Archinect
anchor

Thailand/Hong Kong architectural sightseeing?

urbanista

I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong and Thailand (likely just Bangkok and Phuket). I'd love to get in some architectual sightseeing while I'm there, but I'm having trouble finding cool, modern stuff to check out in Thailand. Any recommendations?

I've found some stuff that I want to see in Hong Kong--but I'm definitely open to more suggestions there, too.

Thanks!

Feb 9, 06 1:42 pm
Ms Beary

my brother-in-law just got back from Thailand, Laos, Camboida, etc. His pictures were incredible - of ruins, temples, etc, but no modern stuff. Those pictures make me want to go see the ruins, they looked fantastic. You have to ride busses out to the hinterlands though.

Feb 9, 06 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
bb8

if you go to Hk take the trip to Micau (i think thats the right spelling) it's a short ferry ride. you'll see some portuegese / modern inspired arc.

Feb 9, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
some person

urbanista, I did the exact same trip in 1998, with a side trip to Macau as bb8 suggests. Email me if you have specific questions. Here are a few random thoughts:

I found delight in collecting the three types of dollar bills - each has an image of the bank that issued it - Bank of Hong Kong and Shanghai (Norman Foster), Bank of China (IM Pei) are two of the three.

Take note of the bamboo scaffolding - it's quite impressive.

There's a Zaha project at The Peak, which you can access by cable car.

The Center building lights up with different colors at night - it's both tacky and mesmerizing at the same time.

Check out this month's issue of Metropolis - it has a good feature comparing the airport light rail in Hong Kong to New York's.

The urban plan of Macau surpasses it's architecture, in my opinion.

A lot more has been built since I visited - I hope you have a great trip!

Feb 9, 06 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
timpdx

I couldn't take my eyes off The Center's lighing scheme after a few drinks and a ride to Victoria Peak. Hong Kong Bank is the best (very close to Pei's Bank of China), Zaha wasn't done yet when I was there.

As for Bangkok, WOW, not so much for individual modern buildings, but for the overall city. Ride the Skytrain, in places the city works on 4! levels, for example, Skytrain level over pedestrian way, over elevated highway over street level. 100% Blade Runner.

From one of my fave photographers, Peter Bialobrzeski.

In the case of this photo, there must be places of 5 different operating levels, I forgot water.

Feb 9, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: