Archinect
anchor

London Culture/Bars and maybe a barbecue.......

SpringFresh

So following on from the discussion about London Housing and NY bars- and to steal some of the limelight fron the LA/NY how about:

Londons new cultural/hotspots/advances. New discoveries and hidden favourites?

Favourite bars- There must be millions?

And since all the over the pond archinecters get sunny barbecues how about a big night out this side of the globe - all us mysterious people must have faces?

Feb 12, 06 6:29 pm
SpringFresh

Culture:
Bookshop browsing- I can't get enough
For architecture- the Triangle at the AA, Magma, And the one one in the whitechapel art gallery or tate modern. Also love browsing in the second and first hand ones in Bloomsbury, and all along Charring X road. Foyles has got a lot better recently.
Sir John Soan Museum and the Geffrye Museum.

I think we lack modern museums for visual culture....

BARS:
Endless pubs.
Covent Garden- La Perla/ The Porterhouse
Soho - Lots of Pubs - Thirst/The French House
Hoxton/Shoreditch - Jaguar/Lux/The Legion/Catch 22/T-Bar/Redchurch
more to follow....

Feb 12, 06 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i go to my locals....just went to 5 tonight[tour d'locals, halves at all]....one straight across from highpoint[think it was called the wrestlers, highpoint is the lebetkin icon, aka pegiun pond gurru]....very nice. one down the road from that packed with locals doing a sing along at 10:00 sunday night[think it was read lion and something]. anyone can go club'n -- very media, fake, dont like techno any how -- can be anywhere in the world.....i much prefer this side of london.

my face has been in a number of snaps already on the 'nect since v.2 up and running[i think 5 if i recall]. so i am certian i have a very familar mug. [a bit like scratch and sniff or highlights; 'whats wrong with this picture']

Feb 12, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i'm with ya all the way with the books. BUT - sooooo much cheaper on line sad to say. i graze at the shops and let my fingers do the walking at home ----

Feb 12, 06 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
_other_

WOW. you admit to ordering halves......i can safely say your local landlord makes fun of you when you leave.

Feb 12, 06 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
TED

well actually i didnt want to say - but i had full pints at the first 4 and decided i could only do a half at the last.....

Feb 13, 06 4:26 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

you must be gay or a lady to be drinking halves at any time!

Feb 13, 06 5:18 am  · 
 · 
grrrgrrr

Hope & Anchor - Upper street, highbury & islington...

Feb 13, 06 5:51 am  · 
 · 
job job

or from spain or france - it's all half pints there. something about lack of commitment I suspect

Feb 13, 06 6:01 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

it's not half pints there - it's all metric so it don't count. Now, steins of beer in Bavaria, that's drinking.

Feb 13, 06 6:21 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

The new Bavarian Beer Keller on City Road (on the left going from Old St. roundabout towards Angel). Has honeys in Heidi outfits, and those huge steins (they call them 'mas'). Authentic bench seating, german food, guaranteed to get ugly early.

Annex3 (Little Portland Street), new from the people who do Lounge Lover (Whitby Street).

For local drinking it's still 25 Canonbury Lane, or the Elk in the Woods, or in the centre any pub that sells Ayingerbrau (less than £2/pint)

Feb 13, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Cultural, and not alcohol fuelled:

The Museum of London (getting a lot of new funding lately)
The Crafts Council Gallery (on Pentonville Road, closing this summer)
Any of the commercial galleries on Cork Street

With Spring just around the corner, the river terrace at the back of Somerset House is calm in the west end.

The herb garden at the Geffrye Museum, probably doesn't open again until March/April.

Members room at the Tate Modern. Worth having.

Feb 13, 06 11:39 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Can anybody think of something both cultural and alcohol related????

Feb 13, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
job job

or slavish devotion to the SI (thanks BOTS - don't ask me to convert stone)

relaxed space:
floor 24 millbank tower after a certain crap bureau vacated*
pool bar on shoreditch sunday, drinking from noon**
table football at kick, with the bartenders monday night**
guanabara on drury lane only when you're ready for it***

*ali **puc ***mar

doberman - sneak booze into the whispering chamber, st paul's

Feb 13, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: