Archinect
anchor

post you worst injury caused by modelbuilding

softcell

i just burnt myself a little on the foam cutter.....so post your worst or silliest injuries you had building models......is possible with a pic.........let the splattershow begin....

Feb 7, 06 10:20 am
ochona

sorry, no pic, it was 1997. my freshman year of arch.school, maybe around 4.30 AM. i was making a cardboard model on the floor of our studio. i had set the flat end of my xacto knife in a big crack in the hardwood floor. a couple minutes later i stood up and sat back down.

on the business end of the xacto knife.

i was like, oh my, i seem to have sat upon my knife, i shall now require a tetanus shot. but i was so punchy there was little pain. i went downstairs, washed off the wound with hot water, made a bandage out of sun-glo tracing paper and drafting tape, and kept on building.

Feb 7, 06 10:30 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

well. I was cutting with the xacto-specifcally trimming a piece to fit on my model. I am not sure how it happened, but the blade endede up deep into my thumb-on the top side past where my nail ends. I was cupping blood all the way to the bathroom as people kinda watched in disgust.
After that, I came back to the studio and had a vagal response and almost passed out. I had to sit on the floor for a while until the dizziness stopped. Although it was a small stab, I lost a good bit of blood.

Feb 7, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Once I broke a girl's model by accident...I think I hurt her feelings...

Feb 7, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

i cut about a 1/4" dia. piece OFF of the end of my pointer finger 2nd year. Wrapped it up with paper towles and tape and finished the model. The bloodspots all over it had a nice effect.

Feb 7, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

This one time my pride was injured.

Feb 7, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sliced through the earphones cord to my Walkman about 10 hours before presentation. That severely damaged my enthusiasm for finishing the project - tuneless.

Feb 7, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ouch, lb! No music for the home stretch is rough!

Feb 7, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

But potentially not as eternally resonant as wounded pride...

Feb 7, 06 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Damaged electronic gadgetry, cut fingers, and hurt feelings.

Combat ready, I'd say.

Feb 7, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yeah Rim Joist - we're all tough guys here on archinect.

Feb 7, 06 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Not me, but I saw a studio mate nod off while operating the bandsaw... Results weren't good - lots of stitches and didn't even finish his project.

Feb 7, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Murrye

i've got a good one.. i'm actually a legend at my school now, they tell my story to first year students to scare them.

so, when i was in first year, at about 2am i was stupidly using a triangle as a guide while cutting foamcore with an exacto knife. it slipped and sliced across the joint on my left index finger, requiring a trip to the ER and about seven stitches. i went back and studied for a few more hours for a physics test, got a couple of hours of sleep and took the test.

in studio that afternoon i was exhausted, but i hurried to finish that same foam core model. as delirious as i was, i cut myself AGAIN, this time on the thumb. my professor insisted i go to the ER, AGAIN, and I got five more stitches. I was still wearing the admittance bracelet from my first trip. yes, that's two trips to the ER in less than 12 hours.

Feb 7, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
ericr

the guy next to me once was using cyanoacrilate to make a model. when it wouldn't come out, he of course looked into the bottle- down the plastic cone- to see what was wrong. needless to say, at that point the glue came out. he held his eye open while someone drove him to the hospital.

it was 3am, they flushed it with saline for two hours, and he returned for the 8am review.

Feb 7, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

so we were throwing used exacto blades into the ceiling of our studio, or try to. sometimes they were not sticking and falling to the ground. Dean, the ever studios person he is was hunched over working on a final drawing for a crit we had in a couple days. on overzealous exacto tosser whipped the exacto into the ceiling, only to have the exacto blade lose its grip in the ceiling and come crashing back to earth. instead of falling into a desk o the tile floor this particular exacto blade choose the back of deans head to aim its sharp finely honed point. as we all cringed and stood speechless the exacto blade plummeted in slow motion toward the skull of our fair classmate. upon landing gracefully and lodging itself into the rear of deans cranium a loud blood curdling scream was heard throughout the halls of our fine architecture school.
after cleaning the blood and tears off of deans final drawings we decided that tossing ever so gently exacto blades into the ceiling was not a good idea. dean did make it back from the hospital to finish his drawings. he was pretty delusional the rest of the week, but i was OK.

Feb 7, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
ross

eric r: I am that guy. where've you been?

I actually thoughtt about posting that story, but decided to wait.

for the record the glue actually came out when I attempted to cut the tip off the bottle for the 3rd or 4th time, and it was about 4 hours worth of saline at the emergency room.

I'm not proud.

Feb 7, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

When I was in 4th year, a freshman kid was making a model in school woodshop, and his finger got slipped into jointer. I was told that he lost two fingers completely. As you know, it's a jointer; whatever you put in, it gets shredded.
btw, what's up with people getting passed out when they cut themselves? I don't get it. Even some big dudes got passed out with tiny exacto cut.

Feb 7, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
whitllam

My proudest moment came about 3AM one morning during my freshman studio course. When trying to carve away at a dowel rod, the x-acto blade slipped and lodged right in the side of my left ring finger at the lower knuckle. Blood everywhere on my model, but i still have a cool scar and scar tissue to show for the event.

: Chicks dig scars :

Feb 7, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
mlee

I was standing up next to my desk, hacking away at my model when the knife slipped and lodged itself into my stomach, all the way down to the handle. Lucky I have a little fat there, about another 1/8" and it would have gone through my stomach lining and would have required surgery. Check out the pic of the scar 6 months later: http://daapspace3.daap.uc.edu/~leem1/scar.jpg

Feb 7, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
mlee

I was standing up next to my desk, hacking away at my model when the knife slipped and lodged itself into my stomach, all the way down to the handle. Lucky I have a little fat there, about another 1/8" and it would have gone through my stomach lining and would have required surgery. Check out the pic of the scar 6 months later: http://daapspace3.daap.uc.edu/~leem1/scar.jpg I have a hospital slip that says I received an abdominal stab wound.

Feb 7, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
upside

sanded 5mm of the tip of my ring finger on a circular bench sander, was tired and tried sanding on the wrong side of the disk, which sucked my hand around and into the paper. bloody mess almost to the bone, lost the nail. this was the night before folio due. i went to college for a shower and learnt a valuble lesson, raw flesh under high preassure hot water cuts your legs out from under you like nothig else.

Feb 7, 06 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
timpdx

Mine is another x-acto story. Ever had your finger cauterized? I didn't think such pain was possible, 10X worse than the cut. Aren't doctors supposed to give you something for that, like the dentist does?

Feb 7, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

Mine was working on a big model!!!

This happened while framing a house:

Feb 7, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

fulcrum: it's called Vasovagal syncope (vagal response) - caused by low heart rate and blood pressure, leading to inadequate circulation. The reduced oxygen supply to the brain results in syncope, or temporary loss of consciousness. Individuals usually regain consciousness within a few minutes and their prognosis is good, although the syncope has a tendency to recur.

Feb 8, 06 1:50 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

thanks, mjh00c... but you see, I would understand if someone get passed out after some massive blood loss, like during car accident or combat, but I've seen quite a few people got passed out by not much more than 1/4"(even smaller) surface cut (after losing couple drops of blood). I guess I'm not that sensitive person... sorry if I have offended some people with this syndrome...

Feb 8, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Murrye

yeah i noticed the same thing, some people pass out if only for a few seconds from a not so serious cut. i never even felt faint, if anything adrenaline was pumping... i guess everyone reacts differently.

Feb 8, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Stabbed my hand cutting towards me (freshman year, i was an idiot) through some tough foam with an Olfa blade. I was holding the foam in my lap trying to shape it. Very stupid, very painful, and the wound wouldn't stop bleeding all night. A survivalist friend of mine bandaged me up, but the wound didn't really close up for about 36 hrs, I was still bleeding a little the next day. I still have the scar. I will never buy that kind of foam again.

Feb 8, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

In 9th grade art class this guy stole my eraser. When I reached to get it back, he wasn't thinking and turned. My nose made contact with the X-acto chisel he was holding. I felt the impact and said "You jerk." It didn't hurt because the blade was so sharp. Then his face turned white as I proceeded to gush blood. The teacher made me get a pass to go to the nurse. I had to go to the plastic surgeon and get 6 stitches. I still have a small scar. That thumb is nasty.

Feb 8, 06 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

As a shop monkey I saw some people cut fingers on band saws, sand off finger tips and get the wind knocked out of them by kick backs off the table saw. None of it was ever that serious, no lost fingers or massive blood loss. But since I taught some of the shop safety classes I always had to restrain myself from saying, "I know I told you not to do that!" The shop master was a more zen kind of guy and always said, "Approach the machine with humility." (During the safety classes, not after someone got injured. He would just say, "Oh my!" after a cut.)

Overall I would say that we are lucky to be working at 1/16"=1', I shudder to think of all those exact-o slices on my fingertips would be like if they were at "full scale." Here's to fully insured GC's!

Check the video out for this table saw. Absolutely no hot dogs were hurt during the making of this video

Feb 9, 06 12:39 am  · 
 · 
jh

i never had any blood loss, but i did burn the shit out of my arm welding. first time tig welding stainless steel. i would always wear a t-shirt when i welded - summers in st. louis suck and welding with a leather jacket didn't really appeal to me. anyhow, i got a great sunburn on the bicep of my arm. turned kind of a purple hue. hurt like a bitch and seven years later still have a weird "scar" on my arm. but i did have a sweet farmer's tan for about a month - on one arm.

Feb 9, 06 3:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Not model-making, but when I learned to develop film and photographs in the studio darkroom I was really sloppy, sticking my bare hands right in the solution, etc. I had been up for 28 hours straight or so, within a few hours of finishing I had a terrible itchy rashy reaction, went to the emergency room where they gave me a shot to stop the itching - well I guess I had a vagal response because I instantly turned bright yellow and passed out. Wierd.

Also two good friends got pretty severely sick from breathing in fumes while welding copper without proper breathing equipment.

Studio work is dangerous!

Feb 9, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 

i never had any real significant injuries...a few slices of an xacto...and i once accidentally picked up the hot end of a soldering iron...

i also witnessed someone that dropped his xacto knife and instinctually tried to catch it as it fell...the butt end of the knife landed on his thigh and he impaled the meaty part of his palm on the blade...he then held up his hand with the xacto dangling...blood dripped everywhere as he ran into the bathroom...lost a lot of blood...passed out...went the ER...returned to studio a few hours later.

Feb 9, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

not graduating because i spent too much time on my senior thesis model and didnt have any drawings for the final crit...model did have working light fixtures, however

Feb 9, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Summer 1976. Cut off some of my left thumb with a utility knife while making a chipboard model (my first architectural job). Went to ER, got skin graft (from my left ring finger). The doctor (a plastic surgeon) asked if I knew Philip Johnson's Glass House after I told him I was studying architecture. "Sorry, but I can't say that it's one of my favorites."

Feb 9, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Somehow I managed to make it through school with not a single scratch... not one slip of the xacto, ever. I'm still boggled by that. BUT, quondam's story reminds me of one of my own.

A few years back I went to see a new dentist that was recommended to me. He was young, only a few years older than I, and must have felt chummy because he began very awkwardly chatting. After asking me what I do, he said: "Oh! I used to want to be an architect... (drill drill drill)... ... but then... I decided it was too... (drill drill)... boring... (drill drill) so I became a dentist instead. They're very similar! In school I had to make all these models of each tooth..."

I was horrified.

Feb 9, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
LimitedPromos

Injury 1...

Cut my finger while chipping blue foam out of a plaster mold with a utility knife open. (Idiot)

Injury 2...

I had a habit of throwing blades around my work station after use. When I went to pick up all the scrap pieces on my table I managed to crumple a piece of paper with a blade inside. (Bigger idiot)

What I learned from all of this...

dont make anymore models...I have since mastered Maya and have put down my exacto blade.

Feb 9, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
jh

sorry to have to say this, but thinking that learning maya will replace physical model making might be the worst injury i have heard about so far. are you the same guy that does flash presentations instead of drawing? for christ sakes you are/want to be a fucking architect. had to rant.

Feb 9, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

Not an architecture project but an art project for which my friend convinced me to let him make a plaster cast of my legs.
Thought enough vaseline would kep it from sticking.
Wrong.
Spent three hours is a bathtub slowly ripping off chunks of plaster and the embedded hair.
Friend left after an hour to go to a party with his girlfriend.
I think I cried.

Feb 9, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I think the worst injury I ever received from exactos was when i put a box of blades in my bag and the tape came off, spilling all 50 blades into the bottom of my bag unbeknownst to me. So I'm getting on the subway and go to swing my bag from behind me and catch a hand full of super sharp blades poking out every which way. I notice that I'm bleeding after the doors close and it's rush hour so everyone is packed into the car and kind of startled by this kid with a bloody hand. I'm sure it looked much worse than it was, I don't think I even needed a band aid, but I was given a little more space on that ride in to school than I normally would.

Feb 10, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

Night before review, building model cutting chipboard. Xacto slips off of ruler cuts off a bit of the tip of my middle finger. Rather bloody, but not too bad so i wrap it up, and after most of the bleeding stops i go to cut the chipboard again. I'm holding the ruler down a little different, ring finger replacing middle finger. First cut blade slips off in same exact place, and cuts deep into my ring finger into the nail. At review next day reviewer asks, "is that blood?" pointing at a smudge on the model. "Yes" i respond. He looks up at me and says very disaprovingly " you should really clean that up before you present the model."

Also, a few posts above remind me off a few times recently when people, after hearing i am an architect, reply i know someone who does that, or my father does that. Everytime after i ask oh they are an architect, thinking maybe i know who they are, the response is no they are a civil engineer....

Feb 10, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This is so lame I have to post it if I can stop laughing! I was just now using an exacto to sharpen a lipliner pencil (yeah, I know - I can't find the sharpener.). Finished up, grabbed the clear plastic lid to the exacto and jammed it on the blade but oops! That was actually the clear plastic lid to the *lipliner*, which is thin plastic that the blade sliced right through and then stabbed into my finger! Drew a tiny drop of blood too. Ouch, what a dope!

Feb 10, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I picked up a still plugged in soldiering iron. That hurt. Left my finger prints in a nice white outline across the metal.

Feb 10, 06 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

that saw from the video is pure genious. i thought it was a faked video supporting how strong a hot dog can be when infused with adamantium by secret government agencies equipped with long hidden alien technologies from blargon 7, but i went on to read about the saws safety features, and must say i am impressed.

Feb 10, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

And it looks like a really nice cabinet saw to boot! There was a piece on NPR with the inventor(s) a while back and when they shopped the idea around to the major manufactures they all balked at it. It had something to do with class action lawsuits by people with nicknames like "lefty."

Seriously though, I think anyone who's ever spent an afternoon in the ER waiting to get stitches will see the financial benefit in these saws.

don't want to hijack the thread, continue with the carnage!

Feb 11, 06 12:23 am  · 
 · 
Manther

This didn't happen to me but I was a witness.

My buddy was cutting trimming about a two inch strip off of a sheet of plywood with a jigsaw. Holding the jigsaw with his right hand and obviously not thinking, he placed his left hand around the edge of the plywood that he was cutting in order to steady the board. As the jigsaw moved down the wood, the hand he was using to steady the board remained in the same place. When the blade and his left hand met on the underside of the plywood, the site was not a pretty one. I would compare it to a cross between fingers and hamburger meat.
He walked out of the e.r. a few hours later with a zigzag set of stiches on the fingers he was lucky to still have. He didn't go back to studio that night.

Feb 11, 06 1:56 am  · 
 · 
Mission St.

is it just my perception, or are most of these injuries related to sleep-deprivation?

mission st keeps your ass out of the emergency room with this wisdom:

when doing an all-nighter, build the model first (while you're relatively awake), then do the drawings. the mouse (or pen) is way less sharp than the x-acto or olfa.

never use a big olfa where an x-acto will do (smaller blades make smaller holes in your body).

if you're cutting thin material with an x-acto, put tape on the part of the blade that's not being used (leave just the tip exposed). when your knife inevitably jumps over the ruler edge and whacks into your hand you'll be able to laugh and keep working instead of screaming and wiping blood off your model.

if you're really tired: put the sharp things down, turn off the table saw, unplug the hot glue gun, and get some fuckin' rest. an hour on the couch beats an hour in the ER any day.

Feb 11, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

guy in the studio across the hall pulled what online did except with 2 fingernails with an xacto, after 80 hours of waking hell. missed the crit being at the hospital.

Feb 12, 06 9:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: