Archinect
anchor

2006 US News 'most and least rewarding careers'

swisscardlite
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/articles/060105/5bestcareers.htm

what's your opinion on this? personally i think what's rewarding is such a subjective opinion it isn't fair to rank them. there are so many jobs ranked in the 'excellent careers' i could never stand doing.

architect btw was ranked as a 'fair career'

sure there are many architects who don't necessarily like their jobs but there are a lot who love their jobs as well.

Jan 26, 06 2:28 am
knock

well, i think that it would help if they did their research before placing a comment like: "many architects in firms must spend years designing building components, such as the heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning system"

Jan 26, 06 4:34 am  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

"...years designing building components, such as the heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning system?"... people really get to DO that? SERIOUSLY? WHEN CAN I START???!!!???!!!!

Jan 26, 06 6:26 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Fair! That is great news!!!

Aren't "we" usually at the bottom of these lists along with miners?

Jan 26, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 

apparently landscape architects have 'excellent' careers because they can start doing complete projects sooner...

Jan 26, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

"Police salaries are generally excellent, often reaching six figures in major cities. "

Jan 26, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

and what is this book: 'Architect? A Candid Guide to the Profession' by Roger Lewis

Jan 26, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
e

i love being an architect.

Jan 26, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
e

roger lewis was a prof at my school. what a joke.

Jan 26, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

what school?

Jan 26, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
e

UofMD.

Jan 26, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
e

UofMD.

Jan 26, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

sorry for the double post.

Jan 26, 06 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

5, there seems to be a lot of mention of doing less school work in that article. Is the author efficient or lazy? Or are we stupid?

Jan 26, 06 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

it might be more aimed at people thinking of changing carreers, in which case 5-7 years of school is a big drawback.

Jan 26, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

True, mana. That is what is odd about this article. Who is it really intended for? The high school student? The if-I-could-go-back folks?

Jan 26, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

it's pure filler, imho. just to get the rag off the racks and sell ads. the author at one points says something like "i know someone who blah blah blah" in the lawyer section. non-journalism, non-research. (s)he read a couple of bls stats and talked to (his)her friends

Jan 26, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I agree. There seems to be little real investigation going on. And the article is so poorly organized.

"2006 US News Poorest Article"

Jan 26, 06 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

I think in occupational reviews such as this, writers are almost obligated to throw in "architect" as the caricaturistic crappy job and ultimate exercise in futility... we and everyone on the outside seems to understand that image...the brevity of the piece seems to admit that image and not much else.

at least the author gave heed to the wide and complex world of "designing building components", ranging all the from H and V, to A/C!...(i'm sure that splitting up the acronym help him get to 3,000 words) so everything else we do certainly must be limited to a complete and autonomously-designed building. a brilliantly shallow (and misguided) article.

Jan 26, 06 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: