Archinect
anchor

Alonso moves to McLaren ??

sporadic supernova
http://www.formula1.com/news/3888.html

what the bloddy hell is going on ??

Dec 20, 05 12:44 am
el jeffe

nice to see an article that doesn't mention either schumacher or ferrari for a change.

Dec 20, 05 9:59 am  · 
 · 
J3

thank god! another F1 fan...
Yes, Alonso is moving on. There is a pretty good article on Autosport.com on the matter. This will throw open the doors on the silly season! with rumors that Kimi is on his way to Ferrari in '07 if Michael retires...it could work out. However if MS does not call it quits, then it will be fun to watch. This will definitely put the pressure on KR and JPM this season...kind of fighting for their jobs at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes!

Dec 20, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
norm

it's screwy the way this works. imagine manning playing for the colts one more season before he moves to the cowboys.

have you ever seen a show on the speed network called victory by design? last night they had a show on lotus. man - their cars thru the 70's were just awesome.

Dec 20, 05 11:08 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

an acquaintance had one of these (baby blue) in the early 80's with an engine that was prepped by an F3 engine builder. you needed earplugs when he floored it, but it was very, very nimble.

Dec 20, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
norm

yeah the europa was a sweet ride. i was talking about the single seat race cars but just the same...

Dec 20, 05 11:22 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

except for the occasional alan decadanet show and F1/ALMS coverage i have all but given up on speed channel because of their focus on...

Dec 20, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
TWINE

just in passing...

I love Lotus.

Especially the Exige.

I plan to own one someday, paint it pink, and rip up the Nurburgring.

Dec 20, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
cyphonics

I'm somewhat disappointed after clicking on this topic and realizing it was about Hernan designing cars. Now that would be mildly amusing.

Dec 20, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
cyphonics

I mean "wasn't about" .

Dec 20, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
huh

Is there any truth to the rumor that Valentino Rossi, the MotoGP champ, is moving to Ferrari/F1?

Dec 20, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
J3

It's just that...a rumor. The scuderia has given him several test sessions to get aclimated to this form of racing, and from what the press has said, it's been un-impressive. However, one never knows what a healthy dose of sponsorship money will buy you nowadays...specially in a post vodafone Ferrari (2007-on)

Dec 20, 05 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
enzo76

thank god! another MotoGP fan...

if Rossi makes the move in 07 but Sete finds a way to beat him next year (especially on a duc), that would surely reverse the curse.

oops, now back to F1.

Dec 20, 05 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Valentino Rossi ... c'mon get real. I agree that he done loads of testing but he has not impressed anyone in it.

He'd surely a true champion ... but in Moto GP. Just coz he did well on two wheels , does not mean he'll do well on four wheels ( ok fine ... Damon Hill was different)

One thing I like about the Alonso-McLaren development is that it'll leave a seat vacant in renault. I hope an upstart gets that seat and not some established racer.

on the whole i think that the current feild of drivers is the most competitive set I've seen in over a decade..

Lets see now,

1) Alonso
2) Kimi
3) Montoya
4) Button ( he better shut up and start delivering for a change !!)
5) Rubens
6) Fisichella ( in my opinion.. the most under rated driver)

7) and 8) Shumi and coulthard - vetrans ...and nearing retirment ... but no sane man can ever count them out. too dangerous.. remember , last year was Shumi's worst season ever... and he ended up third.

add to that Shumi's actually taken last seasons defeat pretty badly and he actually cut short his vacation to start testing. he has not done that in a long time + he's happy about the new car .. so should see Shumi and ferrari back into the game.

anyone else ? ... well Nick and Webber .. they're good .. but not championship material !! . what say ? .. and Jaques has lost it alltogether .. just sparks of brilliance in the odd race!!..

as for action on the track ... Sato's back .. so you can expect a lot of collisions ... lol ..

Dec 21, 05 3:39 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

p.s. http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&PO_ID=34749

interesting read

Dec 21, 05 7:25 am  · 
 · 
norm

i'm testing for the open renault seat this weekend. i'm pretty sure i'll do well...as long as they find a place for the beer tap.

Dec 21, 05 8:50 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

wow ... can i come too ....?? haha

Dec 21, 05 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Ok ... i have to take my words back with regards to valentino rossi !!

http://www.eurosports.com/formula1/winter-testing/2005-2006/sport_sto825464.shtml

looks like he is impressive afterall ...
either that , or the new ferrari might be quite a strong one .

I'm actually glad that they've switched back to the V8s from the V10s .. + the new tyre rules looks good !!

Feb 6, 06 8:23 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

the new ferrari's tech specs...

http://www.formula1.com/insight/technical_analysis/team/2006/3/234.html

Feb 6, 06 8:25 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

cyphonics, I'm with you, I expected to read about Hernan.

Speaking of architects designing vehicles, and when the term "Moto GP" comes up:

Michael Czysz designs a really cool motorcycle (turn off your speakers if you're at work

We've discussed him here before, but it's worth bringin up again. I have so much respect for this guy pursuing a dream like this!

Feb 6, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 
jetcetera

spora-super: Sorry to 'dig back ' on you guys, but Ayrton Senna, though he's been dead for almost 12 years, is arguably still the greatest driver ever: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-94755092649073561&q=senna

Schumi was his heir apparent while at Benetton, would've probably only won 4 Championships had Senna not been killed at Imola in '94

3 Times World Champion
65 Poles- a record that still stands.
41 Wins
6 Time Winner at Monaco

...But Alonso's definitely the man. He should do well this year.

Feb 6, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Jetcetera... That was an awesome video !! .. did you notice his hand change when he changed gears ? ... amazing ... now, of course, the gear changes are made on the steering itself ...

and monaco is my favorite track.

About alonso... i dont care too much for him ... i prefer kimi .. he just had the worst luck last season. but the coming season is bound to be better, with the V8s and new tyre rule ... Shumi might just come back too !!

Feb 8, 06 1:31 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Jetcetera... That was an awesome video !! .. did you notice his hand change when he changed gears ? ... amazing ... now, of course, the gear changes are made on the steering itself ...

and monaco is my favorite track.

About alonso... i dont care too much for him ... i prefer kimi .. he just had the worst luck last season. but the coming season is bound to be better, with the V8s and new tyre rule ... Shumi might just come back too !!

Feb 8, 06 1:31 am  · 
 · 
doberman

senna was THE driver, no doubt about that. if it wasnt for his unfortunate premature death the guy would now hold every record in the histoiry of F1. i find F1 bit boring now, not enough overtaking and fighting, it's all become a bit too dull and tame in my opinion. i tend to foillow the WRC more instead.

Feb 8, 06 6:25 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Follow WRC rather than F1?? .. blasphamous !!!

lol .. kidding . I've been following F1 since I was 6 or something .. ( whenever it was when prost won his first championship ) family's been into it , so it was easy to adapt. But I agree that formula 1 has become awefully dull ... but anytime you want excitment .. just let Sato go on a rampage ... haha

btw ... button has been upstaging rubbens regularly during the practice sessions ... funny .. i always thought rubbens was a better driver. ah well ... the race is a different ball game alltogether !!

Feb 8, 06 7:14 am  · 
 · 
a+127

i love that you're all talking F1...any of you know where i can get old races on american vhs or dvd. like 85 or 86....nice senna video by the way. i agree, he's the best. what you think about them switching back to manual old school stick shift?? think it'll make it more interesting? i'm hoping it'll make it more about drivers than technology.

Feb 8, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

naahh .. they'll never switch to the stick shift !! would be interesting if they do. The newbies would take time to adapt !!

Feb 12, 06 6:23 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

hey all F1 fans, do you know about this race:

A1 Grand Prix

"A1 Grand Prix is the first opportunity in any area of motorsport for nations to compete on a level playing field. It is a series where technology and innovation are deliberately equalised and performance is determined by human bravery, skill and excellence. Team and driver combine to create their advantage and the winning nation raises its flag in celebration."

Sounds like open-source for Grand Prix! Maybe I will catch the next race in Laguna Seca!

Feb 14, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
a+127

proposed for 2008

GEARBOXES
- All cars will be fitted with gear ratios, final drive ratios and differentials which have been manufactured by an FIA designated supplier to an agreed specification
- Gear changing will only be permitted by the use of a manually operated mechanical linkage to the gearbox
- Clutches will only be operated via a foot pedal connected mechanically to a release mechanism

i think it would be great...but i don't like how the FIA wants to control everything.

Feb 14, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
J3

The A1 Grand Prix is Ok, but I can't really say much because Speed TV is a 22hr/day NASCRAP channel!
I am not in agreement with the proposed FIA rules. F1 has been and should always be the pinnacle of Motorsports (4-wheeled) regressing back to "old" technology is not the right way to go. Common...not allowing engine development for 3 years? give me a break, where is the innovation? Ok, "All buildings for the next 3 years have to be built 8" CMU-running bond only" ** no experimentation with patterns,geometry allowed. Grout lines are to be 3/4"!!!
With that said, there has to be something done to reduce cost. With some teams budgets exceeding 1/2 billion dollars and manufacturers seeing F1 as a "marketing" tool, I'm sure it will get to a point where No wins=pull out. Carlos Ghosn (head @ Renault) has stated that "his company's commitment to Formula One as long as the French carmaker's involvement in the sport makes business sense."
I sure as hell don't have a solution...but I recognize that the problem is there.

Feb 14, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
J3

BTW, I have my tickets for the final F1 race in the US...the '06 USGP.

Feb 14, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
JerkStoreCalling

The dumb thing is that I think the A1 Race in the US is the same weekend as the 12 Hours of Sebring, which should (deservedly) get the Speed Network coverage.

Feb 14, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

J3, actually its because of these stupid FIA rules that the A1 has come into being

Feb 14, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

A1 racing is just a publicity stunt for Dubai !! .. I mean, I honestly beleive that it'll just fade away eventually .. why ?

1) they dont have the fastest or the best drivers
2) they dont have the fastest cars
3) they dont have the best technology

so all this put together and add in a lil' bit of national pride and they think they have a winner? C'mon .. for the ideal "world cup of grand prixs" or so they claim... should have the best drivers from one country, driving the best car that country can produce, on the best set of tyres that country can produce, driving to set of technical rules

so ideally the german team should be, the schumacher brothers driving a mercedes car.. and so on for every country.

A1 grand prix is just a glorified go kart race !!!

one of them sheikhs from dubai started all this "racing fever" in dubai, in an attempt to get more media coverage for dubai. I know this first hand coz i worked on the project.

Feb 14, 06 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: