Archinect
anchor

Post-graduation career advice needed

JerkStoreCalling

So here I am, graduating from an M. Arch program. I'm 25, and I've never had a job for more than 3 months. In fact, I've never had to plan beyond where I'm going to go to school next. And as a result, I'm feeling some stress here about employment.

My problem of the day is this: I worked at and have an offer to go back to a small, traditional firm that does good work, and makes a fair amount of money. I'd have responsibility, and I could complete my IDP training easily. I'd probably get paid as well as anywhere, and I loved the office culture and the people I worked with. My only hesitation is that their work, while excellent, is a little TOO traditional for what I'd like to do. If I go there, am I dooming my chances of ever moving to a modern or high-profile firm, when all the professional work I will have done will be classical and in a small-time office? Or am I selling short the opportunity to work in a place that I like being and where I am appreciated?

I guess as a larger question, how important is the job you land out of school in terms of where you go in the future?

Jan 23, 06 10:16 pm
garpike

You should do what makes you happy. This traditional firm seems to make you happy, but maybe that is because of the security and comfort it provides - I can't really say. Think about yourself five years down the road. If you don't think you'll regret having worked in what seems like a nice place to work, I say go for it. But if it you think you'll regret having taken the "easy" road, you may want to consider something else.

Jan 23, 06 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

And to answer your last question, how important is that first firm, it all depends on what you make of it. If you have the will to leave a comfortable job, I would say it wouldn't affect you too much - in fact you can gain a lot of important experience, like certain types of construction (beneath the ornament) and of course there's IDP. Many of us have worked or will work in "traditional" firms at some point in our careers.

Jan 23, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
comb

in my view, there would be few long term drawbacks to spending a year or so in the firm you describe ... it will give you a track record and it may even give you a chance to help the firm evolve into something stronger ... if they don't work you too hard, you can do some moonlighting or enter some competitions to begin establishing your own reputation ... get your license as quickly as you can ... then, when you're ready, you'll have much more career flexibility

on the other hand, if you want to take some time kicking a few other tires, that might prove worthwhile ... there's a lot of hiring going on right now

Jan 23, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
JerkStoreCalling

Also, I guess if it matters, I'm graduating from an ivy-league program. Not to be stuck up about it, but I guess I have the realistic option to work for some bigger-name firms based on what I've seen from recent graduates here.

Jan 23, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ivy? You're fine. Really, I don't think you will be penalized in the long run, especially at 25. I would say unless you are driven to work at a specific, cutting firm - and now - you are fine. And like comb said, you will be more likely in a position to moonlight that say a starchitect who may require long hours.

Jan 23, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I agree with garpike.

However, aim high, and explore your options. One of my professors used to say, "Work for the very best firm you can from the beginning of your career." Establishing a name for yourself and developing relationships early in your career will benefit you down the road. It will be easier for you in the future if you know the important players in the market sector(s) that most interest you, rather than having to start fresh when you decide to pursue what you really want.

If you pick a path that really interests you now, there's no reason you can't change it in the future. But don't you owe it to yourself to seek a firm now that does the type of work you love?

Jan 23, 06 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

That can be a double-edged sword. There are some large famous firms that do great work where young graduates will learn a lot by being paired with a good boss who will teach and guide you. It's about a 50-50 chance, because on the other hand a lot of those firms just use the new guy like a slave, and he doesn't learn squat. That firm you spoke about seems like a safe bet, you can always work there and see how it goes. You can interview at different firms even after you have that first job, no big deal, and see what else is out there, while at the same time having something active to compare it with. I say make the safe move, you could have major regrets if you don't. If your only goal is to be a "starchitect" then keep kicking those tires. If you have loans to pay back and bills to make, make the safe call.

Jan 24, 06 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

i agree with dca, def aim high early on, or else you will find yourself trying to catch up later. mind you the ivy league thang will likely keep the doors open a lot longer than for a lot of us.

famous firms can absolutely play with their staff and use you for building models instead of design, but i think that is more for the unpaid interns working for experience than for real graduate architects...seems to be that way here anyway...

Jan 24, 06 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
jh

i took a fairly shitty job after i finished my undergrad. i stayed there for about a year and got a job at starchitect. it was a tough decision - i went from $20 an hour with full benefits to $7 an hour with no benefits (other than dinner was usually paid for because i was at the office 80-90 hours a week). yep started in the model shop, but because i had some real experience i moved up quicker. after that i decided to move to the east coast and sent my resume to one office (another starchitect) and was offered a job immediately. i did well at that office and got some great experience - worked mainly on competitions, but took a couple of projects through DD. went back to school to get my masters and i am now trying self-employment. i think about going back and working for a name, but i am not really interested in dealing with the bullshit.

Jan 24, 06 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: