Archinect
anchor

that building on Santa Monica beach?

frisbee pirata

So I went for a ride to the beach today and was greeted by a glaringly obtrusive building that was just put up on Santa Monica beach, no more than 150 metres from the pier. What is it? and where did it come from? The design is different, but COMPLETELY out of place. Cheers!

Jan 22, 06 2:29 am
sporadic supernova

have a pic mate ?

Jan 22, 06 2:36 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

its the nomadic museum by shigeru ban...it houses photos by gregory colbert...go check it out.

Jan 22, 06 3:24 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova
http://images.google.ae/images?q=%22nomadic+museum+%22&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

I do have a lot of respect for Shigeru Ban ... but .....

Jan 22, 06 5:32 am  · 
 · 
garpike

It's my bike. Sorry. I'll move it.

Jan 22, 06 11:21 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i remember real train use to come to santa monica and bring lumber for now closed fisher lumber on 14 th. street.
a lot of wessiders think i just came to america..

Jan 22, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I'm glad someone is finally doing something with shipping containers.

Jan 22, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
frisbee pirata

Thanks, i'll try to get some current photos this week. It's a fine design, a cool gesture anyway, with the shipping containers... but why here? why not help to house the homeless which are so present in Santa Monica?

Jan 22, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
nixietube

a giant barracks for the homeless right on the beach would SOOO not fly in santa monica. and anyway, i think there is something just not quite PC about using shipping containers as homeless shelters. i can't put my finger on it though.

Jan 22, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

shipping containers? Is that a statement or something? I sit behind one every day to and fro work on a flatbed - I hate them. Great- a gable on a Dutch shipping container. Next! Move on....

Jan 22, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Welcome back, nixie. Has anyone hard facts on how "cheap" shipping containers are? Not the actual price, but the cost of using them?

I've heard from the mouth of an expert that they are too expensive to be a realistic option. Let's just call him Les Bones.

Jan 22, 06 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

In the olden days (like 2000) we used them on a couple of projects. Not cost effective - unless you are under serious time constraints you might as well have something made from scratch. The last time we looked at using them for a tower-type applicaton (stacked 5 high) it was around twice the cost of a custom made steel structure.

Most (cheap) shipping containers are made in China or Korea, and if you are using them for structure there is no way for the building department to sign off on them b/c they aren't made by (US) certified welders. Also, the 8' module is great for fitting on standard flatbeds, but doesn't really lend itself to architectural applications.

That said, if you want to just make a eight foot thick storage wall out of them, they are great.

Jan 22, 06 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: