Archinect
anchor

Graduate Application Portfolio

jpugarte1

Hi all. I've just stumbled into this site, I wish I would have known it earlier. Well, I'm a Chilean Architect and I am applying yo different graduate programs in USA: SciArc M.Arch 2, GSD M.Arch II and MIT SMArchs among others. As i said, I wish i would've know this before, 'cause it would've been a great place to get tips and feedback regarding program election, applications, essays, portfolio, etc.

Well, now I 'd like to share my portfolio with you. Critics and suggestions will be appreciated. This isn't the exact same version I presented for SciArc (and that I'll submit to other programs), but it is pretty much the same. 

Some comments before sharing:

a) Lineweights in plans and schemes are optimized for printing, not for web.

b) Most of the texts were reviewed and corrected. However, the ideas are the same

c) A little about my background. I studied architecture at Universidad Catolica de Chile. I specialized in parametric architecture and digital fabrication, and currently I'm working at gt2p, a chilean digital architecture studio. My professional experience has been heterogeneous, but mostly centered in furniture design and interior architecture.

Well, that's it. I hope you like it.

http://issuu.com/juanpablougarte/docs/jpu_portfolio

Dec 12, 11 10:44 pm
jpugarte1

OK, I just realized Issuu faced the pages together, which sucks.. I will re-upload it.

Dec 12, 11 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

hey, as a fellow grad app i'd like to see your portfolio. did you manage to reupload it?

best,

Dec 13, 11 9:58 am  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

Hi. InDesign crashed last night, so I couldn't reupload it. Now I've reuploaded it. Here it is:

http://issuu.com/juanpablougarte/docs/jpugarte_grad_app_portfolio

Note: In the 8th project, the images are misplaced (I updated the images for other document) and I don't have time now to fix it.

Dec 13, 11 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Narddog

@JPU

All I got to say is this is "NARD DOG APPROVED"

My only crits (to be taken constructively):

The word "portfolio" after the cover page feels, to me, a little chunky and wants to be rethought

Although I am not against silhouettes, I feel like in this particular setup they don't really justify the renders they are on as opposed to real images. But with that said, they still do work.

Goodluck!

Dec 13, 11 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Your portfolio is really good. I think that it will get you in just about anywhere you want. If this is a grad school application I would consider condensing or reducing it. 

Which raises another question. What are your motivation for going to graduate school?

"I studied architecture at Universidad Catolica de Chile. I specialized in parametric architecture and digital fabrication, and currently I'm working at gt2p, a chilean digital architecture studio. My professional experience has been heterogeneous, but mostly centered in furniture design and interior architecture."

Is this degree not accredited for license or something? Are you looking to have an academic career or teach? You already have a Job and a rich professional career.  I'm sure all of these institutions would love to take your money and give you a gold star, but you should really ask yourself what your going to get in return.  

Dec 13, 11 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

Thanks for comments. 

@Jonathan

About your questions:

Yes, I'm professionally accredited. And yes, I'm looking for academic career. I love my job here, but sometimes that is not enough. If I had to enumerate the reasons to applying to a graduate program, it would be like this:

a.- The Learning: I wanna learn new things, acquire new knowledge. I want to experiment, investigate, work in interdisciplinary groups, etc. All that things are somehow part of my job now, but one doesn't have all the freedom one would want while working on a architectural firm.

b.- The experience: I've never been out of Chile. I'd love to be inmersed in another culture, sharing knowledge and experiences with people from all around the world. Moreover, I think that just being on another country is a great experience

c.- The academic career: Like you said, I want to teach. Here in Chile (and everywhere I guess) it is mandatory to have a master degree. Funny fact: Here in Chile, architecture career last 6 years, and you only get a B.A (and license, but nothing more academically)

d.- Finally, I won't pay my studies. Hopefully, Chile's government will. If not, studying out of my country wouldn't an option at all. 

Dec 13, 11 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

@Jonathan

I reviewed the thread again, and I don't know if my reply sounded agressive or something. If that was the case, it wasn't my intention at all. In fact, thanks for your comment and interest.

Regards.

Dec 13, 11 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

Anyone else? I'd love to have more feedback: comments, suggestions, critics, etc.

http://issuu.com/juanpablougarte/docs/jpugarte_grad_app_portfolio

Cheers.

Dec 14, 11 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: