Archinect
anchor

Architect's Glasses

Where can I find some good new glasses? I lost mine.

Dec 15, 05 11:48 am

lenscrafters has some good frames. no joke. also they have like 20% off frames and lenses with a AAA card.

Dec 15, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 

well what designers make good looking frames? i'd like something unique, like

Dec 15, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
plastic

in cincinnati try
Mark Buten Eyewear
york vision center
eye1

all three have a great selection. i would pop into any of these places and just try on a bunch...i got my last pair from mark buten...he's a great guy and can get most anything in if he doesn't have it.

Dec 15, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
ochona
http://www.otticacarraro.it/
Dec 15, 05 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Dec 15, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
previously discussed
Dec 15, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

J --- well someone had to say it. Seriously, as someone with ample self-confidence, I still don't think I want to wear the Armani's to the pissed off surly contractor meeting...

Dec 15, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i had my contacts dry out and stick to my eyeballs once while running in 112-degree heat. that's when i decided to go back to glasses. i have to wear them every day, so i spend lots of time and care selecting them.

besides, if you're a geek be a geek. i don't exactly look like i've worked with my hands much. but i've never experienced any disrespect or derision from a contractor for my glasses. maybe it's because i wear $14 workboots i got from payless and i ain't afraid to step in the mud unlike you glasses-less people sporting the $300 shoes that are designed to look like something you found in the track-team locker room circa 1976.

Dec 15, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Fashion Model Architects.....yikes!

Dec 15, 05 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

nice, paul--thanks for the old thread tip, though there isn't too much info there.

plastic, you live in cinci? i went to eye1 today, but it cost loo-oot.

Dec 15, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira
Alain Mikli

's are quite nice.
I've always liked them but you need a square face complexion to wear them, if not they look funny.
BTW, this SERVO guy wears them.

Dec 16, 05 11:46 am  · 
 · 
stegosaurus

Mr. 5.
For real. Don't buy clear frames.
They get dirty and are impossible to keep clean around the lenses, unless you're anally retentive and very skilled at lens removal/maintenance.

Dec 16, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Very good advice, stego. Thanks. I was afraid of that.

Dec 16, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

these retro frames are cool...

Dec 16, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Gene Rayburn...heh heh heh. Most days I wish he were my boss...

Dec 16, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

I want a pair of glasses like I saw Mr. Libeskind wear in a photo. The left side had a square lense and the right side had a trangular lense. They are very very interesting. Very architectural. Does anyone know where I can buy these? Probably not lenscrafter, lol. Karim Rashid also wear cool glasses. I saw him once with glasses that look like traditional eskimo glasses, they wrap around and have a slit at the eyes to look through. His were polished stainless steel I think, not ivory. Where can I buy these?

Dec 16, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Alain Mikli has a picture of Daniel Libeskind on his site, so check them out.

Dec 16, 05 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

Guy pulled up next to me stopped at a light yesterday. I looked over and he had rectangle glasses similar to guy in bottom right quadrant from above, the shiny/spikey paul lewis haircut, and a tight fit winter coat. As his late 80's white(ish) corrola pulled away, the license plate said "rktect"

not that i needed a license plate to figure that out.

Dec 17, 05 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

what a bad advertisement for our profession...too true, though.

Dec 17, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i saw the exact same plate here in austin when i was at a stone-and-tile shop...except it was on like a lexus

and the guy didn't have glasses

Dec 17, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I recently visited a Boston architectural office, and one of the team members there was wearing glasses with suspended lenses. The frame encircled the entire lens, but there was a small gap between the lens and the frame. Basically, the lens was suspended with a tiny cable. The look was SO architectural.

I'd like to get a pair but haven't seen them in stores. Any ideas on how to procure such an item?

Dec 18, 05 11:38 am  · 
 · 
rayreiko

Anyone considering LASIK or had LASIK/refractive eye surgery instead? If you have had it, do you think that your visual acuity is as good as it was when you wore glasses? That's my biggest concern.

I became allergic to my contact lenses so now I have to wear glasses pertty much full-time. As an endurance runner, wearing glasses is a big inconvenience when I want to workout.

Dec 18, 05 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

my brother just had it and loves it; I also have several friends that have had it and love it...I myself am still holding out though

Dec 18, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

My boss had lasik and went from near sighted to far sighted, so he now wears glasses when he didn't, and doesn't when he did. Not for me, thanks.

Dec 18, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.laeyeworks.com/
Dec 19, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I had lasik eye surgery. Here's what happened.

I had contacts, from when I was about 13 years old. I was pretty near-sighted, something like -4.75 in one eye and -5.25 in the other. I went to the eye doctor regularly, and when I was about 22-23, my opthamologist told me that I was developing a condition called "vascularization" in my eyes. This meant that my tiny blood vessels were deprived of oxygen and were trying to get more by growing into my cornea. Yes, ew. I said, "is this serious?" and he said, "well, not now, but if allowed to continue you could go blind".

Then he said, "do you wear your contacts a lot, for extended periods of time?" I said, "I'm working on my senior thesis in architecture. I work for 18 hours a day, staring at the computer for much of it. Does that answer the question?"

I got disposable contacts soon after that but it freaked my mom out so much she gave me Lasik surgery for my birthday/christmas present the next year. And I'm quite glad I did, although studies have shown that the eyes tend to drift back towards near/far-sightedness by about 10 years after the surgery. Still, I'd much rather have a smart-looking pair of frames for some of the time than suffocating contacts for most of the time. I haven't had to get a new prescription yet though, and it's been almost 3 years.

So it's worth it, in my opinion.

Dec 19, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

besides the fact that i really like glasses, i'm pretty wary of surgical/medical procedures in general and lasik specifically. god made me nearsighted, but god also gave me ottica carraro.

Dec 19, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
rayreiko

Thanks for sharing your LASIK stories. I'm pretty nearsighted (-6.25 and -6.0) so I'm wary of surgery since I'm not an ideal candidate.

Sociological aspects: anyone have thoughts on the mystique (or non-mystique) that glasses give to people in design professions? People definitely treat you differently when you wear glasses. Do designers enjoy to "branding" themselves with their glasses/haircuts/avant-garde clothing?

Dec 20, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Do designers enjoy to "branding" themselves with their glasses/haircuts/avant-garde clothing?

Yes.

And it was most fun to do so when I was also visibly pregnant.

Dec 20, 05 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

my wife once said that a stylish person (oh, hell, she said WOMAN, not person) knows how to "take it from where it is and put it where it ain't." that's my theory with glasses. i personally use my glasses to hide my mug. trust me, it's the first (and typically only) thing people remember about my face. people don't even know who i am without my glasses on

Dec 20, 05 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

DCA, those glasses with the suspended lenses sound REALLY REALLY coool. If anyone know where I can find glasses like them please let me know. Is is possible to have custom made eyeglasses, by the way?

5, thanks for the Alain Mikli lead.

Dec 21, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 

check www.theo.be, though you won't be able to afford them.

found some frames, so i'm off the thread. peace.

Dec 21, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

If I may suggest a "Total" look...

Dec 21, 05 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

A yes. A young Eisenman...

Dec 21, 05 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Today I was engaged in conversation with a woman who had super-cool eyeglasses It turns out they are from Maryam Zaim. Anyone ever heard of the company or seen anything similar?

Nov 5, 06 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
the collection

# Ref MT3: C3431, 1022, 0539, 1825

Nov 5, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

get these and be done with it - http://www.faceaface-paris.com/index.php

Nov 5, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

WHAAA! What a great site! I am sold! Damn they have some wicked cool sh@t.

Nov 5, 06 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

my above link created an email hotlink. Ooopps.. should have used a different character instead of the (at) character :)

Nov 5, 06 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I like the suspended twins3_col.951 frame...gotta get me a pair.

Nov 5, 06 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Yes, Katze... that's the website (Maryam Zaim) from which I linked the photo... :) I was wondering if anyone had seen them in the retail market or had any opinions about them.

Nov 5, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm actually currently lusting for these:

My current glasses are colored plastic and sorta horn-rimmed and definitely more "trendy" than these wire ones I want - but these look really, really pretty on. I'm thinking at 40 I'm old enough to stop being so trendy and maybe go a little more classy.

'Course no matter what glasses I get I'll still be a slob and make overly sexual comments at inappropriate moments, so perhaps classy isn't quite the right word.

Nov 5, 06 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

DCA - no personal opinions - like them is all.

lb- fan-tab-ul-lous! good taste as always :)

Nov 5, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

DCA, I like these: they look kinda like zebra wood even though I know it's plastic:

Also, the PH7's are verrrry cute, with the subtle frilliness on the top edge - especially in the fuschia, though slightly more understated perhaps in purple:

Nov 5, 06 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

that looks like the wood they used in the round table at the algonquin...

Nov 5, 06 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
some person

hrm... wood-esque glasses for an architect... is it the next tortoise shell?

I have these (see below) Anne Klein glasses now and have had them for almost 3 years. I think it's ready for a change, but I'm not crazy about all of the rectangular frames that are so trendy right now.

Nov 5, 06 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

wood...algonquin...sounds like a bevis and butthead epidode!!

Nov 5, 06 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

DCA - pretty cool frames :)

Nov 5, 06 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

what type of glasses make women look hot, in your opinion?

Nov 6, 06 2:48 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

beer glasses of course

Nov 6, 06 5:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: