Archinect
anchor

move to great white north

ellie

As many make the mass exodus from the grand ol' US, I am also thinking of making a move - to CANADA!

Thinking of TO - any thoughts from those currently working or those who have their own practise. How's the arch. community / culture?

Have worked in Chicago, London,uk - thinking of opening own office.

Would appreciate any thoughts -

Jan 29, 06 5:22 pm
ochona

uh, what exodus is that?

link

notice that they say that the 300 millionth american might likely be someone, um, coming here from our southern neighbor

Jan 30, 06 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

of course here i am going to sweden to buy a volvo and see if my wife really likes sverige as much as she thinks she might so...

Jan 30, 06 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
A

Huh, mass exodus? And I live with someone who made the mass exodus from Canada to the USA.

By all means there is a lot of opportunity up there, but can we all just let go of this "I hate my gov't so I'm moving to Canada" crap.

Jan 30, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Try the west coast, not sure of the state of things in TO but the west coast is smoking busy!

Jan 30, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

for now.

let's see what happens when the work from les olympique dries up.

Jan 30, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Calgary, might be the place to think about.....Kinda the Wild West of Canada. They have this stuff there called, Oil Sand. It apparently is going to be the USA life line if we don't get our act together. I'm sure it will see a great deal of growth, new money, new ideas. It would be a good place for a young adventurer not afraid of the cold.

Jan 30, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Ferd... I guess you weren't around after Expo 86 either because ever since then it has a busy place. Pre Expo it was busy too. and about a year after it got even busier. I expect the same, its a very liveble city as polls have shown I expect when the word gets out and pictures to boot there will be an increased interest in being hear... a little global warming wouldn't hurt the Vancouver climate either.

Jan 30, 06 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

whistler- are you hiring?

Jan 30, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

lets go catch an expos game!!!

Jan 30, 06 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Tiny.....we aren't at the moment but always looking. Have two large projects which we are negotiating on, either one would trigger a need for more help.

If your interested stay in touch.

Jan 30, 06 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

a few of my cousins are working on the oil sands already. very good money, but not for architects...

not to dis calgary but the most interesting work seems to be round TO and montreal, or Vancouver. the patkaus and busby are perhaps the leading cool(-ish) firms in van, while montreal has saucier and perrotte, etc.

not sure if the culture supports that kind of work once you leave the centers (of course i could be wrong as i haven't really lived in canada for awhile now, but i am watching the work my old classmates are doing and location def makes a difference)...

Jan 30, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
A

Well, Foster is in Calgary. Although Calgary doesn't have the arch scene Toronto has, they do have growth, which equals work. Oil & gas should remain a vital industry for quite some time which will equal huge cash flow for work in Alberta. You don't need to work up near the actual oil sands since all the companies are based in Calgary that's where the money is.

It's not really that cold in Calgary and it never gets all that hot either. Additionally the city is seated right up against the rockies and is a short drive away from Banff and other beautiful recreation areas. Cost of living there hasn't gotten too crazy yet and is far more affordable than Toronto or Vancouver.

Jan 31, 06 9:35 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

whistler- definintely-will be looking for summer work-still in school-but I love Whistler! Keep me posted.

Jan 31, 06 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

why settle for canada? why not move here and you can be where you really want to be...FRANCE.

http://www.grandcolombier.com/

Jan 31, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
G-bot

I haven't noticed the slightest little blip from the Olympics so far. the firm I work at has been consistantly busy since I started working with them about 5 years ago. Non Stop. . . .. . the only thing that will stop it is a collapse in the realestate market

Jan 31, 06 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: