Archinect
anchor

jobs and liveability

scottyvalentine

Hello all,

I would like to start a discussion on jobs and liveability. This is more so aimed at students, as the pressure to fit work, life and study into a small period of time really can determine how you live. I am also doing this for more selfish reasons as well. I would like to find out if it is possible for me to move to another city to work for a year or so and still be able to live on my own means. My interest lies in either Dubai, NYC, or Chicago.

I will start this by telling my story. I live in Brisbane, where the architectural community is very close, that is, the latest Hoff email in your inbox can be traced to pretty much from every firm in the city, along with all the law firms, Marketing firms, etc.. Brisbane is pretty much a small city in Australia with a continuing high rate of job growth; I am lead to believe the highest in Australia. At the moment there are shortages of people in EVERY field from Health, Construction, Education even pizza delivery boys and girls. This has all lead to high demand for all kinds of people including us student. I am in my early 20s and through 2/3 of my 6 years at university and I am paid enough to own my own smallish yet comfortable apartment in the middle of the city, near my work, uni and basically everything I could ever need. This comes at a price as I work a great number of hours as well as go uni 26 weeks of the year. Sleep becomes something that is earned rather than needed.

I guess what I am looking for in this discussion is your story. And what is a normal year for you. I'm lead to believe in places like NYC and Shanghai that an 18hr day is expected. Is this really the case? I am also told that a ”˜normal' university course for architecture is full time 5 days a week and work is not an option. I am basically after a perspective of how every other Student Architect lives their lives as I myself (and I would assume other people who are reading this forum) have never travelled far beyond my home town to experience the world beyond. And given the internet and in particular this site reaches out to so many in this world, I don't see why it wouldn't be a great forum to see what happens city to city. I guess you could call this an extention of the sallary poll.

Thanks

Scott

Feb 4, 06 10:57 am
scottyvalentine

-

Feb 9, 06 7:46 am  · 
 · 
anza

scotty v

during my studies i worked and lived in ann arbor, michigan. i had a crazy schedule but i enjoyed it because i found studio work engaging and stimulating. i never counted the hours i worked on my own stuff but i know there were many hours and nights... i was typically working 15-20 hours for pay and the rest was devoted to studio and my courses.

when i graduated, i moved to nyc and worked there. when i worked for others i did mind being at the office for 10 and 12 hours a day because the way i saw it, the work was not mine. it was always controled by someone else and the freedoms were much tougher to earn in terms of designing etc. after four year of nyc i left and intended to return to ann arbor to find my previous life, again. well, i found it to be impossible to find any work with firms there and realized that once you are out of school you need to find a job that gives you enough time outside of work, so that you can explore your own interests. that, to me, is of most importance. but, if your interest is to see the world and to explore you should do it while you are young and have more mobility. if you moved to new york, be prepared to work long hours but also to experience a new world full of excitement. know that you may never be able to return and find your cozy apartment or your connections that you have now. know, that each price has its pay. in terms of leaving something comfortable, you should know that you are leaving because you are ready to learn new things and expand your horizons. to me, that is the most penetrating way to learn about my environment. i move and move, a gypsy through and through... at some point, i probably will find the need to settle but i feel that when you are young you can take these risks to accumulate a broad base of experiences that will eventually funnel into your work.

Feb 9, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Firms vary widely. I have worked in firms in NYC and other cities in which putting in anything less than 12 hours per day, 6 days per week minimum, would get you branded as a lazy slacker, and most people were working 7 days per week, often to all hours of the night. But I've also worked in firms in NYC and other cities where 8 to 9 hours per day, 5 days per week is more the norm. Some even had "summer hours" (9-hour days, with every Friday afternoon off.)
As for school: again it depends on what school, but it's hard to think of any where working part-time would be completely impossible. Working fulltime would be another story though, as most architecture schools I'm familiar with have inflexible schedules and require students to be in studio for somwhere between 3 and 7 hours for 3 or 4 days per week. My schools did have required courses that fell on all five weekdays, and in a couple of semesters I had required courses that were in the evening or on Saturdays. In all cases my hours per week spent in required class time were between 28 and 36 - so it isn't exactly a fulltime commitment, but on the other hand most people spend at least that much time working on their projects in the studio outside of class time. I was always able to work part-time, but it does require flexible employers and a lot of energy on the student's part.

Feb 9, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i'll switch with you -- you can come here to austin (university of texas + working) and i'll go rake in the A$ down in queensland

sweet.

Feb 9, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
A

Yeah, I'll swap you too. Here in Minneapolis you can get your MArch and I have never heard of a local firm running a sweatshop demanding 12+/hr days. Pay also isn't too bad here compared to cost of living. So, come on over...I'm going down under to work.

Feb 9, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
scottyvalentine

Thanks for your responses guys. an interesting idea, a life swap... NO a 'stand in scott'. I take someone’s job and apartment for a year and they take mine. could work. Beyond that, nice advice guys. I'll have a think about what you have said an get back to you.

Cheers

Scott

Feb 9, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
A

I do like the idea of an architect-exchange. A good friend of mine who is in the millitary did an officer exchange and spent a few months in England. He raves about it. Would be interesting to switch it up like that for architects. Work on some designs in Australia. You can take my place and work on designs all over the USA. You ok with traveling a lot while here? I do have to visit Atlanta next week.

Feb 10, 06 8:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: