Archinect
anchor

Auburn or Clemson?

similar schools? which is a better school? does the Mockbee legacy at Auburn far outshine clemson's architecture school?

Jan 10, 06 12:27 pm
black bat

people always seem to get us confused. so maybe we are alot alike, or maybe its because we are both from the south, have the same school colors, and unless you went to one, you don't really know where they are.

mockbee's legacy may bring press, but the school's success doesn't rest on his shoulders. the rural studio continues to do good work (socially and architecturally) and the only relevant legacy is the work that alumni proceed with after graduating.

can't say that i know much about clemson.

my 2 cents...

Jan 10, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
ether

(imho) mockbee's legacy shadows only a small portion of auburn's full potential. to get into the rural studio program is now an extremely competetive process (as both a second year and thesis student).

unfortunately, i do not know much about clemson but i believe the experience at a big state school (like auburn or clemson) are what you make of it.

i would suggest visting both, talk to students and faculty and then make your own decision.

Jan 10, 06 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
postism

Ha. I think that this is the first time I have seen anything about Clemson on these discussions. I finished the undergrad program in 04 and have moved west for a masters degree. I would have to say that Clemson definitely has its good and bad points.

Good: Great off campus opportunities in Genoa, Italy, Barcelona, Spain and Charleston, SC. There is currently a push to hire younger faculty members with degrees from top schools. It is a college town with a real "university" feel. Studio South program that is along the same lines as the rural studio design-build program but it is in its infancy.

Bad: Studio experiences can be outdated with older faculty and it does not currently offer the innovative technology available at other schools. (Don’t know how it compares to Auburn.)

I have had the opportunity to visit the rural studio and the work produced in the past seemed impressive but the system was a bit unorganized. From what the students there told me...the fall semester group would design something and then the spring semester group would change it, try to build it and end up working far into the summer to finish.

I have to admit that my knowledge of auburn is quite limited, but if you have any more questions about Clemson, I would be happy to help.

Jan 11, 06 2:14 am  · 
 · 
black bat

have you been to auburn's?

dudley hall is the biggest dump on campus.

Jan 11, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 
ether

the 4 story basement.

Jan 11, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
todd

if the studio space sucks, i would definitely reconsider. you spend your days and nights in this enviornment. auburn has some hot women. might have to base my decision on this alone.

-UF grad opinion

Jan 11, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
postism

i would definitely visit both if you are uncertain. i have no issues with the space at clemson. it is a bit dated but it has high ceilings, a lot of natural light and a central courtyard. nothing glamorous but i didnt mind spending countless hours there during my four years.

Jan 11, 06 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I think it one huge factor is that you are looking at two schools with two different programs. Auburn offers a B. Arch and Clemson offers a B.A in Arch. You need to think about how important it is for you to become a licensed architect. If you go to Clemson, you must go to grad school to become a licensed architect. Clemson actually has a great grad program.

I went to Clemson and graduated in 2005. The school completely shifted while I was there. They have been hiring at lot of recent Ivy grads (Columbia primarily, Yale, Princeton) that are positvely doing great things for the school. It become more design based and more emphasis on technology. They recently purchased a 3d printer, laser cutter, and one of those huge router/skill tables.

If you have more questions about Clemson, post them up.

Feb 12, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I would go to Auburn...Why because I think there are alot of good things that can rubb off on you there. It isn't the kind of stuff your
going to get anywhere else. If you give it your best shot, and not screw around you should come away with an excellent education.

If you need any more info let me know.

Feb 13, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
ffonics

elvischyld
> "Clemson actually has a great grad program."

Ive been accepted into the program with a GA position. Can you please elaborate on :

> faculty > old vs new ? (experienced similar situation as undergrad)

Mar 30, 06 3:02 am  · 
 · 
mab82

I would love to do the Auburn rural studio, but alas, I already have a ba...

Mar 30, 06 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
GT+...:(

Auburn is a very good architecture school but as a graduate of a 4+2 school it is out of the question. Like ffonics I've been accepted into their Grad program with some excellent benefits. I believe I will attend the open house April 17th before fully deciding. Graduates can take their first year in Charleston and I read on the website they have a new facility in Charleston under construction. Can any alumni tell me about the Charleston program? Current facilities? Housing?

Mar 30, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
n_

i'll tell you all about it...after work. give me about 5 more hours. i did the charleston program as well so i can give you plenty of info.

Mar 30, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Mar 30, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Also, are you familiar with a man named Kemp Mooney?

Mar 30, 06 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Ok, let me begin by saying I did Clemson's undergrad program so I can help you out as much as an undergrad can help you out. I was fairly involved with the architecture school and worked with some grad professors so I am more knowledgeable than most undergrads students.

The grad school has a lot to offer in terms of education. They have the Charleston program and a program in Italy as well. The Charleston program is a unique work/study program. You work under the best professor I have ever had, Robert Miller. The man is a genius. You work in the morning and take classes after 1pm The program is well run and EXTREMEMLY INTENSE. Worth every second of it. And you live in Charleston which is a wonderful city.

The grad facilities are more updated than the undergrad facilities. Everyone has their own fairly large space. Grad students also have access to a laser cutter, 3d printer, and some high tech wood router thing that was just purchased last year.

Yes, I am somewhat familiar with Kemp Mooney. I took a year off campus to study abroad (Charleston and Barcelona) so I missed having Kemp Mooney my third year. I don't know much about him except he is kind of one of the older professors and somewhat bitter at life. Clemson's undergrad is kind of filled with the new breed or the old breed. The newer people are recent Ivy league grads that push you and challenge you. The older generation is kind of stagnant. This is a lot more prevelant in the undergrad than the grad school though. The grad school has some great professors, Doug Hecker and Virginia San Fratello (she'll be the professor in Italy next year though so you'll miss her).

Hope this helps. if you have more questions, let me know.

Mar 30, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Elvis. You said you worked in the morning and hen classes were after 1:00 pm. Do they help find a job for you or do you have to find one on your own. Alos, are there residential facilities? Is it substantially more expensive to live there than in Clemson?

Mar 31, 06 8:58 am  · 
 · 
n_

Yes, they provide the interviews with a few local architecture firms. I interviewed with 4 I believe. As for housing, you are on your own with that. There is a website on College of Charleston's housing website that has tons of subleases that is pretty helpful. Those are usually located downtown. I highly recommend living in downtown if you can afford it. After all, the downtown is what makes Charleston great. Just be careful what street its on because one street over can be super rough. The downtown is more expensive than Clemson but if you live on James Island or West Ashley (suburbs), the price is comparable to Clemson. The Charleston program is great, but, let me repeat, it is very intense. Nobody seemed to have problems with their office work, all the bosses seem to be very understanding if you need to do studio work but the studio work is intense....very intense. But worth every second. As a student, it was definately the semester that helped me understand architecture the most.

Mar 31, 06 10:20 am  · 
 · 
ffonics

any info on the genoa gig

and what thesis / exit review options are there

Mar 31, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Also elvis,
If you could explain some things for me: What was your pay when you worked? I'm assuming you worked 20 hours/week. Did that provide you with enough to live-on? How many credit hours did the working part give you. and how many classes are you taking beside a studio? Oh and I found the links to the housing website you mentioned. This is very helpful.

Mar 31, 06 11:31 am  · 
 · 
n_

i had absolutely no architecture related experience before i worked in charleston so i think i was paid about $6.50-7.50 an hour (this was also 3 years ago). the grads students who had previous experience were paid significantly more. i am not sure the exact amount but i think it ranged from about $13-$16 an hour. i worked 15 hours a week but you can not work more than 20 hours a week. obviously, because my pay was so low and i worked 15 hours a week, it was not suffice to live off. but, i was not relying on that money for my main source of income so it was more of 'play money.' this is completely subject to change so this information that i am about to give you might be incorrect. if you worked under 10 hours, you were given 1 hour credit for you job. if you worked 11-15, you were given 2 hour credit. and if you worked 16-20, you were given a 3 hour credit.

if you are enrolled in the charleston program, you are able to take classes at the college of charleston as well. i am not sure if that is relevant to grad students as well. i was taking an art history course at college of charleston, an architectural computer class with the clemson program, an introduction to craft (mandatory class for all program participants - 1 hour credit), a building materials class, and my studio. i think it came to be a 20 hour course load.

Apr 1, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 
n_

ffonics - the genoa gig is pretty nice from what i have been told. the program is open to grad and undergrad architecture students. they also started admitting m.f.a. students so i know last year they had 3 sculpture and photography students.

clemson owns a villa in genoa. the villa includes the studio space, class room space, new dark room, full-service kitchen, and bedrooms for students. their is an italian lady who cooks your meals for you monday through friday. one day of the week is dedicated to study travel to see many cities and towns near genoa. there is also a 2 or 3 week study travel with your group to see most of italy, as well.

i have heard great things from the program. from what i have been told, it seems to emphasis a lot of free hand sketching so bring plenty of sketchbooks.

Apr 1, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
ffonics

really appreciate all the help

how about living for Grad students in clemson

Apr 1, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

This is great info thanks elvis. A 20 credit course load and working part time is pretty frickin tough. I'm sure I'll have some more questions in the next week or two. I have yet to hear back from ASU, UF, and Virgina Tech and if I don't hear anything by The 10th or so I'm taking Clemson.

Apr 1, 06 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
gillespie

I was emailed my acceptance from Clemson last week and received the hard copy in the mail today. After being 0/4 last year, this letter is going in a frame. or maybe i'll have it enlarged and put on a highway billboard.

I came across a PDF on the Genoa program on the Assn of American Universities in Italy website. It's quite detailed - the most information I have found through Google thus far.

Daniel Center in Genoa

Apr 1, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
n_

clemson does offer on-campus grad housing although their options are limited. they are outdated and have cinder block walls if that helps you imagine their prison-cell like qualities. clemson is a fairly inexpensive to live so you can find a better place to live for about the same cost (and still extrememly close to campus). the cookie-cutter apartments are the most expensive place to live in town. but, you can find a house, withint 1.5 miles from campus and pay very little. i lived on the lake in a 3 bedroom house with 2 other people (each had our own room) and we were paying 230 a month. i definately recommend going in on a house, the are older and have more personality.

Apr 2, 06 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
davidgray

elvischyld:

i'm in denver, probably going to accept my clemson offer. i've poked around online for a house to rent (i'm with you, i'd much prefer a house to an apartment), but it seems pretty sparse. also, i am coming with my wife and kid, not doing the roommate thing. i've been out there, i know there's housing, but nobody seems to use the internet. any suggestions/contacts? we're even looking into buying.

Apr 3, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
davidgray

elvischyld:

i'm in denver, probably going to accept my clemson offer. i've poked around online for a house to rent (i'm with you, i'd much prefer a house to an apartment), but it seems pretty sparse. also, i am coming with my wife and kid, not doing the roommate thing. i've been out there, i know there's housing, but nobody seems to use the internet. any suggestions/contacts? we're even looking into buying.

Apr 3, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
n_

davidgray - what is your email? i'll give you my landlords number. decent house, next to the lake. 3 bedrooms. i know he is willing to sell it. hardwood floors throughout the house. less than 1.5 miles from campus. about a 25 minute walk or the cat bus stops close to the house.

fair warning: this is clemson, south carolina. housing is limited so don't expect anything absolutely amazing. the house did the trick for my few years there.

Apr 3, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: