Archinect
anchor

Kurosawa v. Kubrick (K v.K)

Geo

I generally resist polarizing discussions in this way, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling with these two. I feel both have produced some of the most provocative films of the last 50 years. Any preferences out there (if any) in terms of films of either director? Feel free to add other fav' directors but I feel these two are still somewhere in the film Pantheon and intersted to know how peoples compare them and/or react to them.
later,
geo

Feb 11, 06 12:50 am
vado retro

well, they love me in france...

Feb 11, 06 6:06 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

although they both have certain similar characteristics - moody, languidly shot, punctuated with moments of hyper-activity, i find them so different as to defy comparison.

i enjoy both very much though...i recently watched rashomon for the first time in many years...every time is different. perhaps it's a cultural thing, but i find that i get kubrick more on the first viewing, whereas kurosawa's stuff takes me longer to work through.

on a totally different note - i recently watched all three sergios leone's collaborations with clint eastwood (fistfull of dollars, for a few dollars more, and the good the bad and the ugly)

i had seen them before, but never in a short time span (Over a week or so, and in order...) and by the time i got through the good, the bad and the ugly, i was loving every minute of it. what a great story of redemption, forgiveness, compassion, and understanding. i think those elements are often overlooked in the spaghetti western genre.

Feb 12, 06 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

its not the story, its Ennio Morricone's music... that's what makes them what they are.. those films without his soundtracks wouldn't be so memorable (like The Mission, Giu La Testa, and the others)..

Feb 12, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

oh god, don’t open up the whole Kurosawa vs. Kubrick debate. The last time I got into that one I was in this bar in Needles, Arizona and ended up in a knife fight with these there Hell’s Angles.

Feb 12, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Big Kuby fan, has his whole collection (minus AI which is debatable on if it's technically Kubrick).

Feb 13, 06 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

2001 A+
the rest B

Feb 13, 06 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
AlecBaldwin

shoes vs sandwich

Feb 13, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Philip Gentleman

film school vs. watching fox television

Feb 14, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: