Archinect
anchor

Getiing back into architecture - next steps?

queretaro

I'm wanting to get back into architecture and am trying to figure out my best next steps for the following fall.  (My hsuband's granting me a year off to fingure things out :) I haven't learned any architectural software and don't have ayn recent portfolio work.  I receieved my BA in architecture from UC Berkeley in 1994. Although I have not worked in an architecture firm, I've used my architectural background in both accessibility and transportation planning.  I'm currently working as an elementary school teacher.  Starting this summer, I plan to take classes in architecture either from West Valley JC (CAD, building technologies, sustainable design, etc), or from UCB extension, and want to find an internship in an architectural firm. Any recommendations for finding an internship for someone who's been out of the profession for some time?

Dec 28, 11 11:39 pm

Stick with teaching.

Dec 29, 11 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
sulidae12

Its tough times in the architecture field right now.

People who have professional arch degrees, substantive, consistent professional experience and all the latest software skills are having trouble finding employment. 

Really consider sticking with teaching. 

Suggestions to help you on your decision path:

Go to UC Berkeley in person and talk to their program coordinator and any professors and students you can find to get an honest answer with regards to how much the profession has changed since you graduated almost 20 years ago. Ask if there are alumni that are working and contactable that you could speak with regarding their professional experiences.  Ask if there are alumni who have not been able to get a job and ask to speak with them. Especially ask to speak with them. Make sure you speak with people 1,3, 5, 10, 20 years into the profession. 

Go to the UCB spring final reviews. Go to as many as you can to see how much the graphics and technology have changed in the past 20 years. Talk to people before and after the crits. 

If you don't learn new software easily and enjoy learning new software quickly on your own, definitely stick with teaching. Standard vanilla software used in the industry today: Adobe CS5 for graphics layout, CAD/Revit/ArchiCAD for 3d modeling & documentation, Rhino (grasshopper), Sketchup for 3d modeing, vray / 3dmax for rendering, ecotect for environmental analysis (plus dozens more depending on your fancy....) 

Other ideas you can do while teaching:

1. Put the money you earn for a year teaching towards a great kitchen remodel, the ultimate urban chicken coop or backyard landscaping project that you design and implement. This can be an incredibly rewarding, learning opportunity and may expand your ideas of how to develop a career/life path that has opportunities for design engagement. 

2. Put the money you earn for a year of teaching towards taking your husband on a kick-ass vacation that goes to your dream architecture destinations. 

3. Consider a certificate interior design or landscaping program with strong ties to the professional community and that focuses on getting people into viable professional positions. Taking computer classes at a local JC is not going to cut it. I really mean that. Learning computer programs in an isolated environment, outside of the profession and/or studio will be a waste of time. If you can't teach yourself the required computer programs and you don't pick up computer programs quickly, you are going to find it very, very difficult to get back into the profession in a substantive way.

Check out your local Habitat for Humanity, the Solar Energy International based out of Colorado, Solar Living Institute in California for workshops and learning/volunteer opportunities that might spark your interest in an architecture related field. There are also tons of opportunities in California to participate in strawbale home raising, solar panel installations, permaculture workshops, etc....

Good luck,

Dec 30, 11 3:51 am  · 
 · 
outthere

The job market in general is pretty tough ...I have a friend who is a teacher and having a hard time finding full time work

1. Keep teaching as a back up plan... and learn what you can during the summers

2. Figure out what you want to do in Architecture ...are you more interested in being a design architect ...or more of a technical architect???  ...if design architect ...then there are alot of programs like Rhino / Grashopper / Photoshop / Indesign / Revit / 3D Studio Max / Etc. that you may need to learn... Also the problem with learning these programs is that who knows if the office you begin to work for even has these programs?? ..so it becomes a waist. ...If technical architect ..then learn ACAD and Revit ...Revit is really gaining traction in this industry ..so this is very important to learn ...Revit can also be used to design

3.  After that .. find an internship ...Employers look for Professional Experience <---VERY IMPORTANT ...school can teach the basics of the programs but if you havent used them in the real world then its useless to them..

good luck

Dec 30, 11 10:24 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Why didn't you go into architecture after you graduated in '94? 

The best skill, is the ability to quickly learn - If you can prove that to employers, then you will stand a chance - as it is, you put yourself at the end of a very long line - to really get up to speed on current sense where architecture is and going,  I would seriously consider a M.Arch from Berkeley CCA, or AAU to really seriously re-immerse yourself into architecture - believe me, you don't want to end up as a deer caught in the headlights in this current situation -  you will get killed and you have no one to blame but yourself fro making a stupid decision. Don't tempt the fates - go back to school at Cal or CCA, learn Revit, Grasshopper, Rhino, MAX, Indesign, Ecotech and get an internship, and then in 3 years or so when the economy improves you might stand a chance. 

Dec 30, 11 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
golgol

Hey! What happened ?? Have you started a program in architecture again? Let me know about your progress. I think the comments above were a little too harsh!! You have a year without worrying about money and there are a lot of things you can do and learn. We architects love to make a big deal out of everything. You could self study revit and get an internship and learn a lot!! Good luck and please update us on your progress!!

Mar 31, 12 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: