Archinect
anchor

Borderless printing from AutoCAD

Living in Gin

Objective: To print borderless pages directly from AutoCAD 2006 for a new-and-improved portfolio.

I need to print them both to PDF format and to my Epson R200 printer. In the print properties of Acrobat I can set the margins to 0.0", and my printer supports borderless printing. In both cases I'm printing standard 8.5"x11" pages.

However, no matter how I set things up in my page setups or printer properties, AutoCAD seems to want to insert a roughly 1/8" margin around all the pages, regardless of what I do.

Is there some way to override this so that I can get truly borderless pages? The only alternative will be to print to 11"x17" and then physically trim down each page. Yuck.

Thanks in advance...

Feb 8, 06 5:22 pm
pencrush

Can you not just size the page to be an 1/8" larger all around, and then have it print on the paper? (i.e. fooling autocad into thinking it's printing on larger paper than it actually is...)

Feb 8, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Hmm... That probably wouldn't help me with the PDF's, but it might work for the Epson. I'll have to experiment with that approach when I get home.

Any other ideas or suggestions in the meantime would be most welcome...

Feb 8, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Most "borderless" - capeable printers need to have the borderless option selected somewhere in the print properties. On my canon I have to go properties>page setup and enable the borderless option.

the canon also has settings for the amount of overprint. if the r200 has something similar, you might just have it set too low.

according to the website, the r200 only does borderless on

* 4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10", letter, panoramic

paper sizes. so make sure the paper size is set to letter in the print dialog.

I'd also suggest just printing the PDFs from acrobat.

Feb 8, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

i don't print borderless from autocad so this might be wrong, but i have done the following to get the full sheet export to a digital (eps) file...

when you go to the page setup window and then properties of the printer there is an option called modify standard paper sized (printable area). pick the A4 sheet and set the boundaries to 0 for each margin. then try the full bleed print...

I have not tried doing a full bleed print direct from AC for these drawings as they are for the contractor or the client and it isn't required...when i wanna do fancy graphics i print to eps for further play in in-design or illustrator...maybe easier for you to do the same...

Feb 8, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Print on 11x17 and cut it down to size to get the bleed effect.

Feb 8, 06 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

Better question - why are you printing any portfolio pages from Autocad?

Feb 8, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

i would just open the .dwg file in illustrator and print them off from there. i'm sure illustrator has more printer options?

Feb 8, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

manamana:

This is indeed the setup on my Epson, and I had already gone in an selected the "borderless" option on the printer properties. (It works fine from MS-Word, so I know it's not a printer issue.)

Others:

Well, I don't have Illustrator and I don't know Illustrator, so that's a minor issue...

I do my layouts directly in AutoCAD because I find that it gives me very precise control over lineweights and positioning... Not to mention that almost all of my drawings are in DWG format, so there's no need to deal with messy conversion processes. With the ability to attach raster images, use true colors, and add gradient hatches on the newer releases, there isn't much I can't do in terms of graphic design with AutoCAD.... Except print borderless sheets, apparently.

Feb 8, 06 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

did you try resetting the papersize in the printer setup like i mentioned above?

Feb 8, 06 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I did it!

From the Plot menu, select your plot device, and hit "Properties"

Under the heading "User-Defined Paper Sizes & Calibration", click "Modify Standard Paper Sizes (Printable Area)".

Select the appropriate paper size, hit "Modify", and then set all values to zero.

Hit Okay, and AutoCAD will prompt you to save the modified printer settings to a new PC3 file. Do it, and print away.

For PDF's, you're all set. For hard copies, make sure the printer is set to print borderless sheets before printing either from Acrobat or directly from AutoCAD.

I have discovered, however, that my printer cartridges are in desperate need of replacement. :(

Feb 8, 06 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

see, wuddai tell you?

Feb 8, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Saturn

Print to the post script level 1 in your autocad printers and open the eps file in photoshop. Then make the paper size the exact width and height, make it look like the way you want it and print without using the "scale to fit" button pressed.

Feb 18, 06 12:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: