Archinect
anchor

PraHAHAHAda

JohnProlly

Have you heard about this yet?

Rem Koolhaas' landmark Prada store in SoHo was basically destroyed yesterday by smoke and water damage caused by a fire next door. Maybe Rem had an OMA intern set the blaze to end criticism of the $40M store's notoriously rapid deterioration.

gutter.curbed.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/23/nyregion/23blaze.html

http://blog.verbosecoma.com/archives/hamishs-diary/fire_sale.php

John

Jan 23, 06 1:52 pm
Philip Gentleman

probably more like a guggenheim trustee (one floor adjacent) upset over las vegas failures...

Jan 23, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

can't decide if it is sad or awesome....either way I didn't get to slide down the wall, I mean floor, I mean.....slide?

Jan 23, 06 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

I can picture the wheels in rem's head spinning right now ... "this will usher in a new paradigm for retail in which ze distressed, ze catastrophic and ze grotesque replace ze, euh, exclusive ... it is only fitting that after a year of disasterous floods that have caused catastrophy on ze global scale, that architecture and retail also confront ze sublime possibilities of aquatic destruction ... it has introduced into OMA's process, which i am saddened too say is becoming too predictable and boring to me, a profound uncertainty, which i find frightening and exhilerating at ze same time."

Jan 23, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
mm

Is Prada going to have a fire sale?

I could use a euro-styled suit (black, of course) and a pair of sharp toe shoes (black, again, of course) for well below retail...

Jan 23, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i wonder how well Brazilian zebra wood burns? for the price of it i hope very well.

Jan 23, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

was there over lunch a couple hours ago...
the fire didn't happen on the prada floor seemingly...it was on the
upper floors...they're already working on tearing off the vinyl wall
decal...the lights were all off...and the windows were all covered up
so i couldn't really see in..but you can see the floors above all
have their windows covered with plywood....

Jan 23, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

heh...

Jan 23, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it wasnt meant to be taken literaly

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=P31781_0_42_0_C

Jan 23, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

They'll just pay Rem to do a new one. Shops (even Prada) refit constantly anyway.

Still, not a great thing to happen.

Jan 23, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
jetcetera

Today's word is: S-C-H-A-D-E-N-F-R-E-U-D-E

Jan 23, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
White T. Rash

i was finishing up my business in a public bathroom once and being the curteous fella, i struck a match. you know, to cover up them bodily smells i had just released. well i waved the match to put it out and it accidentally sent it flyin into the trashcan. lord have mercy did it light up like dry kindlin'. not knowin' what to do, i ran like hell.

Jan 24, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: