Archinect
anchor

Help! Where Should I Co-op?

norm

i interned faor a very small high-end residential firm. there i got to do everything. they counted on me, and i had to step up. a summer at gensler or another big firm? who knows.
the best advice i saw above is to pick a firm that matches your interests.

Jan 24, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

A good friend of mine works for Tsao & McKown in SoHo. I'll email you his info.

Jan 24, 06 10:59 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

We talked on the bus about most of this back from the NY Trip. But this is a run down.

From friends who are design Princaples told me that the head guys at Studios in DC are jerks (perhaps that's not the case with their other offices). They also do everything on Macs so prepare to learn new software if you only know AutoCAD. And yes, they are heavy on interiors. They also offered me the least amount.

Gensler San Fran has had a bad rap on archinect, but I can't speak from personal experience. I'm in Gensler DC, and I think this COULD be a good experience. They are super busy and packed, thus I don't really have my own space and it's up in the air if I ever will. Everyone is pretty supportive, and there are a lot of classes and design exhibits that happen in house on a daily basis (large firm, 200 people). I've been stuck on a model for the last 2 weeks, but if they can get me off of this and on to some other projects soon, then I think things will turn around. They have me set for some cool stuff. Plus sustainability is a big thing here, they are trying to get me LEED Accredited by the end of March.

KPF in NY looked like a terrific firm, and they offered me a bit more than Gensler did. I kind of wished I had gone there, but free rent with my cousin in DC helped make the decision.

EHDD was the one firm that I didn't get, and they seemed to be the coolest in design. Take a look to see if they are offering for your co-op quarter. I know they took someone else in their 4th undergrad at UC instead of me. Can't remember the guys name though. WonderK went there, her favorite co-op if I recall.

I would contact any of these three firms in Minneapolis and see if they be interested in doing a co-op (I think you can set up your own):

http://www.cermakrhoades.com/
http://www.juliesnowarchitects.com/
http://www.msrltd.com/

MS&R did the new Mill City Museum, and their office is on the top floor...GORGEOUS PLACE! http://www.msrltd.com/ins1.html#

Cermak Rhoades is doing a good job at taking old factories and making them housing or community centers. They have some exciting projects! Good friend of mine is working there.

Julie Snow is probably the most innovative Modern architect in the Midwest, more so than Charles Stinson or Charlie Lazer. Everyone I knew in Minneapolis would love to have worked for Julie Snow.

Jan 24, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
buffalo fill

Can you be innovative and "Modern" at the same time?

Jan 24, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 
aeaa

fox and fowle have changed their name to FX fowle.....Fox moved on and started cook+fox.

wonder K, soho technically ends at west broadway, heading west from Braodway so, tsao is NOT in soho,I'm just saying.....

with that said, 5, I think your picks look fine. I have actually heard better things about the SF and LA Gensler offices than the NYC one.

Jan 24, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

aeaa,

what are you, a fucking park ranger??

Jan 24, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

part time actually.......the other part of my time I live in wonderful pasadena, do yoga and eat soy yogurt.........

sound familiar? hahaha

Jan 24, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i dont eat soy yogurt

Jan 24, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

thanks for all you input. gensler sf is my last choice (but i picked it mainly bc of the LEED accreditation and the fact that the SF office does the gensler work i like the best.

i know it's now FXFOWLE Architects, OC, but everyone i know still calls it fox fowle. they're hiring to help develop a project from a competition they one with Rogers in london.

as far as design, i think i like ziger snead the best. does anyone know anything about working at this firm, or about living in baltimore for that matter?

studios i've gone off of. erik sueberkrop (a founding principal of studios) came to uc and showed slides of their work that were miles ahead of what they've got on their website. nevertheless, he works in the SF office, and i have no interest in the DC thing.

i'd like to shoot for the moon and send off a couple hail mary portfolios (which, btw, i have completely revised thanks to many peoples' input--sone to be posted) to some firms i really like. i figure, not getting paid might not be so bad, because i'm not getting paid now and i'm working my ass off (and in cincinnati, no less).

wonderk, thanks for the hookup on tsao. i'll look for your email. their work doesn't really blow me away, but they seem to be interested in their interns' fitment into the nyc scene (lots of gallery opening tagalongs and parties, etc.)

in summary, i'm mainly curious of people's experiences at fxfowle and ziger/snead.

Jan 24, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
latest portfolio draft

7x7, full bleed, coil-bound?

Need input, eps. re: order. Which goes first, second, et. et. ?

Some have suggested I omit the graphic/drawing stuff (pice hill library, ford foundation) and the ee cummings recontextualization.

Thanks everyone.

Jan 24, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

KPF.

i'm working there next quarter. all you ex-daapers, where the hell did you find a place in NYC for 3 months?

Feb 10, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Derek Mason

Try Craigslist.org

Feb 10, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Word. Good job 5. Pay attention, there are some smart folks there.

When I lived up there for 3 months only, we had a furnished sublet on Murray Hill. 33rd and 3rd. Catchy, no? It was lovely. Good brunch place on the corner too.....

Feb 10, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

thanks, K. i'll be thinking about that while i'm sleeping with the rats in a squat in the bowery...

Feb 10, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: