Archinect
anchor

Blade-runner

Nevermore

Someone gave me this movie DVD last nite...telling me its an cult classic in the architecture fraternity ( ???? )

well its an old movie (1982).. directed by Ridley Scott, Starring Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer etc

Its a futuristic sci-fi/philosophy movie,it shows a dysfunctional authoritarian ruled Los angeles in the year 2019.

I couldnt understand the plot in some places, it gets rather slow at times ..but nice music and spectacular art and set direction..worth alone for the graphics and theme design.

I recommend it.

Jan 25, 06 2:34 am
el jeffe

is that you antoine?

Jan 25, 06 2:36 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Beg your pardon sir ? @ el jeffe

Jan 25, 06 2:38 am  · 
 · 
job job

thanks for the recommendation antoine......

did you know that form follows function? it's true

Jan 25, 06 6:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

glad u liked it replicant...

Jan 25, 06 6:25 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

man am i getting old or what?

Jan 25, 06 7:20 am  · 
 · 
Geo

copy that beta, I'm troubled 1982 films are now considered "old", my AARP card has not arrived yet so I must still be viewed as "kinda" young

Jan 25, 06 7:43 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

VADO ..whos that chick ?..your dream date ?

Jan 25, 06 7:56 am  · 
 · 
French

she was in the movie "splash". You should rent it, it's great.

Jan 25, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I was 2 when that movie came out. I did like that movie though. Pretty much timeless, like Alien. Ridley Scott is good. Although there were times when it was very 80's. The music actually made me laugh most times. And the acting was often silly. But right, sets, art direction etc, awesome. Looked more real than anything Lucas makes. I hate Lucas. HACK

Jan 25, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Blade Runner (the director's cut, mind you) is probably my all-time favorite movie... The music, the story, and especially the art direction are all incredible.

In addition to the fascinating portrayal of 21st-Century urban streetscapes, at least two architectural landmarks play a prominent role in the movie: A Frank Lloyd Wright house (I forget the name) is Deckard's residence, and the historic Bradbury Building is the setting for the climatic fight/chase between Deckard and Roy Batty.

Jan 25, 06 10:19 am  · 
 · 
simples

i thought Blade Runner was mainstream knowledge;

now, THX1138 was recently re-released on DVD; great film...

Jan 25, 06 10:20 am  · 
 · 
simples

and i am not a fan of Lucas' either...THX1138 was one of his first films, and in my opinion, by far the best film he's ever done;

Jan 25, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh my god, where's my walker. I need it to toddle across the room and get my bifocals so I can finish hand-drafting this design for my retirement home.

Blade Runner is, um, a pretty important movie in terms of contemporary visual culture - I'd venture it's more than just a "cult classic". But that's my Alzheimer's-demented opinion talking, of course.

Jan 25, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 
job job

seriously, have you been in a coma not to have even heard of bladerunner?

are you the same guy who just recently realized that you're one of abra's fave archinecters?

are you a unicorn?

Jan 25, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

very funny snowi

...Im not really a movie person ..more a music lover.......and besides the movie came out when i was 3 yrs old ok.

so i think I may be excused for that.

by the way

1) I have a DVD ( a live concert recording ) of the black sabbath /ozzy osbourne concert where ozzy osbourne gives the bass drum to the audience, while they crap, piss and vomit in it and he bathes in that mixture on stage ,before biting the head of a dead bat.

2)..I have "the wall" by Pink floyd.(not the music album ..im talking of the banned movie ..mind you )......and i got it when i was 10yrs. all the way ,far back in the 80's when it was not easily available.

I bet you dont have either !
ha !

Jan 25, 06 11:12 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

woooo - just got back from my gerontologist.
did i miss anything?
back in my day dystopia was a dream; dysfunctional was a TRS-80.

Jan 25, 06 11:15 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

the Wall? the movie right? with Bob Geldof? full of animation and bombs, and other crazy shit? nope, never saw it. it was banned? where? when? i think saw that pic in like 81 or 83....

Jan 25, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

hey nevermore, there was this movie from the late 60's, it featured live music, mud, people naked, brown acid, wavy gravy, some black guy who played the guitar left handed at the end, and ooo, ooo, sha-na-na was in it, what was the name of that film again?

Jan 25, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

christ - i just found out paul mccartney was in a band before wings!
i think this stuff is rotting my brain...

Jan 25, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
job job

i've fallen and i can't get up!

Jan 25, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Arer you joking? The Wall was among the first videotapes (and then among the first DVD's) I ever purchased. It can be found in any video store.

Ozzy bathing in vomit and biting the head off a live bat? Why would I want to own such footage?

Jan 25, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Wow! Even I feel old!!!

Jan 25, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I remember seeing Blade Runner in theaters. One of my fav films and the soundtrack is fantastic.

The Wall was great...at least what I can remember

Jan 25, 06 11:30 am  · 
 · 
garpike

This thread reminds me of when my cousin, now 26, told my grandma all about this new dance thing called "Swing dancing". I think she fell out of her chair laughing.

Jan 25, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

yea trace...The Wall was excellent..i loveee the part when he shaves off his eyebrows.

Jan 25, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Trivia note: The original members of Pink Floyd were all architecture students before they got into the music business.

· 
brian buchalski

does blade-runner have anything to do with speedskating? perhaps the sudden interest is related to the upcoming winter olympics.

· 
Nevermore

yea regent school of architecture england...but gilmour is a structural engineer..one of their first experimental band names was "t-set ".

Jan 25, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Living in Gin, most of them studied architecture. I don't think Sid Barrett did, but certainly Roger, Rick and Nick Mason.

Where's my Pink Floyd??? I hope it isn't too late!!!

Jan 25, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

are prodigy also ex-architects ?

Jan 25, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 

simples I thought THX1138 was Lucas's thesis film. It is great and far ahead of its time... and I hate Lucas.

Jan 25, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 

The one thing I found interesting about Blade Runner is to see LA as a REAL city, rather than the suburbansprawly thing it became.

Jan 25, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Jan 25, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

That's what I've always found ironic about Blade Runner: It's supposedly a bleak view of the future of the city, but it actually looks a hell of a lot more vibrant and interesting than today's suburban sprawl.

Jan 25, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
e

hmmm, 1982 is now the new old. i think i was having my first drink round then. mad dog anyone?

Jan 25, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

j

.godfather has 3 parts..u should see the third..that came in 1990.

if you haven't seen it, you should check it out. i think it's the best !!!!

Jan 25, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
job job

i keep hearing about something called 'star wars' - what the hell kind of name is that. i hate movies, they're so OLD and really OLD

aside: did you know that r2 d2 was relabelled 'arthurito' (lit. little arthur) for latin markets??

times like this i remember when SNL was amazing...

Jan 25, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
e

...because part III isn't that old

Jan 25, 06 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

living in gin..i have this feeling.
do u think it may have been "inspired" by orwell's 1984

Jan 25, 06 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
job job

michael cimino, director of 'the deer hunter' has a degree in architecture. he's, like, really old

Jan 25, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

It was actually inspired by Citizen Kane and Metropolis, but you wouldn't be familiar with those...

Jan 25, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Living in Gin it is kind of funny, Maybe someone should do research on when the city became "evil" and bleak in film. I can think of movies like metropolis, soilent green, etc....
When will movies start turning the 'burb into the bleak future?

Jan 25, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

no i havent seen those movies.Ill try and get them

Jan 25, 06 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

snowi....i once saw a really old movie called "sound of music"..it was like really old with all old nuns and an old nurse and all old austrian generals and a lot of very olden style children in lot of olden mountains and very old castles.

seen that movie..it was like very old ?

Jan 25, 06 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Living in gin.

i would think that Minority report is nearer to orwell 1984

Jan 25, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think cities being portrayed as "evil" in film goes back about as long as film itself... The American and British anti-urban mentality was firmly in place by the advent of the motion picture.

In the original release of Blade Runner (not the director's cut), the feel-good ending of the movie is when Deckard and his love interest escape the city for pristine wilderness.

In Dark City (another excellent movie), the film concludes with the protagonist and his love interest heading off to a mythical "Shell Beach" of his own making outside the city.

The movie Brazil also has a similar theme, although I haven't seen that one in a while.

I'll try and think of some movies where suburbia is portrayed as the evil place... Right now Pleasantville and Stepford Wives are the only ones that come to mind, and in those, the "city" is completely off the radar screen.

Jan 25, 06 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

I thought about "A Boy and his Dog" it is a small (70's?) SciFi movie about post-apocalyptic america. People on the surface strife as peole under ground create disneyfied suburbs from hell.
I liked the movie a lot, but dont know if I would call it "great".

Jan 25, 06 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

the 'happy ending' to brazil involves the heros in a cottage surrounded by acres of green (possibly a picket fence as well).

thankfully gilliam has integrity and fought that like hell.

Jan 25, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
job job

evil suburbia - edward scissorhands.

is this now serious sub-thread about city and dysfunction/evil/hell not going to pick up on godard's alphaville or orson welles' the trial?

Jan 25, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

guys I saw this movie once-->

its goes like this ,in the 1960's cuban missile crisis era..an american paranoid couple ( who fear a russian cuban missile attack ) build a bunker in their basement with enough supplies to last them decades.

then one fateful day..a car crashes in their backyard something......they think the nuclear holocaust has arrived and hide underground in their bunker and dont come up till the 1990's , when their son decides to go "up" to the real world and try to "salvage" some supplies

finally , the end of the movie is that a govt agency discovers them thru their enlightened son and rehabilitates the aged couple in a 60's designed american old age retirement town.

( after telling them the story that america defeated the communist forces in world war 3 and this was one of the few places untouched by the war )

it was hilarious and pretty satirical at the same time..had well known actors too..forget the name..anyone knows abt this movie.?

Jan 25, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: