vigggo

here's one i had laying around...

Dec 23, 05 4:34 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

vigggo you are brilliant!!!!

Dec 23, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 

you stole that! it's Rem's new National Center for Reproductive Health in China...a working drawing, of course.

Dec 23, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

This thread is going to be removed for its obscenity.

Dec 23, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

your naked drinking what the hell are you talking about, dont get much more obscene than that. Crazy ol' coot..

Dec 23, 05 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Ach, "Sketches cum Napkins"
Geh weiter!

Dec 23, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Wolfie!

We MUST do tea.

Dec 23, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

...and this time I'm bringing the napkins!!!

Dec 23, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

vigggo an absolutely brilliant derailment of what could have been an architecture-related thread. Bravo.

Dec 23, 05 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

"Sketches cum Napkins" the second chapter of A Quondam Banquet of Virtual Sachlichkeit: Part II (which will likely be published within the next two weeks) is very much an architecture related thread.

Note the similarity of the plan images here and in the napkin sketch posted above by vigggo.

How much is that Piranesi innuendo indeed!

Merry Christmas Peter Eisenman.

Dec 23, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Anyone see the Napkin Sketches mini-show at OSU? I think it was in 2000 or 2001.

The best was Rem's 8.5 X 11 blue ballpoint pen diagram. He scribbled all over the sheet leaving just enough room at the bottom to chicken scratch the word "FIELD".

Dec 23, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

i like this one by george mcginnis: concept for space mountain at disney, when they still thought the track could run on the outside. according to the comments along with the sketch: "the unintended "flag" on the spire was probably a ketchup addition."

Dec 27, 05 8:37 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

sci arc web site alumni section has some napkin sketches for sale.link ..there

Dec 27, 05 8:51 am  · 
 · 
FormuLA
http://www.fotolog.com/formula/?pid=9830216
Dec 28, 05 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

bryan i am consistently blown away by your work...

Dec 28, 05 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
tricky
link
Dec 29, 05 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring
Helmut Jahn is selling his ...

Dec 29, 05 2:30 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

vigggo:
I think the paper towel is more disturbing than the actual sketch. By the way, last year while visiting my girlfriends family we stopped by Libeskind's ROM (Toronto) project and it included some framed napkin sketches.
Personally, I think sketching on a napkin is fine...but keeping it as part of your work process is barfy if not obsene!!

Dec 30, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Hummmm....next thing you know...toilet paper sketches! I'm sure this medium will be mastered by Japanese Architects, following the
years of creating wood blocks on paper.

Dec 30, 05 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

I like these toilet paper sketches

and these on paper towels

Dec 30, 05 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

oops.

Dec 30, 05 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
vigggo

ive actually never sketched anything architectural on napkins. just stupid stuff like above. And are paper towels not really just napkins on a roll?

That Helmut Jahn napkin looks quite large. Bigger napkins in Germany?

Dec 30, 05 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
vigggo

and thanks, lb. just what we needed in here.

Dec 30, 05 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i don't know whats up with architects and the whole "sketching on napkins" mystique. i think architects like to think of themselves as these creative geniuses, capable of composing the most earth-shattering design at a moments notice. always vigilant, the architect will use anything at his disposal as a means to get his ideas into the world, enter the napkin. that sort of thing. ludicrous. no good idea was ever conceived of on a napkin.

Dec 31, 05 9:17 am  · 
 · 

le bossman couldnt agree more.
And it seems to me that most those sketches are really done after the project has been designed, and thery are done only to show-off. The Helmut Jahn sketches are too advanced to have come out on the first few days of a project, I doubt he really uses them for process, I think it is ego-stroking.

Dec 31, 05 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

I don't think the Helmet Jahn are actually "napkin sketches," I think they're just an artist-edition printed on napkins that the Renaissance Society (contemporary art @ U of Chicago) is selling. (I want those Isaac Julien rings.) And actually -- these napkins (sorry, tangential) from the collection by Nancy Dwyer definitely described my sentiments after way too much studio-time:

Dec 31, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

bossman, I mostly agree. I have often sketched on napkins, but never a skecth of my own "design" - usually I was just trying to explain a detail or plan arrangement of some building I liked/disliked to my drinking companions and, being an architect speaking to other architects, found it easier to communicate graphically than verbally.

Which reminds me of a story I heard in grad school - one of the professors would sit at the bar with his arch school frends in the 60's and they would challenge each other to hand-draw the most accurate Golden Rectangle on their napkin. What a bunch of geeks! I love it.

Dec 31, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And here's a funny parallel - my husband and his friend are currently discussing a sculptural furniture piece they are collaborating on, and my husband just grabbed my son's Play-Do to do a little model to help them figure out how to shape one form. A sculptor's version of the napkin sketch.

Dec 31, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Oct 7, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

i'm around post-its more often than napkins these days:

architects maybe don't drink during the day as much as they used to.

Oct 7, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

was that your Library sketch steven?

Oct 7, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

it was my first sketch of the grosse pointe library expansion, done before we really even launched the charrette, while i was talking on the phone, on a yellow post-it, in less than 5mins.

Oct 7, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: