernames they have/had. It's very likely that users have been banned and created new accounts under the radar.

Apr 25, 22 6:42 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Jla-x or jla_x

Apr 25, 22 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

They've been banned. That you don't have a record of it is a bit concerning.

Apr 25, 22 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

There's a difference between having a record of it, and not feeling it necessary to spend the time looking for the records and documenting it all here ;) As also mentioned in the comment that is causing you concern , "It's very likely that users have been banned and created new accounts under the radar."

Apr 25, 22 6:54 pm  · 
SneakyPete

IP bans and the guts of people you trust to make them are what's required for a pleasant forum. Otherwise you will have a forum that's pleasant for exactly nobody.

Apr 25, 22 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Overall I think the message we're getting from Archinect is that it's not worth their time to monitor such things. That's fair - the forum is a very small part of the site and it probably doesn't make Archinect much money.

Moderating any forum is a tough job and can take a lot of time. 

Apr 26, 22 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It's their house. If they don't mind cleaning up after the guests shits everywhere that's their prerogative.

Apr 26, 22 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

That's correct. The thing is they really aren't cleaning up though. They're just telling us to ignore it. Nothing wrong with that. It's a tough job to moderate this forum. My only concern is that reputable users will get tired of this an leave. I waste enough time here yet manage to learn quite a bit from the majority of the users. The few loud trolls / racist a-holes make me question if I want to be associated with this site though.

Apr 26, 22 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Not at all. The forum is due for some big changes. We've made many visibly small but substantial changes over the (20+!) years we've been hosting the forum to keep up with the quickly evolving internet culture, and we're committed to continuing to improve the experience. When the forum launched in 1999, not very many people were online, social media didn't exist, blogs were barely a thing. Archinect was the ONLY place architects and designers from around the world could come together to communicate publicly. Since then social media has entered the picture, the internet population has dramatically increased, and the overall tone has gone from mostly productive and supportive to very often harsh and negative. 

If we didn't devote energy to the forum, and monitor the forum, it would completely fall apart. Providing a public forum is not easy; you're very much right, but the issue seems to be more about a general feeling that we're not moderating it enough. Conversely, we get a lot of harsh feedback from many people that think we moderate too strictly. Many users here don't see a lot of the content that gets deleted, and the users that get banned. Most don't realize that when we ban a long-time user we get flooded with hate mail from that user and every other person that sympathizes with that user, or cries about free speech rights. We agree we need to move the needle to nurture a community that we're proud of hosting. Some people will love these changes, others will hate them.

Apr 26, 22 1:29 pm  · 
5  · 
SneakyPete

I'm not trying to backseat drive. Do what you feel is right. I appreciate the interaction.

Apr 26, 22 1:42 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

Thanks archinect/paul for taking the time to connect in here and respond to commments/questions

i'm in another forum that takes pride in lack of moderation, but even that one has to ban users occasionally for sucking up the oxygen in the room. 

thanks to the mods here for volunteering for an admittedly thankless job

Apr 26, 22 1:46 pm  · 
3  · 

I really appreciate Archinet taking the time to have a conversation with us about the forum. 

Just to be clear - I'm not saying you need to moderate more.

What I'm saying is that when you ban someone you need to try and keep them banned. I know you say that people come in under different usernames but unless they're using a VPN or a spoof program to alter their IP this shouldn't be an issue.

Apr 26, 22 1:59 pm  · 
2  · 

I think part of the misunderstanding with users coming back after being "banned" under different names is that the site currently allows you to change your user name in your user settings. I think many times people go quiet, come back and change their name.

I don't think jla-x was ever banned from the site (threads? yes; site? no), but they did change their name to x-jla. They made a point of stating this at the time, and posting their self-imposed rules for participation like no posts longer than 2 sentences, but it's likely been lost in their sea of posts nuked since then.

There are a few users that seem to change names quite often. "FRaC" became "Wine CaveMAN" became "interpol" became "we're in this together" became "drums please, Fab?" ... all the same account, just changing their user name. In some ways I find this preferable (if name changes are to be allowed) because changing the name doesn't erase the bans or post history, it just makes it harder to understand if the user name you're responding to today is the same user name you might have been responding to 3 months ago on a different topic without digging into their post history.

Apr 26, 22 2:42 pm  · 
2  · 
midlander

i'll just chime in to support the general efforts of the moderators. certainly there are few or no good examples of platforms that successfully balance giving everyone a voice against people who want to shout nonsense everywhere. the majority of the problem is due to the varying standards each user has on what is obnoxious versus entertaining speech.

Apr 27, 22 4:45 am  · 
4  · 
Archinect

Bingo! Welcome to the extremely complex and nuanced world of forum hosting. Social media addressed this by letting people curate their own social circles, letting people choose who they communicate with. The result has led to more extreme opinions across the spectrum, and further cultural division.

Apr 27, 22 11:20 am  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

Having briefly moderated the Fine Homebuilding forum in the early 2000s when that was the biggest forum for construction professionals, I have a lot of empathy for what it takes to run a forum--it's thankless and frankly kinda sucks. If you haven't done it yourself, especially these days with so much negativity, I recommend giving it a try before criticizing too harshly. If I don't like what a poster is saying, I either respond, ignore or block them.

Those who obsess over evicting others are just as distracting, perhaps more so, then the offenders, in my opinion. I think the moderators here do a good job of balancing tricky situations. I'd rather err on the side of freedom than censorship, but trust them to do what's right for the site. 

May 1, 22 10:20 am  · 
5  · 

I’m finally watching Jodorowky’s Dune, which was recommended to me years ago. It’s so good. It’s so hard to make things!

Apr 29, 22 8:30 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Fantastic film!  And yes, a poignant illustration of idea v. execution.

We see that battle* all the time here on Archinect (and elsewhere): a fancy rendering and puffy paragraph promising some world-changing project.  Then reality comes calling.

* In no way do those proposals rise anywhere near to the heights of Jodorowsky's.

Apr 30, 22 2:46 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

For anyone who's interested... the truck cunts are back.

Live feed: https://www.twitch.tv/themayor...

There are so few restrictions left yet they are still there promoting their weird notions of freedom. 

Apr 29, 22 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I really enjoy spending 3 hours going through my increasingly long list of revit visibility-related settings trying to figure out where the door went.

May 2, 22 5:41 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

It's above or below the plan region someone put into the view.

May 2, 22 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

May 2, 22 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Pete - nope. Good guess, though. It was ultimately an issue with the door family. But only realized it after visibility settings whack-a-mole.

May 2, 22 8:03 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

You know the job market is getting ridiculous when recruiters start calling you directly at your job...

May 5, 22 1:33 pm  · 
3  · 

That's been happening to me for the last four years. It's gotten worse in the last six months.

May 5, 22 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I've gotten a few, as well as messages to my work e-mail.

May 5, 22 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Same here, I even copy/pasted the text here a few weeks back. So cringy.  So my April 5th comment above.

May 5, 22 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
proto

ask them what their cut is of your prospective new higher salary; i've always wondered

May 5, 22 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

With salary ranges from circa 2009...or maybe 1989 at this point.

May 5, 22 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

proto - a recruiter typically makes 10 - 15% of your salary.

May 5, 22 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
proto

wow, i would not have guessed that high -- so that's what's left on the table for what you may be worth to a company that you're not seeing...

May 5, 22 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

He Could've Had It All
Tron-Boy
May 6, 22 6:33 am  · 
 · 

You're just jealous. I'm not saying it's of this design mind you . . .

May 6, 22 11:22 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I would be, if I gave a crap about Ferraris.

May 6, 22 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
proto

paywalled article -- any access to the text?

May 6, 22 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Naw.

May 6, 22 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

So the difficult fire station project in a crusty mountain town has been killed.  The city council of the crusty mountain town decided to have the fire department use the 2021 IBC and IECC.  They also are requiring the building to be at least a LEED Silver.  

Did I mention that we're in CD's and the city code requires 2018 IBC / IECC and LEED Certified?  Yeah . . . .

The fire department decided to say 'no thanks' and are going to build the fire station outside the city limits.  The project will have to be redesigned and scaled down.  I'm concerned that the owner's rep will now just go with a series of metal buildings since there isn't any design review requirements outside the city.  

Bummer.  

May 9, 22 5:17 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Wait. The Fire Department, told the City Council, to pound sand?

May 9, 22 5:27 pm  · 
1  · 

Pretty much. 

Here is a short summary of the situation. 

Fire Dept: Hey city, our fire station is falling down. Could we get a new one? 

City: Get a bond passed and we’ll talk.

Fire Dept. : Passes Bond 

City: We want the fire station in the city limits please

Fire Dept. : Sure, we’ll need a bit more land though 

City: No problem! We’ll just annex some for you 

Fire Dept. Cool, we’ll get a building designed . . .

::Architects and Engineers work for five months to design a campus that meets the stringent and arbitrary city design standards:: 

At the annexation hearing . . . 

City council member: I want everything to be green and think the 2021 IECC and LEED Silver are the only and best way to do this.

City: What they said – make it so 

Fire Dept. Uh, ok we’ll try but at this point in the process it’s not going to be possible to meet everything . . . 

:: Architects, engineers, and fire department accomplish 90% of the new code and LEED requirements:: 

Fire Dept: We did our best and got nearly everything you wanted. If you see our reports the building actually performs better than LEED Silver and the 2021 IECC but we can’t get LEED Silver because of our rural location. 

City: F-off! Do it our way or no project 

Fire Dept.: Actually, the bond doesn’t say we have to have the building in the city. 

City: F-off – you do what we say! 

Fire Dept: POUND SAND.  We'll build this 1,000' up the road and not have to deal with you. 

May 9, 22 5:51 pm  · 
6  · 

I forgot to add that the city also asked for employee housing on the campus, thus why more land was needed. 

Needless to say that I'm a bit bored and rudderless at the moment. 

May 9, 22 6:05 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Great, concise summary, Chad. Painful to write, I'm sure, and so frustrating. One council member with an idea but no knowledge can cause a lot of trouble.

And, yeah, fire officials are a tough bunch to wrangle.

May 9, 22 7:38 pm  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sweet Jesus. First, LEED, is shit. Second, something tells me this ain't the end??

May 9, 22 8:11 pm  · 
2  · 

It is very painful. It's probably not over. This particular city is vindictive enough to try and impose their will in some other way. The fire department is already having their lawyers make sure the city can't make demands when the utilities are extended to the new site.

May 10, 22 10:00 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Some clients, are just that type of pain in the ass, that you just know no amount of money will make you whole. Others, make you believe that you are in the right business, helping people.

Today, I am dealing with the former.

May 10, 22 8:03 pm  · 
5  · 
Wood Guy

Sorry to hear that. I get stuck with those regularly. I have only recently realized that probably the biggest change I need to make in my practice is to weed out those types. Basically I'm going to start making clients apply to get on my waiting list. That may sound snobby but I just don't have the patience to deal with assholes anymore.

May 13, 22 7:32 pm  · 
8  · 
bowling_ball

This weekend was the re-start of renovations at my own home. Quickly remembered that working alone, despite me generally preferring that, takes a million times longer than having even one semi-competent helper. It also reminded me why I made the choice to go to university, so I wouldn't have to break my body doing crap renovations in a hot attic when I'd rather be doing just about anything else.

It's Miller time.

May 15, 22 10:35 pm  · 
4  · 

It's weird to have a lul in projects.  I know that in a week things will be normal again but it still feels weird.

May 18, 22 11:22 am  · 
1  · 

So I've been order-teered into the safety officer at my firm.  Now I need to come up with a safety plan.  

So far I've come up with:

1.  Don't be dumb

2.  Don't get hurt.  

May 18, 22 2:09 pm  · 
2  · 

Is "order-teered" the same as "voluntold" or is there a difference?

May 18, 22 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Like QC? Or inside the office?

Perhaps institute safety breaks at 4.20 every day?

May 18, 22 3:28 pm  · 
3  · 

EA - they are the same thing.

May 18, 22 3:29 pm  · 
1  · 

proto - this would literally be for keeping people safe from harm. So far I've come up the following that need polices to follow:

Fire

Personal Injury

Evacuation of office

COVID Infection

Active Shooter

Site Visits

Adverse Weather

Motor vehicle accident 

May 18, 22 3:31 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

{retracted}

May 18, 22 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe split "fire" into two; 1) building fire, and 2) wildfire. Wildfire might simply be similar to "evacuation of office" but with some important differences on what to do once outside the building and accounting for staff once clear of any danger.

Additionally, you might add "earthquake" to the list. You could get some resources and ideas from The Great Colorado ShakeOut: https://www.shakeout.org/colorado/index.html

May 18, 22 4:40 pm  · 
2  · 

Very good points EA! Thanks!

May 18, 22 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Look up what corporate safety officers are paid and if you're not already making more, then insist on a raise.

May 18, 22 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

"When TSHTF, GTFO!"

There - Safety Manual written.

May 18, 22 6:04 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm sorry, but who is on Karen Patrol?

May 18, 22 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

That's part of the active shooter response.

May 18, 22 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

atelier nobody - I make about 10% than the average corporate safety officer before profit sharing. ;)

May 18, 22 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm surry, but I need to speak with your manager!

May 18, 22 7:41 pm  · 
1  · 

They're out back in the alley next to the dumpster. I'll take you see them . . .

May 19, 22 10:11 am  · 
 · 

Chad, when I worked at the IMA we did “tabletop emergencies” where the Facilities, Security, and other departments sat around a table and talked through what we would do to protect people, art, and buildings during an emergency scenario. To keep it fun, we did some silly scenarios like “a tiger escapes from the zoo and breaks into the sculpture park to swim in the pond”. Some of them were serious, like active shooter scenarios. I enjoyed doing it, both making jokes AND noting seriously what the priorities were to communicate and act in various situations.

May 20, 22 4:37 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

What if the tiger is the active shooter?

May 20, 22 4:59 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

^ AND he's asking if he can update your samples binder. It just gets worse and worse!

May 20, 22 7:16 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

He's also a head hunter and wants to talk to you about an open Project Manager position at a highly respected firm in your city.

May 21, 22 1:30 am  · 
2  · 

I just finished reading the novel Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. If you are similar to my age, 55, and remember how terrifying AIDS was as a teenager in the 1980s I encourage you to read this novel. Sad and lovely.

May 22, 22 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

I was around eight years old in the 80's. I recall a lot of scared and ignorant people doing and saying abhorrent things when it came to those infected with HIV and AIDS. Truth be told that is what begin my skepticism and eventual disbelief in Christianity and god.

May 23, 22 12:04 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I'm the same age as Donna. What was weird was growing up right at the end of the "sexual revolution", when it seemed like everyone was boinking everyone just one class ahead of us in school, but then when we hit that age all of a sudden sex could kill you. When I was 16, I was a "Peer Educator" for Planned Parenthood so I probably knew as much as any layperson about the disease, and I can tell you that what we knew about it was damn little - a lot of what we were doing as "sex education" amounted to "always use condoms, or just don't have sex, or YOU WILL DIE, DIE, DIE!!!"

May 23, 22 1:49 pm  · 
2  · 

What bothered me was the response of some people who said that HIV and AIDS was a punishment for being _______ (insert something you don't like here).

May 23, 22 2:29 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Had another tornado hit our city last saturday.  Power infrastructure badly damaged and our neighbourhood (along with many others) is still the dark.  I've got a medium sized branched tangled in my powerline but it did not snap, so it kept the tree from hitting the house.  What-did-I miss other that your silly 2A rearing it's ugly head in the news again?

May 26, 22 9:08 am  · 
 · 

I punched a guy who was against any type of gun control when he said it was deeply hypocritical using the death of innocents to force your will on others knowing it won't solve anything.

Other than that it's been a slow week for me.  

May 26, 22 10:31 am  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Good guy with a fist.

May 26, 22 11:34 am  · 
2  · 

It's the only way to stop a dumbass with no empathy for the death of children. I also pissed of the guy a bit more by saying his comment means that he's for a woman's right to choose. He didn't like that and got a bit uppity.

May 26, 22 11:49 am  · 
6  · 
atelier nobody

Chad, I hope you punched him REALLY HARD.

May 26, 22 2:29 pm  · 
1  · 

Just a normal punch.

May 26, 22 3:34 pm  · 
1  ·  1

Thank you Chad. Every effort helps.

May 26, 22 11:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I’ve been practicing my punching last couple of days. Not sure who’s gonna get it.

May 27, 22 9:34 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Why would you ask an architecture forum for career advice in any other career?

May 26, 22 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
proto

architects be smart n stuff

May 26, 22 6:54 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Because we've seen what every other profession offers, figured we know what value is, and everyone else sucks.

May 26, 22 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

wE iz DA smurTes! DaT Y!

May 27, 22 9:31 am  · 
1  · 
proto

cuz

May 27, 22 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

those don't look like safety shoes.

May 27, 22 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Hospital shoes

May 27, 22 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
proto

safety cap toe

May 27, 22 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Wha gwarn thread central, what do you feel about parklets? 

Usually it's a parking space allocated to "public" spaces but here in Hackney, London its kind of like the equivalent of those private hotel beaches on the Cote d'Azur whereby the council put a sign on public street furniture that says it is public but in practice its extra table covers. 

Except, rather than the beach its occupying the pavement. 

Some residents are inconvenienced by those occupying space to drink Negroni's. Stroke victims going to get loo roll etc from the corner shop (store in US parlance) etc.

In terms of infrastructure the parklets are kind of crap as on my block fibre internet is being installed and the workpeople have done a really neat job in terms of chasing in (UK term for putting cable paths into channels) but around the parklet its got some terribly wonky infrastructure that'll be a puzzle for future archaeologists.

Cars can move out of the way for actual infrastructure.

I've no qualms with just putting tables on road.

May 27, 22 5:42 pm  · 
1  · 
nabrU

A couple of photos to illustrate the work:

Nice and clean, good work.

Wonky white people's Negroni cashless gentrification.

May 27, 22 6:11 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I'm not sure I see the relevance of bringing race into this?

May 31, 22 12:50 am  · 
 · 
nabrU

https://hackney.gov.uk/knowing-our-communities

Jun 7, 22 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Good To Know

May 30, 22 1:37 pm  · 
1  · 

I just heard a rumor that the AIA 2022 Conference keynote speaker is going to be Barack Obama. I wonder what Obama would think of the AIA’s stance on “hardening” schools?

May 31, 22 2:08 pm  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

I wonder what ever happened with attempting to crowdsource design of the Obama Library through "Arcbazar"???

Jun 1, 22 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Why would Obamas opinion or legacy be of any import? He had two terms what did he achieve? He did a good press correspondents dinner a couple of times to be fair. But aside from that?

Jun 7, 22 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Tonight's BS + Beer Show should be a fun one for anyone interested in alternative, low-carbon foundation systems:

FOUNDATION SYSTEMS
Thursday, June 2, 2022

6pm ET • 5pm CT • 4pm MT • 3pm PT

What foundation systems are today's leading practitioners using, and why? From helical piers and concrete-free slabs to ICFs, ICCFs, slab on grade, and permanent wood foundations, we will discuss the which systems are best for different situations. 

Please register in advance for The BS + Beer Show here:  https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_KnxdjKNiTdq0ngN6rKgMbw  

Our Guests this week:

Josh Salinger sits on the board of Passive House Northwest and works out of a converted 1930s passenger railcar as the CEO of Birdsmouth Design Build. He is based in Portland, OR.  

Steve DeMetrick is owner of DeMetrick Housewrights. He has been building houses since he graduated from Georgetown University in 1995. He worked for Habitat for Humanity in inner city Washington, DC as an AmeriCorps volunteer for two years, then moved back to Wakefield in 1998 and has been building and remodeling in his community ever since. He is a Certified Passive House Builder and built the first PHIUS Certified Passive House in the state. He is an active member of the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association and is an occasional contributor to the Journal of Light Construction and Fine Homebuilding magazines. He also served on the Board of Passive House Massachusetts.  

Lucas Johnson is a building scientist based in Tucson, AZ. He has spent two decades leading the charge toward building low-carbon, high-performance homes. Lucas holds degrees in physicochemical biology from UCLA and eco-entrepreneurship from UCSB. He is also a certified Passive House professional and a BPI Building Analyst. Lucas is co-owner of Vali Homes, where he enjoys collaborating with architects, engineers, and builders to make projects cost-effective, durable, healthy, green, and enjoyable. Prior to Vali Homes, he served as the Western Regional Manager at 475 High Performance Building Supply.  

Jun 2, 22 3:03 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

WG, was really going to try to make this one live but it's election night (provincial) and I won't be back in time. Will stream post.

Jun 2, 22 3:31 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You guys vote up there? I thought you just drove taps into maples, and decided who won based on which bucket got the most syrup?

Jun 2, 22 7:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

They’re keeping democracy alive for us Americans.

Jun 2, 22 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

I’m really thinking I have face blindness, because I look at the pics of the two guys on the right, in baseball hats, and I’m like: that’s the same guy, right?! I could not tell one of them from the other in a police line up, is what I’m saying. Put ten blonde female newscasters in front of me and it’d be the same thing.

Jun 3, 22 9:20 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Haha, they definitely look similar with hats on! Steve, on the left, Travis, one of our co-hosts, and I all have scruffy beards as well. At least Ben, another co-host, has a long beard and Emily is beardless.

Jun 3, 22 9:49 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

[Note to self: when ransacking Donna's place, wear generic baseball cap and don't shave.  This will be cheaper than the blond wig, makeup and newscaster outfit.  Act surprised when she posts about the theft.]

Jun 3, 22 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The Venn Diagram of some posting/lurking here is rather fascinating; They are pro fascists in the AIA, pro prisons, but aren't pro fascists in prisons. Kaww, Kaww.

Jun 2, 22 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I love the way the photographer incorporated people in these shots:

https://archinect.com/firms/project/150280494/art-maisonette-in-letn/150311896

Jun 3, 22 12:39 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Inventive and funny!

Jun 3, 22 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

"Detail-loving architects can turn timber from a material into a career"

Oh! All my life, I wanted to love me a detail.
Never gone too much beyond 2x4s and stuff.
timber! drywall said, come in,
I'll give you shelter from the dying forest

(blame vado retro on this one, Post History (106 total) Comment History (14733 total)

Jun 5, 22 8:48 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Read to the tune of this... obviously.

Jun 5, 22 10:32 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Sorry I missed this - I LOVES me some detailing. One of my bucket-list items is to learn Japanese joinery and try to translate it into details for CDs...

Jul 27, 22 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
proto

@wood guy, are Pretty Good House books getting close to shipping?

Jun 6, 22 4:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Yes, they are supposed to ship on or about 6/28. https://www.tauntonstore.com/pretty-good-house

Jun 6, 22 4:34 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: