Archinect
anchor

starchitect job or design job?

hyperbolical paraboloid

would you rather work for a starchitect in a well-paying non-architectural role--or be a design architect for less money for a small, good but unadventurous firm?

discuss, lol

Feb 9, 06 7:14 am
SuperHeavy

I laugh often and typically out loud. I'm not sure what about your post warrants even me to 'lol'.

Feb 9, 06 8:26 am  · 
 · 
A

I guess that depends on what the non-architectural role is.

If I could do CA work on some amazing star architect job for a year I'd do it just for the experience. I wouldn't go there just to detail out the toilet rooms or door jambs.

And what's with the un-adventerous firm? You get to design strip-malls and earn nothing? Maybe I would opt for detailing the toilet rooms on the famous buildings.

Feb 9, 06 8:59 am  · 
 · 
4arch

why does it have to be an either/or situation? there are other fish in the sea.

Feb 9, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
and/or

that's true. what about all the unadventurous starchitects?

Feb 9, 06 9:40 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

well paying starchitect...now that's funny.

Feb 9, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 

hey, they pay their personal assistants bank.

Feb 9, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
hyperbolical paraboloid

yeah like management
vs PrArch for hotel projects, etc- nice but not intellectually stimulating etc

Feb 9, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I guess it depends mostly on what you WANT to be doing, as well as other factos... If you think that the starchitect job will be more intellectually stimulating, and if it pays better than the other job, then those would seem to be points for the starchitect job.
But there could be other concerns: Why did the last person leave the job? What are the atmospheres of the offices in question like, and how does that work with your work preferences? How is the financial stability of the starchitect firm? How is employee turnover at both jobs? Morale? What are your long-term goals and how do these jobs fit in terms of your "5 year plan"?
Are you registered? If not, will the non-architecture management-type position allow you to fulfill any IDP needs that you may still have?

You aren't really giving much info. Also, it seems like your pots are expressing some preference toward the starchitect job.

Feb 9, 06 11:24 am  · 
 · 
garpike

"Well-paying" and "starchitect" don't go together.

Feb 9, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

i think this post is hysterical! i can't stop laughing. I work for a "starchitect", in an ARCHITECTURAL role as a project manager, but it is not "well paying".

Feb 9, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

rationalist, what is your definitin of bank?

I worked for a year at a starchitect and no one was making what I would call bank...except maybe the starchitect himself...that said, the projects you get to work on are a blast compared to some of teh more mundane project some smaller firms may get...but I don't think that generalization holds true for all small firms...I am sure many are working on fun and engaging projects...just not at the same programatic scale the starchitect firms are working on.

Feb 9, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

MickMack, I am laughing with you. Did you start on the ground floor before getting that ARCHITECTURAL role? Maybe in the mail room?

Feb 9, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbolical paraboloid

architectural roles are NOT well paying, i agree

Feb 9, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

So be the janitor?

Feb 9, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

yes.
be an adventurous janitor.
and get bank

Feb 9, 06 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbolical paraboloid

it's not a lowly job. did you even read my posts? apparently not.

Feb 9, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbolical paraboloid

i guess you didn't read correctly. it's not a lowly job.

Feb 9, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
anti

I just like it when everyone says
"get bank"

Feb 9, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
MickMack

garpike...glad i am not the only one...maybe not mailroom...but how about "Sweets Organizer". awful!

(but...i do love my job: fun people, fun project, lots of responsibility...its fun to come to work every day and that says a lot)

Feb 9, 06 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

If you are working for a serious starchitect every role is considered an architectural role, it really depends on the specific office and the rigor by which the work is produced researched and detailed. I has the opportunity to work for starchitect out of school and it was the methodology by which projects were designed, researched and assemble that to this day it's how I work. I’ve also work in other firms non-star like to which each project is a ticket to a fee and it must be moved much like a short order cook would, got paid really well, but I could do it. I guess it’s all how your are taught.

Feb 9, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbolical paraboloid

thanks to those who contributed some useful perspective to my question--southpole, formerlyunknown, A--my choice is between a design job (not starchitect) and a management job. as i'm sure you know, larger offices have several management jobs that are not considered architectural--just a few that come to mind are business manager, practice manager, personal manager.

Feb 11, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

def other fish in the sea.

i was slightly well paid to be project architect and do design in "slightly interesting but bound to be quite interesting some day" type of firm, and absolutely every day on the job was a serious blast.

not lawyer money but enough to live in zone II in london. the idea is to stay with the up and coming place till you and they make enough to live in zone I...

of course it didn't work out that way for me, but still...it could. ;-)

you couldn't pay me enough to be a manager in a starchitect office. it would be like torture to have to watch on the sidelines.

Feb 11, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

You know I have only had design jobs, and it did wonders for me professionally advancing through the ranks quite easily. However looking back it would have been nice to work with one of the NY5 or London's finest. Hmm

Feb 12, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 
hyperbolical paraboloid

jump--what if there was an opportunity to get involved in a few projects on a conceptual level, working with the starchitect more or less directly?

Feb 12, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

yeah i was thinking that while writing...and it might work, but might be a long shot...

i remember an add for rem a few years back looking for a personal secretary or something similar and it said explicitly NO DESIGNERS NEED APPLY. so i have a sneaking suspicion it could backfire...

i suppose if that sort of involvement were decided before taking the job it could be good, but who knows... is the starchitect willing to work things that way...?

Feb 12, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
e909

you'll laugh or else i'll post again

Feb 19, 06 2:33 am  · 
 · 
e909

too late. mwahahahahhhhhaaaa

Feb 19, 06 2:33 am  · 
 · 
e909

the only reason to work for a starchy is to slay all by doing design one of those rare design (project) opportunities that usually are given only to starchys.

Feb 19, 06 2:55 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I am working for a krappy Rchitect (they don't deserve the std capital 'A'....or even an 'a'). They pay well, but I've gotta live in a place that Mad Max would call comfortable, dodge Shaka-Zulu's revenge & deal w/ wankers from around the world. At least I know how to call someone a 'wanker' in Portuguese, now.

Someday, I hope that a *-chitect will notice my great sacrifices & let me
detail some generator rooms & loading docks......or I could just keep this up for a couple more years, retire, design/build my own 'krap' & not worry about what *-chitects think.

Feb 19, 06 3:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: