Archinect
anchor

Perhaps the most boring topic possible: Code Review

Rim Joist

Does anyone know of a really thorough code review "form" or "template" for IBC 2004? Does the AIA have one among its standard documents? (I had created about an 8-page one on my own at my previous employment, but it didn't make the trip to my new digs.) I'd appreciate any help.

Feb 9, 06 12:44 pm
3ifs

i made one for our office to use... you can't have it.

this is so bori... ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Feb 9, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

e-mail your best bud at the old firm and have them send it to you. as long as you are not in competition with them, they might give it to you.

Feb 9, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

IBC 2004? We just went to 2003- am I missing something?
For code review, "the architects portable Handbook has a fairly good outline you can follow- occupancy classification, occupancy loads, allowable area …. and the list goes on with references to the IBC 2003, I also use the illustrated 2003 building code handbook, good to read and see a pictorial explanations of some of the more complex code issues. good luck --- I do need a nap after this one-

Feb 9, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

YAAAWWWWWWNNNNNNN.....
Wha?....oh....
Sorry, Southpole -- it IS IBC 2003... I've got a glitch that I always call it 2004. So, no -- you're not missing anything. I'm sure you would have undoubtedly been invited to the big gala bash had a new version been introduced.
Anyway, thanks for the input. Also, I've not seen the illustrated version you've mentioned -- need to check that out, sounds helpful.
And, I need coffee.

Feb 10, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
A

There is a 2004 Florida Building Code. I've gotten confused and asked a plan reviewer if they are using the 2004 IBC. That's the problem with doing several projects in one state and then moving to another.

Feb 10, 06 9:50 am  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

most boring, maybe ... since we have a significant life-safety responsibility to the people who use our buildings, it's also among the most important things that we do

and we wonder why the public sometimes questions our value to society

Feb 11, 06 11:03 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah i am sure that the public gets jazzed about the number of required exits for the Mall of America...

Feb 11, 06 11:14 am  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

they do when there's a fire, or a bomb-scare, or an earthquake

Feb 11, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

they do when there's a fire, or a bomb-scare, or an earthquake

Feb 11, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
southpole

The reason we tent to find code review boring is not because it’s unimportant , I don’t thing that this particular issue was brought up at all, rather it’s because it’s a established procedure that takes part as a project takes shapes and progresses through the design process, it’s much like asking a doctor to take someone pulse, needless to say it’s important, but just a reminder, these codes establish just the MINIMAL requirements, most changes to the code are due to the lost of lives in a given situation. Therefore as an architect you should evaluate the situation and go beyond the code when appropriate.

Feb 11, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Yawn ... wake me up when its over...

Feb 12, 06 5:48 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

probably the victims of the e2 tragedy in chicago wouldnt have minded some code compliance...

Feb 12, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah but i bet the problem there wasn't lack of architect influence, but illegal construction or a building department's failure to follow through...

Feb 12, 06 9:32 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

all three sadly...

Feb 12, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: