Archinect
anchor

Internship in Europe (Break into the EU)

notone-co

I am currently on the hunt for a sixth-month stint in Europe starting in March. Focusing my search to Dublin and London.

Does any one have any leads or ideas for me on some places I could look at? Even if they are outside of my focus.

I already have six portfolios and multiple resumes in the mix, but I would like to hear if anyone had anything for me.

Feb 2, 06 1:28 pm
blaster

One major suggestion is start right now. Britain is very slow to hiring and all of their procedures take forever. It is not a bad idea to shoot for the large firms like Fosters, as they might have suggestions if they are currently not hiring. And I definitely would not send a protfolio trans atlantic unless you feel you have contacts at the offices. Its just not worth it. Check links of the RCA, the Bartlett, or the AA for good offices perhaps.

From afar, I would search online and send some well written email inquiries. (I am an american living and going to school in Britain). Good luck -- sorry I know nothing about Dublin.

Feb 2, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

'Britain is very slow to hiring and all of their procedures take forever'
????
I guess you mean getting a working visa from abroad for non EU residents is time-consuming. well taht's probably true but isn't that the case in any other country? Last time i checked the US was not making it particularly easy for overseas job applicants to break into the american job market. Other than that there are no particular procedures that burden the hiring process in the UK. If you get called by an office for an interview and they like you then you'll be offered a job, pretty standard procedure if you ask me. But you will probably need to get through a lot of administrative bullshit to get a working permit as an American (which assume you are)

Feb 2, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
TED

oh yeah, the us has now even made it harder to travel as a tourist, if you have an eu passport and dont have the special bar code or chip in your passport [and i know if your from france you dont!] you now have to get a visa [that 150 sterling in the uk plus the wonderful travel to the embasy]

if your an eu person traveling to the us on holiday and think you can do the eu visa waiver program -- check the us customs website [i think as of the 1st of the year] for this special us format passport - especially if you have an older passport.

i have a canadian mate [married to a brit] who was interviewed on a friday and started on monday. to say its a british thing to have a slow employment arrangement is just bs - particularly if you are comming as an intern with little experience - they most likely will have you start that day if it wasnt for the visa thing.

you should do an archinect search as there are lots of similar threads talking about the same processes.

Feb 2, 06 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: