Archinect
anchor

Hindsight

realia

Name one thing you wish you had known when you left school.

Jan 27, 06 7:57 pm
garpike

That you should spend any extra loan money while in school. Give it back!

Jan 27, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
TWINE

you mean that you shouldn't, garpike?

oopsie... *coughs at last year's newegg order*

Jan 27, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Yes, shouldn't.

One should not own 8 guitars while in school.

Jan 27, 06 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
TWINE

I am doomed, that is all I have to say. I look forward to living under a bridge - maybe I can go to Southside LA where no one will notice if I start remodeling it.

Jan 27, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
comb

people skills and political skills are every bit as important to success as design skills ... i hate it, but it's true

Jan 27, 06 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

meggi, I'll split rent with you under that bridge.

Jan 27, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

How to remember the name of every person I meet, especially every person involved in the jobs I'm working on. Still can't do it, but getting better.

Jan 27, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh man that is a good one, lb. Everytime I walk into a group of people I tell my self "remember their names, remember their names" and I never do. Never. I even try that trick where you say their name 3 times back to them, but that gets tough:

"Kevin? Nice to meet you Kevin."

"Nice talking to you Kevin."

Jan 27, 06 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

as much as you'd hate to admit it as truth...the ever-cliched "networking" is more important that i (and many of my colleagues) would ever admit...sadly, it's a skill i've picked up having known many-a business major...and it certainly applies to our field as much as any other. it's something that started revealing itself as i approached thesis, and faculty relationships became ever-more significant...it's not you, friends, it's your goddamn network!

Jan 27, 06 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

it's names not faces but i know faces not names...it's a left//right brain ordeal i'm not equipped to handle...

Jan 27, 06 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Yes. I feel you there. Damn faces. I can recall faces all day, but that's like saying "I know that word!" in a spelling bee.

Jan 27, 06 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

fuck the pressure that you imagine while you're in school.

This is paramount.

your thesis/last year. THE LAST PROJECT while in school is nothing less than important, but too often it becomes an exercise in self-defiance...trust yourself and forget about precedents, and resist the urge to be intimidated by those who came before. realize that the contemporary will always have the potential to mean more than everything that came before. sure, it's naive, but every statement/design/action has to be current and meaningful within its context, so realize your immediacy and your necessity, and understand and respect your predecessors but DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE ENSLAVED OR NEUTRALIZED OR ENCUMBERED BY THEM!

Jan 27, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

fuck the pressure that you imagine while you're in school.

This is paramount.

your thesis/last year. THE LAST PROJECT while in school is nothing less than important, but too often it becomes an exercise in self-defiance...trust yourself and forget about precedents, and resist the urge to be intimidated by those who came before. realize that the contemporary will always have the potential to mean more than everything that came before. sure, it's naive, but every statement/design/action has to be current and meaningful within its context, so realize your immediacy and your necessity, and understand and respect your predecessors but DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE ENSLAVED OR NEUTRALIZED OR ENCUMBERED BY THEM!

Jan 27, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

shit, apologies for the redunda-post.

in retrospect, more important that the previous ideological message,

the student loans are so much more important! they reap a savage toll upon those who lack the affluent family members to foot even a 'public school's' bill...the six months' grace lasts only so long....usually six months or so..."caveat-retardo-loan-ee", i believe is the latin for this predicament....

Jan 27, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

i can't resist re-posting, as i am shitfaced and this is a juicy topic indeed....

...don't allow yourself to be betrayed by the presumed virtues of executing your work by hand! myself, and many others found themselves the victims of their own handicraft after renouncing such modern technologies as CAD and FormZ/VIZ in trying to justify their theses...

...presentation is so much more important than i ever realized.

Jan 27, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
skunst

where to go

Feb 3, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i wish i had paid more attention in structures and had worked in construction during my summers...would have saved a lot of time.

Feb 3, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

no regrets...

Feb 4, 06 1:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: