Archinect
anchor

DC Archinerds Unite!

SuperBeatledud

Calling all DC Archinect users!

It's been a few weeks since I've arrived in DC for my co-op. I was thinking it be cool to do a happy hour or full bar hop with some of you DC natives. Helps all of us get to know one another better. This weekend is probably too early (although I'm game). What's your thoughts?

Jan 27, 06 3:25 pm
WonderK

You know the other Andy was just there. Had I realized it, I would have given you his phone number. He's kinda lame though.

Jan 27, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Good idea, beatledud. Perhaps we could plan something after the Predock lecture at the NBM on Saturday, February 11th.

Jan 27, 06 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

That could work. I didn't see the lecture for that day though. Wanted to go to Greening the Built Environment in Response to Climate Change lecture on Feb 9 though.

Jan 28, 06 11:39 am  · 
 · 
some person

Spotlight on Design
Antoine Predock, FAIA
2006 AIA Gold Medal Winner
Saturday, February 11
4:00–5:30 pm
The works of architect Antoine Predock, FAIA, respond in many ways to both the natural and the cultural landscapes in which they are built. Recipient of the 2006 American Institute of Architects Gold Medal, the internationally acclaimed architect draws inspiration from the elemental, historical, and mythical forces of a site. In this exclusive appearance, the Albuquerque, New Mexico-based architect will discuss his award-winning work.

Following the lecture, Predock and Robert Ivy, FAIA, editor-in-chief of Architectural Record magazine, will discuss the designer’s philosophy and projects, including the Shadow House in Santa Fe; the Flint RiverQuarium in Albany, Georgia, and the San Diego Padres baseball stadium. After his lecture, he will sign copies of his books. This program is co-presented with the American Architectural Foundation (AAF) and the American Institute of Architects. •1.5 CEU

$15 Museum, AAF, and AIA members; $20 nonmembers; $10 students. Prepaid registration required.

National Building Museum

Jan 28, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

So what? DCA and I are the only ones up for a DC meetup? That's pretty weak!

Feb 1, 06 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

well we could just do a seperate meetup

Feb 4, 06 1:28 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

sure thing

Feb 10, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

im in the DC area. holler.

Feb 10, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

if any of you all are interested, I'm an architect in DC who also DJ's once a week at Tabaq on U Street (www.tabaqdc.com). To be quite honest, I don't go out many other nights, so Tuesday is my day to be out and relax.

It's laid back, no cover charge and I'm there from 8ish - 12ish each and every Tuesday. I play everything from deep house and disco to old school soul, afro-beat, brazilian samba, or whatever else I feel like.

You all are more than willing to make it a meetup spot if you would like. I could guarantee you I'd make it then! ;)

Feb 13, 06 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Gravitas

Did anyone go to the Predock lecture? Have any comments? I was out of town.

Feb 13, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Predock spoke to a full house, despite the wintry conditions outside. He was as entertaining and inspirational as everyone had led me to believe. He enjoyed wearing his AIA Medal of Honor that he had received the night before.

I especially admired how he gave credit in the form of digital portraits to his staff who worked on his project - many of them were in the audience. Head's up to all of you - he also mentioned that he's currently hiring - for all three of his offices, I think.

I bought his (c) 2000 book before the lecture but couldn't bear to wait in the long line to get it signed afterwards.

Moshe Safdie is on Thursday - I'm really looking forward to his lecture.

Feb 13, 06 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

So I heard...I'm leaving for NYC early Friday morning, I'll let u know if I decide to go though.

Feb 14, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Gravitas

I would really like to go to the Moshe Safdie lecture but I fear I may need to work that night. Let's hope not.

Feb 14, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: