Archinect
anchor

traveling thru switzerland

jgeis

I am renting a car to go from Lugano up through Basel--I was wondering if anyone has any tips on buildings/places that I shouldn't miss.

More specifically, if you have details on lucerne and/or zurich, that would be a great help. Thanks a lot.

Feb 12, 06 11:07 am
ether

luzern culture and congress center by jean nouvel

Feb 12, 06 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

The above is OK, they wouldn't let me look around inside though.

Basel has that layed glass facade by Deiner and Deiner stil being constructed - worth a look.

Took a road trip into Europe and around Swizerland 2 weeks ago, lots of snow as you would expect - my pics.

timber bridge at lucerne

running out of road high in the mountains

image from the foothills

Feb 13, 06 5:16 am  · 
 · 
Ludwig

Well I guess you have to make a strategic decision. You have to cross either the San Bernardino Pass or the St Gothard Pass. The second option is the favoured route if you want go get to Basel quick as it is almost a straight line crossing diagonally across Switzerland.

However it seems to me that you have enough time to spend so if that is the case I think that the San Bernardino way offers more possibilities- But you will miss Luzern. Having said that here is my route:
In Lugano of course you can see plenty of Botta buildings, just outside of Lugano in the town of Rivera there is a cable car that takes you the mountain to the Santa Maria degli Angeli chapel. In Bellinzona do not miss the Castelgrande restoration by Galfetti, there are other buildings by this architect and some others by Botta as well, the city itself is very beautiful.
After crossing San Bernardino you will pass by Viamala (close to the ton of Thusis) Viamala has a very famous and impressive rock formation created by water erosion in that area you will find several amazing footbridges including Conzett's elegant Punt da Suransuns Footbridge.
Then you will arrive in Chur (Zumthor country) In this city visit the roman ruins shelter, the old people's home, the art museum and you can also go to the neighbouring village of Haldenstein and check out Zumthor's studio from the outside. But all is not Zumthor here. The Glass roof on the Bus station by Ian Ritchie's and the HTW school by Jüngling & Hagmann are worth visiting. Depending on your time you can detour to Flims -yellow house, Valerio Olgiatti, or go skiing. Another detour from here would be to go to Sumvitg, where you can find the Caplutta Sogn Benedetg. There are many more little detours this area is full of architecture. From Chur you have to go up to Landquart and from there you head towards Zurich. Buy white wine on the vineyards on the way. Zurich is a large city so you need a full architecture guide for it and of course from her you take the highway and you are in Basel in a few hours.

I wont describe the St Gothard route right now, just a little tip. as you leave Bellinzona you can pass by Giornico and see the little museum by Peter Markli -La Congiunta.
You can find info about some of the buildings I mentioned in Galinsky.com and also in 0lll.com

Feb 13, 06 7:22 am  · 
 · 
jgeis

ether, bots thanks a ton for the pics. Ludwig, i really appreciate your helpful itinerary. i will not miss the Castelgrande restoration by Galfetti, and will definitely consider your suggested route....

Feb 13, 06 8:20 am  · 
 · 
nvaladez

The tourist board of Ticino publishes a guide to architecture in the region in english. It has maps and photos of more great work then you'll have time to visit. You might be able to find out how to get it online or if you wander through Lugano you could probably find it somewhere. It's really a great guide.

I'd recommend cheching out Monte Carasso, a town under the watchful eye of Luigi Snozzi. Also Monte Tamaro.
I don't remember too mch in Lucerne just the Nouvel BLDG.

Feb 13, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
ScottMSchultz

go to the zumthor baths in vaals!!!! they were seriously awesome and its like 25 euros to get in and lounge in the pools all day.

Feb 14, 06 2:39 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

jgeis..try if you can take a peek into Mario Botta's office .
Its at via ciani in Lugano.
also he has lotsa works around that regions

Feb 14, 06 3:48 am  · 
 · 
jgeis

we'll see if i have enough time to go to vals. i may end up having to put off the san bernardino pass for another trip, since i'm on a tight schedule. but it seems like before heading north i will have lots to see in lugano, bellinzona and monte carasso. thanks.

Feb 15, 06 8:09 am  · 
 · 
Ludwig

Sorry jgeis, but there is no way to go to Vals without making a "massive" detour if you going from ticino towards Luzern.
You have to go up and turn east at Andermatt if you take the highway, another little bit more direct route is going towards Disentis from ticino. Either route you then go east and in Ilanz go South and use the suicidal curvy mountain road to Vals, and this takes a lot of time.

Feb 15, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
ScottMSchultz

awwww, the suicidal curvy roads are awesome!

Feb 15, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
ether

if it hasn't already been mentioned - jungfraujoch is worth a look.

Feb 15, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Surely there are more places worth visiting in Switzerland...
(my brother is planning a trip).

Feb 18, 06 1:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: