Archinect
anchor

Development :: Infrastructure Est.

trace™

Anyone have any suggestions for where to start learning about estimating the costs of putting in infrastructure for a medium sized res development?

Books, online info, etc.

Doesn't have to be too accurate, just a general idea of where to start.

Thanks

Jan 17, 06 10:53 am
citizen

Saylor Construction Costs Estimating books are good for this.

Jan 17, 06 11:28 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Thanks, those looks pretty good.

Anyone have a stupid simple formula? Like $$ per acre or house or something really simple?

Any suggestions for books that go through the process?

Jan 18, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Data

I have been looking for something similar. what I have done is spend a lot of time on my cities website, reviewing rfps for redevelopment of city land.

I would also talk to a good contractor in your area.

Jan 18, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
trace™

project is HUGE (at least for me to grasp) and is so far from contacting a contractor (plus, it's half way across the country from me). It's a large, very rural site - very challenging.

There isn't any RFPs that I could look at for that town, just too small. Good idea for other things, though.

Jan 18, 06 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

don't you have a civil engineer involved yet who could help?

Jan 18, 06 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood
"project is HUGE (at least for me to grasp) and is so far from contacting a contractor (plus, it's half way across the country from me). It's a large, very rural site - very challenging."

I'm far too scared and skeptical to help you....
Jan 18, 06 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

scared and skeptical? hmmm....

No, there is no one involved and it's a long way from that point.

Jan 18, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i'd try contacting the local chapter of the nat'l. association of home builders as a starting point. a project like that would probably have the contractors beating down your door to provide information.

Jan 18, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Why is it so large, very rural, and so far away from you?

Jan 19, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
trace™

you could say it's a personal project for now

Jan 19, 06 12:57 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

Well, good luck...

Jan 20, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

in my experience, there are far too many variables for infrastructure to enable a simple back of envelope calculation that would have any meaning. you need basic decisions or scenarios established - things like community utility access or private, topographical issues, specific federal/state/local regulations. without those established, any guess you make now could be off by orders of magnitude and are frequently pro-forma killers.

Jan 20, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

thanks...

I realize that this can not be accurate by any means, but we are not even close to creatinga proforma, so any idea, even if it's off by magnitudes, will be better than nothing.

Jan 20, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: