Archinect
anchor

three dimensional projected hologram

French

We are working on an installation project right now, amongst many other projects, and we are willing to project a 3d animation of an object. To get away with the usual wall projected video encountered in many installations of this type, I was wandering if anybody here has used or has encountered an efficient system for 3d holograms.
Any information on manufacturers, prices, etcc is welcome. Preferably in Europe, but anything would do...

Jan 6, 06 5:48 am
a-f

Not really a hologram, but I went to two performances by Edwin van der Heide here in Amsterdam. The use of laser-projected surfaces (cones and planes) in a room filled with fog was really impressive, especially the scale of the shapes and the speed of transformation.

Jan 6, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
French

Wonderful phtographs, thanks a-f. Not exactly what I was looking for, but quite exiting and inspiring. Thanks a-f!
Keep em coming!

Jan 6, 06 10:31 am  · 
 · 
REDFemme

Check out Holopro. We are using this for a virtual concierge - not built yet - but great to work with. It's not quite the 3d projected image - but its a larger clear surface area which creates the illusion - think " minority report " .........

Jan 6, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
REDFemme

oops, i almost forgot :)

http://www.holopro.com/

Jan 6, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
French

Thanks REDFemme
So far, the closests to what I'm looking for are
www.fogscreen.com

and
www.io2technology.com

The one you're talking about is a bit too visible as an object for our project. But t's good to know the system...

Jan 6, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Jan 6, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
tbwells

I remember hearing that the United Architects(FOA, Lynn, etc...) group enlisted something like this for the WTC proposal/ model exhibition @ the winter garden...did not see it personally and could be wrong, anyone?

Jan 6, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
tbwells

Provision Interactive's HoloVision

Jan 6, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Who were those guys in Texas that KolMac used for their pod thing? They were all over their biennale exhibition like a cheap suit (I think they were even wearing cheap suits). I’m sure they have their name plastered on some to their stuff from that or you could even try contacting them if they aren’t to busy spawning or whatever the Gutter thinks they’re up to.

Jan 6, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
saradowson

You could use holograms instead of a video projector, which one is better depends on the kind of image you want to make of course (I’d say holograms are better if you’re looking for a real 3D effect). There’s a list of hologram manufacturers at this site: http://www.ihma.org/member_list.php
Good luck – Be sure to let us know how it goes…

Jul 18, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Most hologram alway's was a set up , mirrors, images double projected so you don't notis the trivial projecting lenses hidden elsewhere, semi gloss screens, ---- much of it acturly depend on the screen and very few real holograms acturly exist, digital controlled even less.

Still sometimes ,even with antique optics surprising results are made, try look for Silver Screen Galleri , sadly a few of these effexts is not suieted for bringing in a web fora thru a digital camera --- but if you want to go 100 pct digital , maybe that is a bad link.

Jul 18, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

like this?

*not office friendly

Jul 18, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Exactly, anyone can see that is a real Hologram .

Set up right, so you wouldn't reconise the screen , the mirror or the strange perspective if the image, that's the trick , so far.

Jul 18, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Here the picture don't show the edge of the mirror --- the clowd of gem stones is acturly just places on the surface of the mirror in the picture. Many more much more advanced projecting and mirroring make many of today's "Holograms".

Jul 18, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

There ---- a mirror on a table, a pile of gem stones on the mirror , above pictures are just close up of just the mirror with the stones.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6500/sta60022wn9.jpg

Jul 18, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

"...Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope rrrzzrrrzzzzrrrzzzzrrzzz Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope...."

...Use the Force, Luke...

Jul 18, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

diesel's runway show used holographic images. its pretty sweet. it gets intense around 4 minutes and then again at 10 until the end.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCcTRjxP-Fc]fashion show

Jul 18, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

oops:
link

Jul 18, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

also look at viZoo's products...

vizoo

Jul 18, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Diesel shuld have banned foto-blitz , seem they uncover the transparent screens,

Jul 18, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

yeah, its not techinally a 3d image but its pretty cool anyways :)

Jul 18, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yeah that was cool...

Jul 18, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Guess spetacular images alway's was.

Jul 18, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

coophimmelb(l)au did a hologram for their exhibit at sciarc last year.

Jul 18, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
French

Funny that this thread was revived.
The installatino was built for three days in june '06.
It didn't featured a hologram, but it did rely on illusion and perception.
It was called "teleport", and was a teleportation simulator.
The public, especially kids, loved it, but critics didn't really care about it, since there was many other installation at the paris Festival des architecture Vives last year. Maybe it wasn't architectural enough.
It was a very simple thing: a scafolding platform, about 50 cm above the ground, and a parallel shiny white ceiling, of the same 4m by 8m surface hanging from the existing structure. between the two, a soundtrack of about 5 minutes, composed by yours truly, and a synchronized smoke and light show, that were all supposed to let the traveller witness the disappearance of the environment through light, sound andf smoke, thus simulating teleportation.
It wirked out pretty well I think, but three days is a short time to really have a clear memory of what happened.
There was a news anouncement when it happened I think....

Jul 19, 07 5:13 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I think holograms , semi or real has a place in architecture that will expand. Not only with the laser or fiber optics while they develob but light , patterns and a cheap Decor realy fit with most modern architecture.
I love to turn on an old rebuild projector with a low energy lamp and replace the pattern on my wall with a projected image from an old reflected light projector and it's only a question of time , before I find curved mirror or a new old parabol or that 1000 mm projecting lens I been looking for to add my projects ----- guess what I want to say , is that I hope to reach the point where I can combine some of the old -- aincient -- projecting technikes, with the modern laser or micro mirror projecting technikes , when that happen It still be ilusions I know, but I wonder if you will ever find out ; just to explain some of the trivial technikes from just the projected images can be different enough already.

Jul 19, 07 6:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: