Archinect
anchor

TRANSFER PORTFOLIO CRITIQUE

Znaika

This is a trasfer portfolio from a junior college to B.Arch. All comments welcome. Please comment on: Is text good enough? Is the general layout okay? Should I omit any projects? Should I include or take out the caricature in the third to last page? Thank you. 

http://issuu.com/yblyashenko/docs/portfolio_draft

Dec 18, 11 3:40 am
nmgeller88

My initial reactions:

Change that green on the titles, its pretty difficult to read. I'd either just do black or maybe a grey if you are wanting to differentiate it from the rest of the text.

I don't mind the jagger. Unless you have another image you are thinking about putting in its place, I dont see the harm in leaving it in.

I might also include how long you spent on each project. Saying it was a 2 week project or a 2 month project means a lot as far as how much depth or detail goes into a design.

I haven't taken the time to read your text yet, just thought I'd give you some of my thoughts.

Dec 18, 11 4:05 am  · 
 · 
snail

Just a quick reaction, but one which I think is the most important - it seems that only a small percentage of your portfolio is actually documenting the work that you did in college. If you're applying for a year or two of advanced standing in a B.Arch program, they will probably expect you to have advanced to a certain level of experience and right now I don't know that your portfolio shows that. You should probably have 2 to 3 times as much documentation of your college work. That can include making your individual pages denser. Show your portfolio to your professors, too.

Dec 18, 11 6:20 am  · 
 · 
Znaika

@nmgeller88- Thank you for your comments. Would you think that substituting Mick Jagger with say, Andy Warhol, would be a good idea? Since the people that will be reviewing the portfolio are somewhat related to art.

Thank for the idea of putting time frames on the projects, I think that would explain why the documentation does not go into great detail.

@snail- Thank you for your comments. Do you mean showing more diagramming for the designs? The problems with that, like I already said above, those design projects did not really give the time for that. 

Dec 18, 11 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
batman

desna2 -

where are you applying to? i went to CRC 4 - 5 years ago

Dec 18, 11 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

@batman- Not sure yet, but probably Berkeley and Cooper. Do you still remember Ellis? He still teaches.

Dec 18, 11 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
batman

Yea of course i do. I'm amazed that he' still there.  I just asked him for a letter of rec.

Dec 18, 11 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
batman

and i didn't know UCB requires portfolios for transferring into their B.A program. When I applied it was just complete the required courses and a personal statement

Dec 18, 11 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

Haha, yeah he's great. So you probably remember all the projects that are in my portfolio? 

Dec 18, 11 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
batman

of course.  but in hindsight, the stuff that we did for him didn't prepare me so well into the school that i got into.

Dec 18, 11 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

May I ask which school?

Dec 18, 11 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
batman

UCLA. i just finished applying to Grad schools, one of which is Berk.

if you ahve other questions feel free to leave your email and ill just contact you through  that way

Dec 18, 11 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

@batman- Sorry I missed your earlier comment. UCB doesn't require a portfolio, at least I don't think so, it's just one more school that I would like to apply to. 

Dec 18, 11 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
batman

no worries. good luck with your apps

Dec 18, 11 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

Thank you. Here's my email: [email protected]

Dec 18, 11 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
batman

well only if you have other questions hahah

Dec 18, 11 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: